Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Online Porsche business for sale?, Anyone we know?
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 24 2017, 06:06 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

He is now down to 1.2 million and he is pumping it all over.

The website is http://www.carrerapartsonline.com/

He is saying the parts on the website is only 25% of the parts. Someone might want to buy the $225,000 917 stash.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 25 2017, 02:35 AM
Post #22

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Oh, Carrara6... he offered to sell me a cookie for $200 + shipping. I guess members get a discount (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Cookie Cutter Wheel C6#(5178)
SKU: 10-UB
$300.00
Cookie Cutter Wheel
Porsche Factory Part# 91136102344
Date Stamp: 76
6Jx15
ATS
*Has hairline crack, as seen on pic

Inventory retail value that I've seen..... 1/10th of asking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 25 2017, 07:39 AM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 25 2017, 03:35 AM) *

Oh, Carrara6... he offered to sell me a cookie for $200 + shipping. I guess members get a discount (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Cookie Cutter Wheel C6#(5178)
SKU: 10-UB
$300.00
Cookie Cutter Wheel
Porsche Factory Part# 91136102344
Date Stamp: 76
6Jx15
ATS
*Has hairline crack, as seen on pic

Inventory retail value that I've seen..... 1/10th of asking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

1 cookie for $300 and it's cracked! What a deal!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Jan 25 2017, 09:22 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Looking at the size of this part lot (see the listing on Pelican), a few things strike me:

This is a lot of parts!

There are certainly other big stashes like this out there - DC Automotive, Asse bros, etc etc

Ultimately my point is, the number of parts available way exceeds the demand for most of this stuff. Even if you were giving it away, there would be few takers on most of it.

Of course there are the few very desirable NLA stuff that brings big bucks, but again the market for that is small.

Makes me wonder about the whole dynamic of our little vintage Porsche culture. Maybe I am underestimating the size of the market but it all seems pretty fragile to me.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 25 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jan 25 2017, 07:22 AM) *

Looking at the size of this part lot (see the listing on Pelican), a few things strike me:

This is a lot of parts!

There are certainly other big stashes like this out there - DC Automotive, Asse bros, etc etc

Ultimately my point is, the number of parts available way exceeds the demand for most of this stuff. Even if you were giving it away, there would be few takers on most of it.

Of course there are the few very desirable NLA stuff that brings big bucks, but again the market for that is small.

Makes me wonder about the whole dynamic of our little vintage Porsche culture. Maybe I am underestimating the size of the market but it all seems pretty fragile to me.

There is an insatiable market for certain parts, nice steering wheels, I can sell 1000 of them. Empty gearbox cases or steering columns, I would be lucky to sell one a year. The problem about buying a large warehouse of stuff is you actually have to move it, and then have a place to store it, both of those things cost tens of thousands, before you can even hope to sell anything. There is also a "doubles" dynamic that comes into play if you are already in the business and buying out someone else. A 356 parts seller wanted me to buy him out several years ago, I did an inventory, a couple of things stuck in my head. One was he had over 100 rusty coupe doors, I already had about 30 myself, did I really need 130, would I ever catch up to that, or he had 275 B/C steering columns, I figured I would sell about a dozen in my lifetime, that leaves me 263 to make an Effiel Tower in my front yard with. If you want to see what it takes to move a warehouse, check out this story on my blog, and if you look close you can catch a Scotty B cameo!
https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2014/07...sche-barn-find/
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 25 2017, 01:34 PM
Post #26

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jan 25 2017, 10:22 AM) *

This is a lot of parts!

DC Auto has a 140,000sq/ft building and is busy selling new and used Porsche parts. I'm good friends with Rob - the owner, and he has a very good handle on the Porsche market. His inventory of new parts is growing daily. I'm down there about once a month. Trust me, there won't be any - going out of business sales at his place.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Jan 25 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 26 2016, 11:41 PM) *

Doesn't look like 1.8 Million worth of parts !

Even at $1.2M it still doesn't. But I'm sure half of that is what he values the "business" as with the fully operational website and customer list.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 25 2017, 01:52 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 25 2017, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 26 2016, 11:41 PM) *

Doesn't look like 1.8 Million worth of parts !

Even at $1.2M it still doesn't. But I'm sure half of that is what he values the "business" as with the fully operational website and customer list.

Or if all of a sudden it catches fire.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 25 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Here are some real examples of the "double" rule. When I go to a guy's place to buy stuff and has a pile of B/C tail light lenses, turn signals, horns, or a jack and starts quoting ebay prices to me I have to think, if I put his on top of the stack, is it really worth what he says it is, when will I get to the 200th tail light?
These are real things you have to think when you buy a large stash of parts. How many gearbox cases will you really ever sell, and if the guy has 20 of them on a shelf and has them in inventory being worth $300 each, is that really a $6000 shelf, or a $600 shelf because you might only sell two in your lifetime. So when someone says they have millions in inventory, is it real, or just paper?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 25 2017, 02:56 PM
Post #30

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 25 2017, 03:48 PM) *

Here are some real examples of the "double" rule. When I go to a guy's place to buy stuff and has a pile of B/C tail light lenses, turn signals, horns, or a jack and starts quoting ebay prices to me I have to think, if I put his on top of the stack, is it really worth what he says it is, when will I get to the 200th tail light?
These are real things you have to think when you buy a large stash of parts. How many gearbox cases will you really ever sell, and if the guy has 20 of them on a shelf and has them in inventory being worth $300 each, is that really a $6000 shelf, or a $600 shelf because you might only sell two in your lifetime. So when someone says they have millions in inventory, is it real, or just paper?

Excellent points
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 26 2017, 12:20 PM
Post #31

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Nice stash of jacks and horns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 26 2017, 06:00 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 26 2017, 10:20 AM) *

Nice stash of jacks and horns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Thanks, you should see the tractor trailer box full of engine sheet metal!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 01:53 PM