Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Window Defroster Wiring Harness Routing Needed
AZAircooled
post Jan 17 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,355
Region Association: Southwest Region

My rear window was rattling so I decided to add the Rear Window Defroster option since I needed to remove the glass to replace the seal. I bought the switch, wiring harness, and window in excellent shape from a guy who removed them from his car. He even gave me a hand drawn schematic diagram.

I did continuity tests on three parts and they are good. I found all of the connection points and laid out the harness. It looks like it starts at the switch, goes under the dash to the fuse panel, runs back along the left side of the interior floor, then along the bottom of the firewall. I haven't taken the back pad off, but it is unclear where it should route from the passenger compartment through the firewall and to the relay board.

My car is a 1975 1.8 model if that matters.

I need the factory routing of the wiring harness.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Jan 18 2017, 08:21 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,325
Region Association: None

QUOTE(AZAircooled @ Jan 17 2017, 01:33 PM) *

My rear window was rattling so I decided to add the Rear Window Defroster option since I needed to remove the glass to replace the seal. I bought the switch, wiring harness, and window in excellent shape from a guy who removed them from his car. He even gave me a hand drawn schematic diagram.

I did continuity tests on three parts and they are good. I found all of the connection points and laid out the harness. It looks like it starts at the switch, goes under the dash to the fuse panel, runs back along the left side of the interior floor, then along the bottom of the firewall. I haven't taken the back pad off, but it is unclear where it should route from the passenger compartment through the firewall and to the relay board.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bob

+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Jan 18 2017, 08:23 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,325
Region Association: None

[quote name='Mowog4' date='Jan 18 2017, 07:21 AM' post='2445128']
[quote name='AZAircooled' post='2444864' date='Jan 17 2017, 01:33 PM']

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bob
[/quote]
Bob
Did you figure this out? I have a similar question and will be wiring it this weekend.
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Jan 18 2017, 10:25 AM
Post #4

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(AZAircooled @ Jan 17 2017, 03:33 PM) *

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bob

The harness follows the main wiring harness route from the dash switch down the firewall through the tunnel. The window wires come up out of the tunnel behind the back pad both left and right to the window. The relay panel plug has to go though the rubber gooseneck and up to the relay panel. The trick is to remove the plastic connector ( good luck getting it apart without breaking it) and reinstalling it before you plug it in. the lead from the switch to the front fuse panel goes to a switched fuse as I remember. This power source is only for the switch light, the actual defroster is powered from the relay panel.

+Quote Post
AZAircooled
post Jan 19 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,355
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thanks John.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:18 AM