Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paint estimate
socal1200r
post Jan 13 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,432
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So I had a little free time this afternoon, and on a whim, took the car to three different paint shops to get an estimate on getting the exterior repainted. Man was I NOT prepared for the estimates! Can you believe between $5K to $6K for a fricking paint job?! WTF, over?! This isn't Gas Monkey Garage, Counting Cars, Unique Whips, or Bitchin' Rides for chrissakes! I'm thinking more like Wheeler Dealer! Maybe I should've told them this is not for a PCA Concourse event, or to take out the liquid gold in the paint mix. There's NO WAY I'm paying that much for a fricking paint job.

I was straddling the fence as to whether to keep this car or not, guess I know which way I'm going now...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jan 13 2017, 06:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

This is well within the prices I've heard of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

There is always Maaco if your looking for something cheap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jan 13 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

QUOTE(socal1200r @ Jan 13 2017, 03:48 PM) *

Can you believe between $5K to $6K for a fricking paint job?! WTF, over?! This isn't Gas Monkey Garage, Counting Cars, Unique Whips, or Bitchin' Rides for chrissakes! I'm thinking more like Wheeler Dealer! There's NO WAY I'm paying that much for a fricking paint job.

I was straddling the fence as to whether to keep this car or not, guess I know which way I'm going now...

You right those shops would have charged you 20 grand........... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jan 13 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #4

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

So I had a little free time this afternoon, and on a whim, took the car to three different paint shops to get an estimate on getting the exterior repainted. Man was I NOT prepared for the estimates! Can you believe between $5K to $6K for a fricking paint job?! WTF, over?! This isn't Gas Monkey Garage, Counting Cars, Unique Whips, or Bitchin' Rides for chrissakes! I'm thinking more like Wheeler Dealer! Maybe I should've told them this is not for a PCA Concourse event, or to take out the liquid gold in the paint mix. There's NO WAY I'm paying that much for a fricking paint job.

Dude it's 2017!! Your not get a decent paint job for under 5k period.That's actually great price.
+Quote Post
Cal
post Jan 13 2017, 06:37 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

It all depends on what your looking for....a $5-$6K is for a decent driver quality job. The paint materials alone are expensive. An excellent /show quality paint job can cost $8-$10K.....a concours job can run a lot higher.
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Jan 13 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I paid 6K for my paint job on my 914-6, I took it completely apart and reassembled on my own. Did not paint the door jams or trunks had an old timer (45 years of painting) do it on the side for me with his son. If a shop did it at same quality would have been double. You get what you pay for.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 13 2017, 06:46 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 13 2017, 07:03 PM) *

This is well within the prices I've heard of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

There is always Maaco if your looking for something cheap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) even Maaco will be $2k if you include door jambs and some extras.
Paint cost money, labor cost money, staying in business cost money then add in some for profit.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 13 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Best color ever on a 914 Mike! Fantastic!

T

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 13 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #9

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Body shops are like any other industry dominated by insurance work. The Ins Cos want discounts, but because they are the majority of the work have to be the "retail" price, so outsiders get the published "retail" prices which are close to double.
+Quote Post
somd914
Post #10

Member No.: 12,741

Paid $600 to repair a large scratch on a door a few years back. Priced out paint materials in the $1,000 range to do my own respray on my green car, let alone sanding materials and other prep materials. Paint is not cheap...
+Quote Post
BuddyV
Post #11

Robert

Member No.: 3,898
Region Association: Northern California

My buddy owns a successful paint shop. He shared with me what the materials cost him for a good paint job...... more than most would expect to pay for the ENTIRE paint job.

That said, he did tell me that he offers the following deal for friends...... pay his crew to prep the car well.... that's AFTER I take off all the trim, etc...(about $1600 for my car).... and then have it taken to a Maaco, etc., to get sprayed. He claims the sprayers at these places can be very good since they spray all day long.

But the paint they use will be cheap-o stuff.

So.... I guess there are ways to get a sub-$3500 paint job...... but you iwlll do a lot of the work, and be rolling the dice on the end result.

The estimates you got seem very, very fair to me.

Good luck.... hope you keep the car.
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Jan 13 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 19,325
Region Association: None

$7K for the paint job, that included epoxy primer, block sanding the car, painting it, then blocking it and buffing it. I thought it ended up being a great deal.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 13 2017, 11:46 PM
Post #13

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

5-6 is on the low to low average in a shop.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Jan 14 2017, 02:09 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,549

I think at these prices I'll paint mine myself. I have 2 914's and a '70 VW hardtop Westy to get painted.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 14 2017, 07:13 AM
Post #15

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I painted my 1st 914 myself. Removed all of the trim, bumpers, lights, glass, etc., and shot it. I did not re-paint the jambs, trunks or engine compartment. I kept the factory color. The car was easy to shoot and then I color sanded and polished it myself. Car looked beautiful when I was done. But when I was growing up I worked in a body shop and was painting cars pretty regularly. That was a long time ago - late 60's and early 70's. So it is completely doable if you have the time, patience and desire to do it yourself. But with today's paints and paint booths, (and my age) I would rather let a professional like Scotty do it.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Jan 14 2017, 08:35 AM
Post #16

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

Tape, sand paper, buffing compounds, masking, etc all cost more than you think not to mention the paints, primer, sealer, paint with the solvents and catalyst s, are expensive, add the man hours to do the job. 4 to 5 is a good deal. I wouldn't do it for that. I did most of my car, all but the final spray, and I spent more.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jan 14 2017, 08:45 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,770

Mine was 10,000. but did enclude trunks, engine bay, door jams and bottom and inner fenders. Car went to painter stripped on a dolly. Best, MarkAttached Image
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Jan 14 2017, 09:01 AM
Post #18

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340
Region Association: South East States

What about a vinyl wrap? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)
+Quote Post
87m491
post Jan 14 2017, 09:17 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

I had bodywork/paint sticker shock a few years back, not having needed that type of work for well over a decade. Given the fact that 3 local shops were that close in price should tell you something. I'd be lucky to find three quality shops within 50 miles of me to get quotes.

Honestly with a 914, I might also use it as a starting point because who knows what they will find when they strip your car down.
If they are quality shops, I'm guessing they also told you there was a fairly decent wait to get the work done.

There is a difference between collision shops, mixed shops, and purely restoration shops. Seems pretty conservative for a glass out full respray, buff out reinstall.

+Quote Post
cary
post Jan 14 2017, 09:59 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Jan 14 2017, 07:01 AM) *

What about a vinyl wrap? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

I'm going to get a quote at PDX Wraps down the street in Sherwood. I don't have time to work on my own car. But I'd like it to look as nice as it drives. So I'm hoping to fix 3 or 4 rust issues, prime the repairs and have it wrapped before WCR 2017.
That should make me happy and get me by for a few years.

I'll report back I get an estimate.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:45 AM