Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Wheel Bearing Difference, Comparison that may have caused my failures
6freak
post Jan 18 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #21

MR.C

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 18 2017, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 18 2017, 07:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jan 15 2017, 05:26 PM) *

I wonder what the age cut off for these are. I've got a stash of several sets.

bearings do have a shelf life beleave it or not and your supposed to turn them over every year... because the earth has a constant vibration (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) and the ball train has a harmonic point (vibration) at a set speed which cause`s premature failure ,change the amount of balls and the harmonics change and mass dampens vibration....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

At that point....your swing arm droops.

I think you.ve lost your bearing.

look it up then get back to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jan 18 2017, 08:18 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 18 2017, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 18 2017, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 18 2017, 07:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jan 15 2017, 05:26 PM) *

I wonder what the age cut off for these are. I've got a stash of several sets.

bearings do have a shelf life beleave it or not and your supposed to turn them over every year... because the earth has a constant vibration (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) and the ball train has a harmonic point (vibration) at a set speed which cause`s premature failure ,change the amount of balls and the harmonics change and mass dampens vibration....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

At that point....your swing arm droops.

I think you.ve lost your bearing.

look it up then get back to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Nothing to look up.

Attempted double entendre.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 18 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Bearings have a shelf life due to the grease aging out. That's an easy fix. Replace the grease. You have to grease the front wheel bearings anyway and the boxter spec racers are replacing the grease on the rear bearings with new and more before installation. There's a video or two on how to repack a rear hub bearing.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jan 19 2017, 08:18 AM
Post #24

MR.C

storage

The conditions under which bearings and seals are stored can have an adverse effect on their performance. Inventory control can also play an important role in performance, particularly if seals are involved. Therefore, SKF recommends a "first in, first out" inventory policy. .

Storage conditions
To maximize the service life of bearings, SKF recommends the following basic housekeeping practices: Store bearings flat, in a vibration-free, dry area with a cool, steady temperature.
Control and limit the relative humidity of the storage area as follows: 75% at 20 °C (68 °F)
60% at 22 °C (72 °F)
50% at 25 °C (77 °F)

Keep bearings in their original unopened packages until immediately prior to mounting to prevent the ingress of contaminants and corrosion.
Bearings that are not stored in their original packaging should be well protected against corrosion and contaminants.

Shelf life of open bearings
SKF bearings are coated with a rust-inhibiting compound and suitably packaged before distribution. For open bearings, the preservative provides protection against corrosion for approximately three years, provided the storage conditions are appropriate. .

Shelf life of sealed bearings
The maximum storage interval for sealed SKF bearings is dictated by the lubricant inside the bearings. Lubricant deteriorates over time as a result of ageing, condensation, and separation of the oil and thickener. Therefore, sealed bearings should not be stored for more than three years. .

Find a distributor

Contact us
Contact us

for more information

Engineering tools

Bearings, units and housings

SKF Bearing Calculator
SKF Bearing Select
SKF Engineering Calculator
SKF Housing Select
Bearing CAD download

Seals

Lubrication solutions

Linear motion

Actuation systems

Maintenance Products

Condition monitoring

Power Transmission Products

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 19 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #25

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What's funny is once the bearing is in our car, we might let it go for 20+ years. Heat, cold, humidity, whatever.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jan 19 2017, 12:11 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 19 2017, 09:58 AM) *

What's funny is once the bearing is in our car, we might let it go for 20+ years. Heat, cold, humidity, whatever.

What was posted has more to do with legal and liability than engineering.

Most distributors at our level don.t have means to track FIFO and when they go back to try and warranty a lot they have such a small claim it.s not worth it.

While it.s worth noting about care of bearings in storage, once they are in the car the grease is being distributed and iron oxide (rust) which will permantly f up the bearing is less likely to form if you drive your car regularly. One more reason to get out and drive your car.

If it fails in the car after a few years....they can always claim abuse or road damage. I think the OP makes a good point about the differences in the two manuf. of the bearings. When I replaced them in my car.....now a few years back I used FAG.s
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jan 19 2017, 03:29 PM
Post #27

MR.C

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 19 2017, 09:58 AM) *

because its not sitting static and the lube moves around.. remember earth vibrates at a constant? and the bearing dont roll on the shelf but they do vibrate.. and yes theres alot to do with what type of grease in the bearings, but bearings with no lube have a short shelf life! because no grease film between the balls and races...the stuff gets deep hahahah the microscopic film of grease is what the bearings ride on not the race
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 19 2017, 08:29 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

See tygaboys post. His picture of the bearing all over the place is what I am complaining about. Mine was not that loose but even when tightened up to spec both sides wiggled more than they should have.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:09 AM