Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone Know This Race Car?
jamesjedi
post Dec 19 2016, 03:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,205

I was wondering if anyone knows it or has looked at it? Thanks

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-car...oller-sale.html
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 19 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #2

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

I know a little about it. Ken the owner was very active in our Region in the late 80s & early 90s. Then about 10 years ago he got the racing bug and bought 4 or 5 cars (I know one was a Rothman Series 944 Cup). He hadn't been racing since he had a 356, so he hired me to Coach him for a day in the 914-6. Except he didn't show up with the Teener, he brought a Boxster ( & 2 Mechanics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ).

He was friggen Huge (his gut was against the Steering Wheel). ! and had to wear a cool shirt even though it was cool weather. Easily one of the worst students I ever had and I gave him his money back, minus my expenses - he couldn't figure out Sebring at all even with me talking him around.

He ran this car a couple of times & then I saw it was FS. I know it has been a Race Car a long time & I'm sure that Ken spent money on the Drivetrain but that is long gone.
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Dec 20 2016, 12:09 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,961

Figured u would have Info on this one

+Quote Post
jamesjedi
post Dec 20 2016, 07:50 AM
Post #4

Thanks for the reply. I know you cant tell much from the picture, but what do you think it is worth?
+Quote Post
gms
post Dec 21 2016, 12:02 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(jamesjedi @ Dec 20 2016, 07:50 AM) *

Thanks for the reply. I know you cant tell much from the picture, but what do you think it is worth?

It is very difficult to value a race car especially without a drive train. It probably cost a lot more to build and paint the car than they are asking but it ultimately comes down to tube structure design and how well it is constructed. Also check the rules of the organization you are going to race with because a lot of vintage groups are very picky about modern parts and extensive tube framing running in their groups. Most would have a problem the Baker nose and the shape of the quarter panels I see in the pictures of this car.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 21 2016, 12:45 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Just seconding checking out the rules of the organization you plan on running.

That roll cage wouldn't be acceptable, i.e., not high enough, given that the windshield is gone, with some groups.

To be legal with SCCA the roll bar height has to be a couple of inches above the helmet.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 21 2016, 02:25 PM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

didn't the red imsa 914 that was restored yellow, now being turned into a 904 sell for 20k running driving ??

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 21 2016, 03:41 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

check out this one
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2436069
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 21 2016, 04:32 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

QUOTE(gms @ Dec 21 2016, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(jamesjedi @ Dec 20 2016, 07:50 AM) *

It is very difficult to value a race car especially without a drive train. It probably cost a lot more to build and paint the car than they are asking but it ultimately comes down to tube structure design and how well it is constructed. Also check the rules of the organization you are going to race with because a lot of vintage groups are very picky about modern parts and extensive tube framing running in their groups. Most would have a problem the Baker nose and the shape of the quarter panels I see in the pictures of this car.

Agreed
Agreed
Agreed

you need to determine which sanctioning body you are going to run the car in
It won't meet the rules for some sanctioning bodies
so knowing the rules first is the necessary step
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Dec 22 2016, 05:00 AM
Post #10

The what its worth question gets murky.........surely much less than the owner/seller thinks it is....and that's not being cute. The obsolete issue and not conforming to any sanctioning body puts it in never never land. The seller is thinking what it cost to build but if you have to reconstruct your cost is higher so judge by that idea.
Plus you generally find these things have sat around for much longer than anyone remembers so everything needs refreshing. Unless there is some "provenance " go low ...you will spent a lot getting it trackable.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Dec 23 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Note the HSR sticker on the windscreen - Group 9. This is where 997 RS's Corvettes 935's etc run. No way this car is competitive in that class.

Group 9 because it would not be legal in Group 3, where 914's are competitive.
+Quote Post
jamesjedi
post Dec 23 2016, 03:44 PM
Post #12

Thanks to all the replies. Great information. I have always loved the 914 platform. I also like the "underdog" element of the car.

I am building (very slowly) a 911 track car. However, I am always thinking if changing to the 914.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 30 2016, 09:56 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316

It was 15

T

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 21 2016, 03:25 PM) *

didn't the red imsa 914 that was restored yellow, now being turned into a 904 sell for 20k running driving ??

+Quote Post
bretth
post Dec 31 2016, 12:26 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ugh I can't be the only one that hates when the windscreen frame is cut off. Could it really save that much weight? The car just becomes too far gone to ever go back to a street car with it removed, seems so much more of the value is gone. Couldn't they just remove the glass?
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 31 2016, 12:41 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

It has little to do with wieght savings...the drag reduction and increase in downforce is HUGE without it! Its a race car - no big deal. Think of it like artistic license...

T

QUOTE(bretth @ Dec 31 2016, 01:26 AM) *

Ugh I can't be the only one that hates when the windscreen frame is cut off. Could it really save that much weight? The car just becomes too far gone to ever go back to a street car with it removed, seems so much more of the value is gone. Couldn't they just remove the glass?
+Quote Post
jamesjedi
post Dec 31 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 30 2016, 10:41 PM) *

It has little to do with wieght savings...the drag reduction and increase in downforce is HUGE without it! Its a race car - no big deal. Think of it like artistic license...

T

QUOTE(bretth @ Dec 31 2016, 01:26 AM) *

This is in reference to the removed windscreen. From the December 2016 Excellence magazine in reference to a 914 6 vintage race car. I was curious about what they did to this car. Hopefully I have accurately quoted it;

"it was decided to revert to the "closed" cockpit design. "We had been getting faster and faster and with that, more unstable at high speeds, says Tiplady......Jeff (Gamroth?) talked to a bunch of people and dtermined that re-topping it would greatly improve aerodynamics. It did!"

I believe it had a 2.8 built by Jeff Gamroth.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 31 2016, 03:00 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Not withstanding limitations to modify a historic-class car - the more speed that is created would have to be accounted for via aero improvements. This is stating the obvious of course...

If a driver cannot adapt or have the skill to adapt to a fast-er, loose-er car...one solution would be to make the car slower. Its not that a top makes a faster car more stable; rather, removing the top makes the car much faster (and inherently harder to control near its limits).

PS: I have not seen or read the article being referenced so shooting blind here...

Tony
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jan 2 2017, 09:38 AM
Post #18

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

I bought this old FP 914 7 years ago with a dead engine for $2500. They spent a lot of money getting it built. The owner had many Porsche race cars when he passed away. The original asking price was $9K after no takers and a few phone calls later I was able to get it for $2500.

I then spent a fair amount of $$ getting it back in track shape (plus a had 3.0L /6 installed). A fun car that I planned to do some autocross stuff and just track days. It could run with the MWC in their vintage group also. I sold it a few years ago.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jamesjedi
post Jan 3 2017, 04:03 PM
Post #19

I may do something similar. I really enjoy autocross, and I cant afford to do the vintage racing scene. Certainly not an entire season.
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Jan 3 2017, 06:19 PM
Post #20

Going to add a comment based on what you just posted. You are in the same boat as many of us here.... but more importantly you can build or even better, buy a street legal prepared 914 that will be a great AX car. To be competitive it may not be too comfortable but it will be driveable. You accomplish a lot by doing that......the car can be shaken out on the street making it more reliable. There is an old formula for building a car for axing in stages that was generated by the founder of Automotion, Tom Green...For years I used his formula which was 21mm front bar 180 lb rear springs no rear bar. Good shocks, lowered and good alignment/corner balance and my car was consistently fast with a stock 2 liter ( pretty much). Eventually you do more ( like adjustable prop valve, better pads, exhaust ) but there is no need to sit on the side lines building you drive it.
Just some things to ponder. and good luck !

quote name='jamesjedi' date='Jan 3 2017, 02:03 PM' post='2440499']
I may do something similar. I really enjoy autocross, and I cant afford to do the vintage racing scene. Certainly not an entire season.
[/quote]
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:11 AM