Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone Know This Race Car?
campbellcj
post Jan 3 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #21

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Years ago, I had a tremendous amount of relatively affordable fun in my narrow body, small displacement 914s. For autocross or time-attack/time-trial use while keeping the car reasonable streetable and re-sellable, definitely do not rule that out as an option.

Sometimes I almost regret pouring the untold hours and dollars into extensive mods later -- as my speed junkie habit worsened -- because obviously there is a significant diminishing returns aspect. After a while, you get into cubic dollars/hours to add each additional HP or lose another few ounces. Don't get me wrong, the thrill factor is awesome and the car build itself can be a fun adventure too, but you might get 80% of the fun at 20% of the cost by going a less extreme route...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 4 2017, 12:43 AM
Post #22

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

what about this complete 914..recent real offering

Only needs new belts and seat for next year. Ready to race!

Car is a proper racecar, very quick and well sorted. Message here or call John at 416 419 3672 email is john@jollyjumper.com
Located in Lewiston NY $21,900 obo

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2436069
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 4 2017, 04:03 PM
Post #23

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 3 2017, 11:43 PM) *

what about this complete 914..recent real offering

Only needs new belts and seat for next year. Ready to race!

Car is a proper racecar, very quick and well sorted. Message here or call John at 416 419 3672 email is john@jollyjumper.com
Located in Lewiston NY $21,900 obo

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2436069

got to be a good deal... even with the less than powerful motor.
probably 50cents on the dollar compared to the cost to build the same
maybe better....
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 2 2017, 06:57 AM
Post #24

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

[quote name='sixaddict' date='Jan 3 2017, 05:19 PM' post='2440538']
Going to add a comment based on what you just posted. You are in the same boat as many of us here.... but more importantly you can build or even better, buy a street legal prepared 914 that will be a great AX car. To be competitive it may not be too comfortable but it will be driveable. You accomplish a lot by doing that......the car can be shaken out on the street making it more reliable. There is an old formula for building a car for axing in stages that was generated by the founder of Automotion, Tom Green...For years I used his formula which was 21mm front bar 180 lb rear springs no rear bar. Good shocks, lowered and good alignment/corner balance and my car was consistently fast with a stock 2 liter ( pretty much). Eventually you do more ( like adjustable prop valve, better pads, exhaust ) but there is no need to sit on the side lines building you drive it.
Just some things to ponder. and good luck !

quote name='jamesjedi' date='Jan 3 2017, 02:03 PM' post='2440499']
I may do something similar. I really enjoy autocross, and I cant afford to do the vintage racing scene. Certainly not an entire season.
[/quote]
[/quote]
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This was my /4 entry in AX and it was a great car. Barely streetable but lots of low power fun and your skills will leap.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jamesjedi
post Apr 2 2017, 11:55 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 5,205

[quote name='RobW' date='Apr 2 2017, 04:57 AM' post='2470939']
[quote name='sixaddict' date='Jan 3 2017, 05:19 PM' post='2440538']
Going to add a comment based on what you just posted. You are in the same boat as many of us here.... but more importantly you can build or even better, buy a street legal prepared 914 that will be a great AX car. To be competitive it may not be too comfortable but it will be driveable. You accomplish a lot by doing that......the car can be shaken out on the street making it more reliable. There is an old formula for building a car for axing in stages that was generated by the founder of Automotion, Tom Green...For years I used his formula which was 21mm front bar 180 lb rear springs no rear bar. Good shocks, lowered and good alignment/corner balance and my car was consistently fast with a stock 2 liter ( pretty much). Eventually you do more ( like adjustable prop valve, better pads, exhaust ) but there is no need to sit on the side lines building you drive it.
Just some things to ponder. and good luck !

quote name='jamesjedi' date='Jan 3 2017, 02:03 PM' post='2440499']
I may do something similar. I really enjoy autocross, and I cant afford to do the vintage racing scene. Certainly not an entire season.
[/quote]
[/quote]
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This was my /4 entry in AX and it was a great car. Barely streetable but lots of low power fun and your skills will leap.
[/quote]

It looks like both cars have been sold. There will always be another. Thanks for the replies.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:23 AM