Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Momo Question, Early or Late Adapter
BeatNavy
post Dec 26 2016, 09:17 AM
Post #1

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Santa brought me a Momo Prototipo for my '72. I know I need the hub adapter, and I know there's an early and a late adapter, with the early one being NLA, and that putting a later adapter (accordion type) on an early car is not ideal. What I can't tell in this case is the specific cutoff. Is "early" in this case '71 and '70? Will the late adapter (p/n 8002) work with my '72?

If I need the early adapter, are any of those third party early adapters being sold a decent option?

TIA.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Catorse
post Dec 26 2016, 10:17 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,106
Region Association: Southwest Region

I just went through this on my 1970. I can't tell you what the cutoff date is because I have an early car and I wasn't paying much attention to the later stuff, but I can tell you the hubs are TOTALLY different form one another. You simply cannot use a late hub on an early car, will not work at all.

I searched high and low for a MOMO 8000 adapter and finally paid a ransom payment of $400 to some rapist for a complete turd that needed to be refinished. Now I have a momo on my car, so I guess it's OK.

As a comparison, the late adapters were going for $40-50 all day, cheap enough where you could buy one to test it out and not be worried about the loss of $50.
+Quote Post
Mr.Nobody
post Dec 26 2016, 10:40 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,557
Region Association: Southern California

I went through this just a few months ago and from what I figured out the early is considered 70 + 71. My issue arose with my car being a 72 built in December of 71. I called pelican and they said to go with the later hub because the car should have been built to the 72 spec. The later hub ended up working just fine and I've been enjoying a Prototipo for some time now.

Hope that helps.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Dec 26 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

I have a momo tuner on my 70 six. I do not remember going through any unusual effort to get the adapter. It is the welded "cage" type with the rubber accordion boot. Works fine.

Did I miss something ?? Maybe the four one is different??
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Dec 26 2016, 10:59 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Mr.Nobody @ Dec 26 2016, 11:40 AM) *

I went through this just a few months ago and from what I figured out the early is considered 70 + 71. My issue arose with my car being a 72 built in December of 71. I called pelican and they said to go with the later hub because the car should have been built to the 72 spec. The later hub ended up working just fine and I've been enjoying a Prototipo for some time now.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! I think this answers my question. I'll go with the late one.

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Dec 26 2016, 11:46 AM) *

I have a momo tuner on my 70 six. I do not remember going through any unusual effort to get the adapter. It is the welded "cage" type with the rubber accordion boot. Works fine.

Gerry, there is a different p/n for 914/6, but I would have thought the late one wouldn't work on your car.

Here's the application guide for reference, but I wanted to be sure: https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Momo_Ste...ation_Guide.pdf

+Quote Post
Blue6
post Dec 26 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,470

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Dec 26 2016, 08:46 AM) *

Yes, they are different. Believe it or not there is a third hub, #0230, that fits the 914-6 and early 911.
Rob, what's the build date on your car? I helped a friend install a #8002 on a 72 with a feb build date.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Dec 26 2016, 11:15 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Blue6 @ Dec 26 2016, 12:02 PM) *

Rob, what's the build date on your car? I helped a friend install a #8002 on a 72 with a feb build date.

Chassis number is 4549555, which would be a November 72 build date, right?
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Dec 26 2016, 11:19 AM
Post #8

If that's the case, you would be past 72MY change and the #8002 would fit.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Dec 26 2016, 11:29 AM
Post #9

Sweet. Thanks for everyone's help.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Dec 26 2016, 11:36 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

If your car is a '72 wouldn't it have been built in November of 1971?
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Dec 26 2016, 11:53 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 26 2016, 12:36 PM) *

If your car is a '72 wouldn't it have been built in November of 1971?

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Then my original question is still in play, and I'll probably have the same issue as Mr. Nobody above (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Dec 26 2016, 09:22 PM
Post #12

Rob, what's the third digit in your VIN. That will tell you your MY...
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 28 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #13

I just want to close the loop on this one to hopefully provide more info on the Momo early/late adapter question, as I know it can be confusing. At least I was confused. Maybe this will help someone.

With a model year '72 (Nov '71 build date) I was able to get the Momo on using the late adapter (p/n 8002). It fits well, and everything functions correctly, but it was not a totally straightforward process.

I was initially confused because the adapter would easily fit onto a late steering column that I have, but it would not go on at all on my '72 for some reason. After confirming that early/late columns should have the same spline count/OD, and after lightly cleaning up the finishing on the ID of the adapter, I was able to get it onto the column. For some reason the tolerance was slightly different on each column (or perhaps there's something else interfering). It is still a very tight fit, and once on it does NOT like to come off.

The other thing that's confusing is installing the horn / canceling ring. The mounting holes don't seem to line up, and part of the adaptor housing seems to interfere with the horn grounding wire mount. I read on here that someone had to Dremel out part of the adaptor to get it to fit, and that's what I did as well. Finally, because of the offset of the mounting holes, I had a hard time getting the horn ring to mount evenly and in alignment with the hub. It took me a few minutes to figure out why the horn would sound when turning the wheel far to the right or left until I noticed that the horn contacts would end up grounding to the adaptor housing. I may have been better off just drilling new holes to mount the ring. Anyway, with some fiddling it's working now.

Ok, my lessons learned (FWIW, YMMV): 1) Late adaptor (p/n 8002) should work with cars built at least as early as 1st week of Nov '71 and later. 2) Tolerance of the adaptor may be very tight. I believe it should at least go onto the splines of early or late cars, but early cars will leave a significant "gap." 3) You will likely have to make adjustments to get the horn/canceling ring to fit properly - it may not be 'plug and play'. 4) This applies to 914/4, not /6 which has a separate adaptor p/n.

All said and done, I love the new steering wheel.
Attached Image

Damn, looks like I need to dust and vacuum a bit...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:58 PM