Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Original clear coat paint failure
Cal
post Jan 3 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

My metallic silver '74 2.0 was repainted back in the mid 80's because of supposed clear coat failure. Was this common back in the day.....if so, why.....what caused the paint to fail?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Valy
post Jan 3 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

The sun burns the clear coat
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 3 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Happened a lot to silver/ metallic cars. My dad had a V-12 Jag in silver. Paint went bad pretty quickly. Early 80's.

Lots of manufactures had paint issues and still do. They try to put it on as thin as possible to use as little as possible.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 3 2017, 08:47 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

914s would have been lacquer not a base clear or at least that would have been the correct era for those types of paint..I have never seen a Porsche pre early 80s that had clear.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jan 3 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,695

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 3 2017, 09:47 PM) *

914s would have been lacquer not a base clear or at least that would have been the correct era for those types of paint..I have never seen a Porsche pre early 80s that had clear.

Pretty sure the metallics were clear coat back to the early 70's.....almost positive on that. I think Cal is correct that he would have had a clear on that beauty.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 3 2017, 09:03 PM
Post #6

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Seems to happen to many of them. My silver Honda AND my silver 914 both suffer from this.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 3 2017, 09:04 PM
Post #7

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

go single stage next time
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jan 3 2017, 09:38 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,376

My '74 silver has never had any clear coat failure. Actually, I thought it was single stage.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jan 3 2017, 09:49 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jan 3 2017, 10:38 PM) *

My '74 silver has never had any clear coat failure. Actually, I thought it was single stage.

Cuda is that the original paint?
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jan 3 2017, 09:54 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jan 3 2017, 10:38 PM) *

Duplicate post
+Quote Post
Cal
post Jan 3 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 18,138

I believe all Porsche metallics were two-coat paint.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jan 3 2017, 10:16 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 17,376

Yep, it's the original paint, other than the front, from an accident in the 1980s.
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Jan 4 2017, 04:23 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,585

We bought our silver 1971 914 in 1973. It was stunning. One year later, the clear started to fail on all of the horizontal surfaces. I stripped and repainted it in 1977 with base coat and clear as original. Mercedes from the same era suffered from the same clear coat failure.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Jan 4 2017, 12:24 PM
Post #14

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

My 73 was repainted in 2002 by the second owner because the clear came off, the car was fine. I also found treads in the forum that stated that 914's came without clear, but since I have a custompaint coded 914 it is possible that my clear was part of the custom package.....maybe I am not the best example.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jan 4 2017, 01:13 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Not sure on the 914s, but the early 70's metallic painted 911s had lots of issues with the clear coat.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jan 4 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

I had a 91 ford explorer.... two tone, gold and light brown. It lost it's clear. I remember other late 80's and early 90's cars did the same. Someone told me it was another "Unintended consequences of Govm't meddling" issue.

under short notice, the EPA made folks change formulation of the paint or the clear I suppose and it took a few years to get it right.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jan 4 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Saw this on another forum .....
==========================

Tom, I worked for PPG (Resins and Coatings Division, Automotive OEM and Refinish) for 16 years, starting out as a chemist and ending up in sales. That said, I'll tell you a few of the causes for the problems you showed us.

Number one: Extreme temperature variations cause delamination between the clearcoat and the basecoat color. This will also rarely happen between the basecoat color and the substrate primer. Basically the clearcoat will expand and contract at a different rate than the basecoat color in extreme heat or cold. It actually happens more often on areas of the car where snow, ice, or frost accumulate. It can also be accelerated in areas that are subsequently heated quickly, such as a hood over the engine.

Number two: Acid Rain, as previously mentioned penetrates the clearcoat surface and breaks down the chemical bond between the clearcoat and the basecoat color. Again, this will cause a delamination between the layers since once the chemical bond is destroyed, only the weaker mechanical bond remains. Like the above reason, usually occurs predominately on top surfaces for obvious reasons.

Number three: More likely on repaints...recoat sensitivity, or not enough dry time either between the basecoat color coats and the clearcoat or not enough flash time between coats of clear. Again, unlikely on OEM and will usually show up much sooner in the form of "solvent popping".

Number four: Poor compatibility between the clearcoat and the basecoat color. I would think Dodge would know better than to do this but I've seen it on OEM before. You can't just put any clear over any substrate. In the old days when I first started, guys used to try to put acrylics over laquer (
image: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/image...ilies/yikes.gif
). The acrylics were usually much "hotter" and would dissolve the laquer under them. It can be done but usually with an intermediary barrier coat.

Number five: Insufficient clearcoat applied (or even some has been removed by color sanding or buffing) causing the clearcoat to provide a poor UV and chemical barrier. In the late 80s and early 90s the Big 3 were big offenders of this one. They were only allowed to spray a certain quantity of VOCs so rather than paint less cars, they just used less clearcoat on the same number of cars. We all remember the cars and especially trucks running around with paint peeling off back then. Well, there wasn't enough clearcoat or even colorcoat UV and chemical barrier protection to keep the primers from degrading so both the chemical and mechanical bonds were destroyed under the topcoats. It's like leaving something primered and never painting it. After a while the primer looks like chalk. This is another unlikely scenario based on the pictures you posted.

Number six: Poor waterbourne technology. Again, based on the VOC regulations of the time, auto manufacturers used a significant amount of waterbourne materials. Unfortunately, the technology was not very advanced at the time and the protection provided by these materials was substandard at best. Just about anything would penetrate these clearcoats, including water if left to absorb long enough (e.g. snow pack on the roof or hood). This scenario is also likely, based on the period your car was built.

There are a few other possible causes as well, but I could go on forever and a couple of these are most likely.

The bottom line is, the only fix is to sand it down (no chemical stripping) or media blast it off and repaint.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Read more at http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forumsshowth...zIOV4BZw4ij3.99
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:19 AM