Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Online Porsche business for sale?, Anyone we know?
Steve
post Dec 26 2016, 07:45 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/5924768273.html
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 26 2016, 07:49 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 26 2016, 05:45 PM) *

Hmm I have some ideas of whom it may be.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Dec 26 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #3

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Same guy that thinks bare 914 trans cases are worth $250 each?
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 26 2016, 08:02 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Is this the remainder of Otto's stash? I visited the collection a year ago in a hanger at the Long Beach airport. Most of it was crap, but I did by a 914 seat worth restoring
+Quote Post
pete000
post Dec 26 2016, 11:41 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Doesn't look like 1.8 Million worth of parts !
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 27 2016, 09:48 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 26 2016, 09:41 PM) *

Doesn't look like 1.8 Million worth of parts !

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 27 2016, 09:56 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

There are a couple of these "turn-key" businesses for sale right now. I've seen enough of these to know that normally the stuff guys have left when they want to sell out is the stuff that doesn't sell. There was a well known parts dealer in Maine who wanted me to buy him out about 5 years ago. We made a trip up there and did a full inventory. it was stuff like he had 100 rusty coupe doors, I already had 30 in my collection, did I need 130? Or my favorite, he had 275 356 B/C steering columns, he said, "I get $100 each for those?" I countered with, "I would be able to sell 5 in my lifetime, so that leaves me 270 to make an Effiel Tower in my front yard."

If you are thinking of buying into one of those businesses do your homework and don't get wowed by the quantity, look closer at the quality. This stash looks like a lot of empty engine and gearbox cases, 914 Targa tops, and door shells. Try selling some of those items before you spend thousands to own a building full of them.
It's also important to look at who is selling the stuff. If the guy is in good health and just wants out of the business be wary. Most people get into this business based on their passion for the Marque and they normally only want out of a dream job if they aren't making any money. Now if the guy is in bad health and still passionate, that makes a deal more interesting so it's not the business that is sick, it's him, which means you can take the baton and keep the race going.
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Dec 27 2016, 10:06 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,470

Steve, From the pics, it looks like the guy in San Gabriel. He used to be on here as Carreara6, but had changed screen name. I can't remember his new name...
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 27 2016, 10:11 AM
Post #9

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Selling a biz on Craigslist for $1.8m is one of the craziest ideas I've seen in a long time. Like someone reading cl is looking for that sort of investment.
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Dec 27 2016, 10:18 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,469

Not that I have 1.8M to invest in a company but changing your screen name makes me anxious
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 27 2016, 11:10 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 27 2016, 08:11 AM) *

Selling a biz on Craigslist for $1.8m is one of the craziest ideas I've seen in a long time. Like someone reading cl is looking for that sort of investment.

I think he is saying 1.8 million in inventory, I don't think that's his asking price.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 27 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Maybe AA will buy it and call it their new used lost wharehous
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 27 2016, 03:00 PM
Post #13

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

My guess is that is David Buhain, I don't remember his eBay name, but he used to have things on there with homerun or grandslam prices.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Dec 27 2016, 03:49 PM
Post #14

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 27 2016, 09:56 AM) *

There are a couple of these "turn-key" businesses for sale right now. I've seen enough of these to know that normally the stuff guys have left when they want to sell out is the stuff that doesn't sell. There was a well known parts dealer in Maine who wanted me to buy him out about 5 years ago. We made a trip up there and did a full inventory. it was stuff like he had 100 rusty coupe doors, I already had 30 in my collection, did I need 130? Or my favorite, he had 275 356 B/C steering columns, he said, "I get $100 each for those?" I countered with, "I would be able to sell 5 in my lifetime, so that leaves me 270 to make an Effiel Tower in my front yard."

If you are thinking of buying into one of those businesses do your homework and don't get wowed by the quantity, look closer at the quality. This stash looks like a lot of empty engine and gearbox cases, 914 Targa tops, and door shells. Try selling some of those items before you spend thousands to own a building full of them.
It's also important to look at who is selling the stuff. If the guy is in good health and just wants out of the business be wary. Most people get into this business based on their passion for the Marque and they normally only want out of a dream job if they aren't making any money. Now if the guy is in bad health and still passionate, that makes a deal more interesting so it's not the business that is sick, it's him, which means you can take the baton and keep the race going.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I have standing offers from a few people with sizable 914 stashes that want me to buy their whole stash of cars / parts. Unless there is a some valuable parts that can sell quickly to recover your costs it is not worth it. In all my years of buying parts cars & parts I have only jumped on two "collections" because of fair prices and quality parts.

If anyone is thinking about jumping in keep in mind you have to transport, sort and then store all that. Then there is selling, shipping and more. Doing it as a hobby is one thing, but when you try to make it a business that changes everything. It is a lot time and effort, more than you ever think it will be. As me how I know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 27 2016, 04:15 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Dec 27 2016, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 27 2016, 09:56 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I have standing offers from a few people with sizable 914 stashes that want me to buy their whole stash of cars / parts. Unless there is a some valuable parts that can sell quickly to recover your costs it is not worth it. In all my years of buying parts cars & parts I have only jumped on two "collections" because of fair prices and quality parts.

If anyone is thinking about jumping in keep in mind you have to transport, sort and then store all that. Then there is selling, shipping and more. Doing it as a hobby is one thing, but when you try to make it a business that changes everything. It is a lot time and effort, more than you ever think it will be. As me how I know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

The ratio that normally works with large stashes is you will sell 1/3 of the stuff in the first year, the next 1/3 in 3-5 years and at some point in this break even, and then you'll sell the last 1/3 never ever, you will be buried with it.
But you have to have at least 1/3 of the stuff be quickly and easily sell-able, not empty gearbox cases and targa tops.
And yes you also have to figure in transport, storage, marketing, selling and then shipping. You can read about one such trip here, you can even pick out Pretty Boy Scotty B if you look close.
https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2014/07...sche-barn-find/
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 27 2016, 05:20 PM
Post #16

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

How valuation is done is everything. Even at .10 on the dollar you may pay too much.

Ask what his sales are. Typically a business is worth 2-2/12 X earnings inventory is just a ine item for equity
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 27 2016, 05:38 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 27 2016, 03:20 PM) *

How valuation is done is everything. Even at .10 on the dollar you may pay too much.

Ask what his sales are. Typically a business is worth 2-2/12 X earnings inventory is just a ine item for equity

Even that can be tricky, he could show you good sales going back 5 years, except that might have been him selling off all the good stuff. These stashes are finite unless you continuously add to them, trust me I know, which is why I'm always on the road.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 27 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #18

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The headline says 1 dollar.

Maybe some lawyer type should offer a dollar, and sue him for false advertising when he won't accept.

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 27 2016, 06:01 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 27 2016, 03:45 PM) *

The headline says 1 dollar.

Maybe some lawyer type should offer a dollar, and sue him for false advertising when he won't accept.

I hate ads like that!
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 28 2016, 12:15 AM
Post #20

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Some things best just to steer clear of
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 09:41 PM