Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Assembly Lube Question
Cazz
post Dec 22 2016, 10:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,688
Region Association: None

I am a Newbie here. Rebuilding the engine on my 2.0 914

Question: Using assembly lube on the bottom end components. Is it used everywhere? I know it's used on the camshaft lobes but is it used on all bearings, lifters, cylinder walls and crank as well? Will it clog up oil holes and passages?

Ive talked to several people who just use oil instead of assembly lube.

Which is better
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 22 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

I've never use it except on cams but I always prelube with motor oil during assembly,I never start any engine until I have good oil pressure.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Dec 22 2016, 01:35 PM
Post #3

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

A lot of folks also use lube depending on how long the motor will sit before being ran. More than 6 months=use lube.
+Quote Post
zipedadoo
post Dec 22 2016, 01:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 16,921

I use assembly lube on the cam and lifters and clean motor oil on every thing else.

I have never seen assembly lube plug up a oil passage but I have seen it plug up a new oil filter.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 22 2016, 02:25 PM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

The /4 and /6 are totally different animals to assemble.
A /6 has way more sealants, many in close proximity to the bearings, it would be a total PITA to assemble with dripping oil.

Main, rod and cam bearings on /4 (T1 and T4) I use oil mixed with little STP blue.
On a /6 I use Clevette 77 bearing guard.

Both /4 and /6 cams I use a quality moly cam lube, in the past I used straight STP blue. On the faces only, never on bearings or lifter bores.

Rings and cylinders I've done both dry and using oil, I don't really see the difference. Now I assemble dry and shoot 2-3 good squirts of oil down the plug holes once I put on the heads. Once the rockers are all done I hose the springs and rockers with my oil/STP mix before the covers go on.

I always put a hair of axle grease (swepco 101) on main seal lips.

All the engines I've built I never prime them, the exception being engines with aftermarket deep sumps with full flow oil systems.
What I do is use is a bit of swepco on the pump gears, this gives more than adequate suction to prime the pump.

BTW I would never use STP as an oil treatment, but the blue bottle is great stuff for making oil a little sticky for assembly lube and for my lathe.
About a blob in an oilcan does the trick. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 09:18 AM