Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need to Power Car Radio on the Bench Top, 110v to 12v converter
gcrotvik
post Jan 1 2017, 02:43 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,134
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 1 2017, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 1 2017, 01:15 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback. My stereo install isn't an audiophile setup but more than the standard 2 speaker in the stock location setup. I'm testing secondary speaker and hidden satellite antenna locations for a second car.

I was also hoping to find a power supply to mimic a fully charged battery to power my chassis harness for testing of all components while installing it (turn signals, headlight motors, fans, etc.). I found many 110VAC to 12VDC power supplies on-line but wasn't sure they would suit my needs as I didn't want to blow up my chassis harness during testing. I'm a network and software engineer, not an electrical engineer so I'm out of my element with power.

Here is the unit I found: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282264455526?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Greg

That one looks good. I had to check because some LED drivers are constant current.
This one appears to be constant voltage (current varies to whatever up to 10A), so it should work perfectly.

Thank you!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 1 2017, 03:27 PM
Post #22

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

The fan is more than 10a just by itself.

If jumper cables from the car with a battery won't work, spurge for a jump box. I went with the 1000a minus the crap air compressor for work, but this one is currently on saleStanley 'FatMax' 700-Amp Peak Jump Starter. It's my battery substitute for all the project cars.

A battery charger, specially the newer ones, are expecting a battery, not the variable demands of an operating car.

Older charges will also introduce a hum to the speakers, specially with an amp.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jan 1 2017, 07:08 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 1 2017, 02:27 PM) *

The fan is more than 10a just by itself.

If jumper cables from the car with a battery won't work, spurge for a jump box. I went with the 1000a minus the crap air compressor for work, but this one is currently on saleStanley 'FatMax' 700-Amp Peak Jump Starter. It's my battery substitute for all the project cars.

A battery charger, specially the newer ones, are expecting a battery, not the variable demands of an operating car.

Older charges will also introduce a hum to the speakers, specially with an amp.

Yeah, sorry I was talking about just the radio or any component by itself.
It likely wont run the whole car (at once) for testing.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jan 1 2017, 09:56 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Jameco Power Supply

These guys have a lot of options. This one would work nicely and is pretty cheap
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Jan 2 2017, 06:40 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 805

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 1 2017, 08:56 PM) *

Jameco Power Supply

These guys have a lot of options. This one would work nicely and is pretty cheap

That's a nice, inexpensive 12V option with good output. FWIW, I find having a 12V supply that can put out at least 5A invaluable for testing most anything electrical from a car. A supply like this one is nice because it beats lugging a battery around, provides clean 12V with minimal ripple, and can be easily put in a drawer when not in use.

FYI, if someone out there buys this supply, it probably doesn't come with a power cord, get one or cut up an extension cord to use with it.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jan 2 2017, 07:29 AM
Post #26

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(pbanders @ Jan 2 2017, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 1 2017, 08:56 PM) *

Jameco Power Supply

That's a nice, inexpensive 12V option with good output. FWIW, I find having a 12V supply that can put out at least 5A invaluable for testing most anything electrical from a car. A supply like this one is nice because it beats lugging a battery around, provides clean 12V with minimal ripple, and can be easily put in a drawer when not in use.

FYI, if someone out there buys this supply, it probably doesn't come with a power cord, get one or cut up an extension cord to use with it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I use those cheap Mean Well switching power supplies all of the time. They work great, especially for the price if you don't need instrumentation grade power. The dual or triple output units are really convenient too. As Brad said you will need a power cord. All you get is the power supply.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jan 2 2017, 08:04 AM
Post #27

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Why not just use a fully charged battery?
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Jan 2 2017, 01:24 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 11,134
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 2 2017, 06:04 AM) *

I could but my radio testing for speaker placement could take several hours. I was looking for something I could get clean power from for a long period of time and not worry about having to recharge a battery once I'm done. Plus, having a bench top power supply allows be to easily test electrical components pre assembly.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 2 2017, 02:08 PM
Post #29

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 2 2017, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 2 2017, 06:04 AM) *

I could but my radio testing for speaker placement could take several hours. I was looking for something I could get clean power from for a long period of time and not worry about having to recharge a battery once I'm done. Plus, having a bench top power supply allows be to easily test electrical components pre assembly.

A battery and charger would still work, but you will likely find a use for the that cheap PS.

The computer power supply is a good easy alternative and it's real easy to modify.
Many youtube videos, some are how to make a real nice PS, but you can just marette things together in minutes if you just want 12V.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 05:38 PM