Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need to Power Car Radio on the Bench Top, 110v to 12v converter
gcrotvik
post Dec 31 2016, 02:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,134
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Trying to find a 110 volt power supply to power a 12 volt car radio for installation and sound testing. Looked on-line and need a recomendation as to what to use/buy.

Thanks,

Greg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 31 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I bought a 12v 5 amp power supply at Radio Shack many years ago. Works great for stuff like that.
Also check out ham radio outlet.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Dec 31 2016, 04:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

+1 on the Radio Shack one.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 31 2016, 04:36 PM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Ummmm.....a 12v Battery charger. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Dec 31 2016, 04:49 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 19,670
Region Association: None

Don't think you will get a "clean" sound by powering with a standard Battery charger. They tend not filter out the AC to well.

Other than a more expensive filtered power supply, a fully charged 12 volt battery with NO charger on it is the best way to get the cleanest power source (only DC, with no stray AC sine) your radio will sound just like it does in the car.

JMO
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 31 2016, 05:11 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Dec 31 2016, 02:49 PM) *

Don't think you will get a "clean" sound by powering with a standard Battery charger. They tend not filter out the AC to well.

Other than a more expensive filtered power supply, a fully charged 12 volt battery with NO charger on it is the best way to get the cleanest power source (only DC, with no stray AC sine) your radio will sound just like it does in the car.

JMO

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
The radio shack and ham radio 12v power supplies are regulated and highly filtered to remove AC hum from the radio.
+Quote Post
jfort
post Dec 31 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I found a 110>12VDC power supply on line a couple of years ago. Comes in handy.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Dec 31 2016, 08:58 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Use the battery out of your car
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 31 2016, 10:27 PM
Post #9

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 31 2016, 06:11 PM) *

JMO

The radio shack and ham radio 12v power supplies are regulated and highly filtered to remove AC hum from the radio.

Well excuse me.....who gives a flying fuch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

The OP said he want's to test the system in his car...you know that thing that makes all kinds of loud aircooled type noises when it is actually running.

He didn't say anything about wanting audiophile quality sound out of the thing.
AND if he does want audiophile quality sound what da fuch is he doing fuching with a car stereo for?

BTW a buddy of mine has powered the same old pioneer deck off of his battery charger for the last 30 years in his little one car garage.
Works just fine, no hum, at least not enough to worry about in a garage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Dec 31 2016, 10:43 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Computer power supply has 12v rail. I use one from our crane games. I will post picture tomorrow. I can test 12v,24v and 48 volt with the set up.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 31 2016, 10:58 PM
Post #11

that's what I do!

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 31 2016, 11:43 PM) *

Computer power supply has 12v rail. I use one from our crane games. I will post picture tomorrow. I can test 12v,24v and 48 volt with the set up.

Yes, you can use that as well, the LED strip lights I use in my blasting cabinet I run on an old power supply.
I hit all my friends for their old PC's, just to rob the power supplies out of them. Same with wall warts. BTW they also give you 3 and 5V
I like free (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 31 2016, 11:06 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 31 2016, 08:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 31 2016, 06:11 PM) *

JMO

Well excuse me.....who gives a flying fuch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

The OP said he want's to test the system in his car...you know that thing that makes all kinds of loud aircooled type noises when it is actually running.

He didn't say anything about wanting audiophile quality sound out of the thing.
AND if he does want audiophile quality sound what da fuch is he doing fuching with a car stereo for?

BTW a buddy of mine has powered the same old pioneer deck off of his battery charger for the last 30 years in his little one car garage.
Works just fine, no hum, at least not enough to worry about in a garage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Too funny!!! You Canadians are awefully sensitive up there.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Dec 31 2016, 11:32 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 20,535

Ditto on the online power supply. Mine is a Pyramid PS8KX. Only 6 amp 12v output but was less than $40. Thats 72 watts of high end 12v power!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jan 1 2017, 03:14 AM
Post #14

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

2- 6v lantern batteries.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Jan 1 2017, 08:57 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 19,670

No need to get stirred up......OP asks "Trying to find a 110 volt power supply to power a 12 volt car radio for installation and sound testing."

The buzzing from a standard 12 volt battery charger will not give a true representation of what the radio will sound like when it is ultimately mounted in the car.

I would definitely not recommend powering a vintage Blaupunkt radio with this battery charger set up. But people will do what they do.

Cheap is OK sometimes, but very often you get what you pay for.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jan 1 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

I use a standard battery charger for things like that, but what do I know, I'm just an electrical engineer.....
If worried about overvoltage or noise, put a battery on it at the same time.

I Also use PC power supplies, but when using them out of the PC case, you will need to short (temporarily) the blue wire to the chassis to get it to turn on.

I found some aviation quality adjustable DC power supplies at a salvage yard & bought two for $40. (they are worth about $1200 ea.)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 1 2017, 01:19 PM
Post #17

that's what I do!

QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 1 2017, 02:03 PM) *

I use a standard battery charger for things like that, but what do I know, I'm just an electrical engineer.....
If worried about overvoltage or noise, put a battery on it at the same time.

Thanks Stu
Been working on aircooled cars since I was a teen, to troubleshoot all electrical you can power everything by using a battery charger.
You do need to pull the power wire off the coil or you will fry the points and some aftermarket pickups like the pertronix.

I Also use PC power supplies, but when using them out of the PC case, you will need to short (temporarily) the blue wire to the chassis to get it to turn on.

Or just twist it onto a ground wire (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

BTW I wasn't being pissy, just I see no reason to tell someone to go spend money when they likely have something that does the job right in front of them.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Jan 1 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,923

I use my cheap Harbor Freight portable power pack for 12V radio or amplifier bench testing.
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Jan 1 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 11,134

Thanks for the feedback. My stereo install isn't an audiophile setup but more than the standard 2 speaker in the stock location setup. I'm testing secondary speaker and hidden satellite antenna locations for a second car.

I was also hoping to find a power supply to mimic a fully charged battery to power my chassis harness for testing of all components while installing it (turn signals, headlight motors, fans, etc.). I found many 110VAC to 12VDC power supplies on-line but wasn't sure they would suit my needs as I didn't want to blow up my chassis harness during testing. I'm a network and software engineer, not an electrical engineer so I'm out of my element with power.

Here is the unit I found: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282264455526?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Greg
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jan 1 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 1 2017, 01:15 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback. My stereo install isn't an audiophile setup but more than the standard 2 speaker in the stock location setup. I'm testing secondary speaker and hidden satellite antenna locations for a second car.

I was also hoping to find a power supply to mimic a fully charged battery to power my chassis harness for testing of all components while installing it (turn signals, headlight motors, fans, etc.). I found many 110VAC to 12VDC power supplies on-line but wasn't sure they would suit my needs as I didn't want to blow up my chassis harness during testing. I'm a network and software engineer, not an electrical engineer so I'm out of my element with power.

Here is the unit I found: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282264455526?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Greg

That one looks good. I had to check because some LED drivers are constant current.
This one appears to be constant voltage (current varies to whatever up to 10A), so it should work perfectly.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 06:29 AM