Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paint estimate
Cracker
post Jan 14 2017, 10:07 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

For many of us, I believe its a challenge to rationalize the cost of a "decent" paint job as compared to the cars value. Most 914's are not worth in-total what the job costs...classic conundrum of maintaining and restoring cars. You can pour tens of thousands into something that has a quarter of the costs value.

A "real-six" is more far easier to rationalize the associated build costs - its inherent value are multiples of a 1.8/4 - in any condition but especially the typical driver/beater. The cost of an excellent paint job for both will be the same - I feel for the OP - I get it. If you are not committed to the "914" then I would suggest selling as you mentioned.

All the best!

Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 14 2017, 10:12 AM
Post #22

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Another reason to do the work yourself. You will spend $1500 pretty easily in materials, and have 150 hours into it. But you have to ask how fast do you want the job done. If you can stretch it out over 6 months or so, and have the free time great. You will also know that all the parts are put back on correctly.
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jan 14 2017, 10:20 AM
Post #23

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

My guess is $2500-3k. Wrap installs are time consuming and they only last like 5 or so years depending on exposure to elements.

QUOTE(cary @ Jan 14 2017, 07:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Jan 14 2017, 07:01 AM) *

What about a vinyl wrap? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

I'm going to get a quote at PDX Wraps down the street in Sherwood. I don't have time to work on my own car. But I'd like it to look as nice as it drives. So I'm hoping to fix 3 or 4 rust issues, prime the repairs and have it wrapped before WCR 2017.
That should make me happy and get me by for a few years.

I'll report back I get an estimate.

+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jan 14 2017, 11:07 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 14 2017, 08:07 AM) *

For many of us, I believe its a challenge to rationalize the cost of a "decent" paint job as compared to the cars value.

All the best!

Tony

I have walked away from many so called deals because the seller would not factor in what it would cost me to have the car painted. I guess the flip-side is also beware of a pig with bright lipstick.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jan 14 2017, 11:16 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Jan 14 2017, 07:01 AM) *

What about a vinyl wrap? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

2 K for vinyl.....I might get in on my truck. Thinking about doing it in "stainless".
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jan 14 2017, 12:30 PM
Post #26

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Yes, painting is expensive!! My paint restoration was done in 1997 and it cost me about $7K using German Sikkens, base coat clear coat "chrome Yellow" a long time ago. I did all the diss-assembly and grunt work to get it ready for a 2-year completion. It was done in the back yard of a 1-1/2 car garage by a rather strange perfectionist OCD guy. One day I went to look at the car & he was laying in the trunk sanding up under the rear window. I asked him what he was doing & he said I just want it to be perfect. Painters are strange people (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) , I went through many moment of stress with him, but it was almost perfect. Today it would be a $20K+ job. The secrete is doing as much work as possible & leave the painting to the expert to save costs.
Tom

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 14 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Regarding painters being "strange people"...I've always said "they've been around the fumes too long!".

T

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jan 14 2017, 01:30 PM) *

Yes, painting is expensive!! My paint restoration was done in 1997 and it cost me about $7K using German Sikkens, base coat clear coat "chrome Yellow" a long time ago.
Tom
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 14 2017, 06:46 PM
Post #28

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

How about the guy that spends all that money on materials, does a marginal job, because he never has painted a car before, and as a huge negative bonus he permanently damages his health because he doesn't have the right safety equipment?
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Jan 14 2017, 06:48 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

Don't do it yourself if you don't have the proper safety equipment. That's a great point!
+Quote Post
cary
post Jan 14 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jan 14 2017, 08:20 AM) *

My guess is $2500-3k. Wrap installs are time consuming and they only last like 5 or so years depending on exposure to elements.

I'd be happy with 5+ years. It would bide me some time till I can give it a complete bare metal restoration.
+Quote Post
socal1200r
post Jan 14 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 20,432
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yeah, I'm not going to spend $5K - $6K on a frickin paint job, when I only paid $7K for the car in the first place. If I did spend that kind of money, I'd get pissed off every time I set foot in the car. So it doesn't look like it's going to get a paint job, at least with me being the current owner. I never should've bought this car...
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 14 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #32

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Lots of ways to look at it. If you have a fairly nice car with the exception of faded paint and some minor repairs needed to bring the car up to a very nice car it is likely worth doing. With the rising values 5-6k is not a serious consideration.

Yes you can try it yourself, effit up and turn your 5-6k paint job into a 7k repair when the shop has to strip off your mistake. Or set the value back when you try to sell it and the guy looking say's I need you to knock off 3k so I can afford to have the paint fixed.

Not everyone is a natural painter. It takes lots on practice and lots of expensive lessons when even the shops effsit up sometimes. The paint department is always the lowest producing profit center in the shop. I went through several painters over the 18 years I was in the collision business. Some good some average a few didn't make past the first week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Remember, this is your hobby. It's your disposable income. If you look at as an investment you may as well join a bridge club or take up knitting. Very few guys ever really make a stack on a restoration. The shop is a service not your buddy. If they don't make money they end up flippin burgers and a truck stop somewhere.

So enjoy your car. Start a Christmas saving account. By December you'll have the cash to get it done right. There is a saying we used at the shop to remind us of the importance of stopping to check it over for the last time before paint.

You always have the time to do it right the second time.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 14 2017, 10:28 PM
Post #33

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(socal1200r @ Jan 14 2017, 10:06 PM) *

Yeah, I'm not going to spend $5K - $6K on a frickin paint job, when I only paid $7K for the car in the first place. If I did spend that kind of money, I'd get pissed off every time I set foot in the car. So it doesn't look like it's going to get a paint job, at least with me being the current owner. I never should've bought this car...

Let's see it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Jan 14 2017, 10:31 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 14 2017, 07:05 PM) *

Regarding painters being "strange people"...I've always said "they've been around the fumes too long!".

T

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jan 14 2017, 01:30 PM) *

Yes, painting is expensive!! My paint restoration was done in 1997 and it cost me about $7K using German Sikkens, base coat clear coat "chrome Yellow" a long time ago.
Tom

Yea and as a DIY auto painter who has already nailed nice work in my garage, with practice and patience even you not so "Strange" guys can do an amazing job if you even tried to. Buy a decent spray gun and have at it!
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jan 14 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Yup. I paid $6.5k a couple summers ago to a shop in Long Island...and he was a buddy, cutting me a deal. And while it was a very good job, it wasn't a "concourse" job. Between materials, time, paying the guys to block the car, not to mention expenses to meet EPA regulations (among others)...I'm grateful to have gotten that deal.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1201.photobucket.com-15565-1484455191.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1201.photobucket.com-15565-1484455191.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1201.photobucket.com-15565-1484455191.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1201.photobucket.com-15565-1484455191.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1201.photobucket.com-15565-1484455192.5.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1201.photobucket.com-15565-1484455192.6.jpg)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 14 2017, 11:07 PM
Post #36

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

$5-6k is cheap. Sounds like you have sticker shock. Shop rates are usually over $100 per hour and prep is very time consuming. Doing a quality job your self is not easy. But is is easy to fuch it up. I just had my Charger painted. I sanded it myself. It took 6 weekends to get it ready for paint. Luckily I did not need any body work. I had it professionally painted because I did not want dust in the paint and I wanted an expert to shoot it.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jan 15 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Painting is a ton of work to get right, but actually isn't all that hard, you just need to learn each step. It really helps to have someone to walk you through the basics, i.e., refurbishing, preparation and gun control/coating, then go for it.

The easiest way to learn is to practice all 3 or 4 steps with other metal material that you have.

If you're using single stage paint you can always color sand out any runs, with two stage it actually easier as you put the first stage on, then correct any errors, then finish up with the top coat.

I like two stage as you don't need much material for the color coat. If you screw something up, then just sand it out and recoat.

Practice and your will find a way.

I'm going to paint the DSR when it's ready. Going to follow the pattern in the second photo below, but use BRG as the base coat and silver for the front.

Here's an example of final product that I didn't even need to color sand once I learned how to float final coats.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 15 2017, 06:38 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

To my original point...teeners are not for everyone - they are for special people.

Tony

QUOTE(socal1200r @ Jan 14 2017, 11:06 PM) *

Yeah, I'm not going to spend $5K - $6K on a frickin paint job, when I only paid $7K for the car in the first place. I never should've bought this car...

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 15 2017, 06:41 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Lucky (you are!) I am not closer to you...I would have my DSR "Ranalized"! I do not have nearly enough patience to prep and paint myself - I know my limits and weaknesses. My hats off to all of you who do it yourselves.

A good old friend of mine painted his car himself - it probably rated out about 6 out of 10 - he knew that but loved the fact he did it on his own. That is worth allot in and of itself.

Tony

QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 15 2017, 01:07 AM) *

I'm going to paint the DSR when it's ready. Going to follow the pattern in the second photo below, but use BRG as the base coat and silver for the front

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jan 15 2017, 07:08 AM
Post #40

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Ok, my paint is not perfect (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Here is a magnified photo of a bug that crawled into my new paint job during the last clear coat. Shit happens. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I know it's there, but no one can find it but me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Tom

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:31 PM