Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Soon 2B F/S, In &r Out Buggers?
forrestkhaag
post Jan 18 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am on the cusp of selling my fully operational 2.2L 4 engine as my 6 is nearing completion as of last night's work into the wee hours...

I am wondering what it might be worth in the market place. I will be selling it with the 2.0 headers and a new SS banana muffler & bracket, etc., clutch, flywheel, t/oB, etc.

This engine burns no appreciable oil and it has well tuned Weber knockoff Empi 40 dual carbs on it which are jetted for a range of altitudes between zero and 7K feet.

The other advantage after experiencing the 1.7 that this engine replaced, as I see it is, it is a hydraulic lifter engine which virtually eliminates the constant valve tuning required of a hard lifter engine build. This is, of course, personal preference and in my case, I bought the engine built that way so that I could drive it almost daily, verses work on it almost daily......

As many of you know, it has participated in many out of state drives and in-state shows and coastal romps with unfettered performance between my home at sea level to the mountains at 6-7K altitude.

I am thinking it may be beneficial to leave the engine in the car until it is sold so that if needed, a potential buyer could come by for a ride in all RPM ranges and under different loads / just to see how nice this little monster really is. Or conversely, take some good films of it running if that will suffice.

What is the going rate for such a thing? I am in a position to ship this engine on a pallet with the exhaust removed for obvious scale-of-shipment issues.

Any positive thoughts are welcome.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gulf91474
post Jan 18 2017, 12:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,591
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jan 18 2017, 11:10 AM) *

I am on the cusp of selling my fully operational 2.2L 4 engine as my 6 is nearing completion as of last night's work into the wee hours...

I am wondering what it might be worth in the market place. I will be selling it with the 2.0 headers and a new SS banana muffler & bracket, etc., clutch, flywheel, t/oB, etc.

This engine burns no appreciable oil and it has well tuned Weber knockoff Empi 40 dual carbs on it which are jetted for a range of altitudes between zero and 7K feet.

The other advantage after experiencing the 1.7 that this engine replaced, as I see it is, it is a hydraulic lifter engine which virtually eliminates the constant valve tuning required of a hard lifter engine build. This is, of course, personal preference and in my case, I bought the engine built that way so that I could drive it almost daily, verses work on it almost daily......

As many of you know, it has participated in many out of state drives and in-state shows and coastal romps with unfettered performance between my home at sea level to the mountains at 6-7K altitude.

I am thinking it may be beneficial to leave the engine in the car until it is sold so that if needed, a potential buyer could come by for a ride in all RPM ranges and under different loads / just to see how nice this little monster really is. Or conversely, take some good films of it running if that will suffice.

What is the going rate for such a thing? I am in a position to ship this engine on a pallet with the exhaust removed for obvious scale-of-shipment issues.

Any positive thoughts are welcome.

I just sold my 2056 big valve with the clutch and pp. My engine only had a little over 2000 miles on it. i got $4500. I've got Stainless that I would sell for $500. So i say somewhere around $5000.

hope it helps....GLWS
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 18 2017, 01:16 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

There is a REALLY nice and fresh professional motor from UTAH that recently was listed at 5K too

so mileage, leakdown will probably drive the price
documentation and builder receipts help also
5K is a good guess depending on the above documentation
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Jan 19 2017, 10:58 AM
Post #4

Thanks Fellas: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Interesting how many folks have 914's w/o a motor or without a running motor....

I can document leak down numbers as a friend in town has a tester and I did it recently on my 6 build /

I have the original build sheet from TVX Performance in Texas. I can relay that document to a potential buyer.

The specs from that build sheet remain unchanged as to the build.

I received the motor on a pallet from TVX here in California and in the deal, I transferred my (running) 1.7L back to texas on the same pallet and with the same carrier. The one hiccup in our transfer agreement was that TVX called in an order to pick up my motor in Laguna Beach but failed to note to the shipper that TVX was to pay for the return shipping of my motor back to TVX... That faux pas turned ugly but the final outcome was that TVX paid for the return shipping per our agreement.

I haven't talked to "Ken" at TVX since that time. The motor work was good - the relationship up to delivery of the 2.2L was good - then not so good with the return shipping debacle.

I would estimate that the engine has around 4 or 5K on it. My typical almost daily use is a 12 mile trip to my shop and back home. I have taken the 2.2 to several group meets without issue - I drove to San Simeon and Carmel virtually nonstop along side of another 914 or two as well as attended the Flagstaff (the 914 blizzard trip) with 20 or so other 914's - attending the Grand Canyon drive on that trip without issue. I have driven the 2.2 to Scottsdale in the summer several times to our home there without any vapor lock issues. From the coast to AZ is a one-stop event on the freeways. I drive this car (and engine) and it doesn't sit for long between drives.

I replaced my 120 speedo w/ a 150 version some time back and did not retain the mileage reading on the old speedo to translate to precise mileage.

So to summarize, the engine will include all clutch and flywheel components with lots of life left on them. The bundle will include 2.0 headers and mounting bracket for the muffler-to-headers bolt up. (I am using my 901 tranny in my 6 build)I will include a virtually brand new SS Dansk muffler that is on the motor now. The engine package will include intake and carbs - tuned for my runs from the coast where I live to high 4K in elevation for touring runs. The engine has a Bosch ignition system and is included and fully operational. I removed the tin and had it powdercoated satin black when I first recieved the engine from TVX / That finish remain in place.

The paint that TVX used on the case is not holding up cosmetically and could be resprayed if someone cares. I do not.

Once I remove the engine in the swap process, I will drain the oil (for shipment) and replace the oil filter with new / new belt on the alternator and new pushrod tube gaskets as two are leaking a drip or two over a day or so. I will include new exhaust gaskets for the reinstallation of the system by the buyer after the engine is in their car. This engine has no pulled studs and in my use, has no exhaust leaks.

From what I am hearing, I would like to set a range of 5-6k include all of the stuff listed above / if 6, shipping could be included maybe sorta kinda depending on location in the contus.

+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Jan 23 2017, 10:20 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jan 19 2017, 08:58 AM) *

Thanks Fellas: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Interesting how many folks have 914's w/o a motor or without a running motor....

I can document leak down numbers as a friend in town has a tester and I did it recently on my 6 build /

I have the original build sheet from TVX Performance in Texas. I can relay that document to a potential buyer.

The specs from that build sheet remain unchanged as to the build.

I received the motor on a pallet from TVX here in California and in the deal, I transferred my (running) 1.7L back to texas on the same pallet and with the same carrier. The one hiccup in our transfer agreement was that TVX called in an order to pick up my motor in Laguna Beach but failed to note to the shipper that TVX was to pay for the return shipping of my motor back to TVX... That faux pas turned ugly but the final outcome was that TVX paid for the return shipping per our agreement.

I haven't talked to "Ken" at TVX since that time. The motor work was good - the relationship up to delivery of the 2.2L was good - then not so good with the return shipping debacle.

I would estimate that the engine has around 4 or 5K on it. My typical almost daily use is a 12 mile trip to my shop and back home. I have taken the 2.2 to several group meets without issue - I drove to San Simeon and Carmel virtually nonstop along side of another 914 or two as well as attended the Flagstaff (the 914 blizzard trip) with 20 or so other 914's - attending the Grand Canyon drive on that trip without issue. I have driven the 2.2 to Scottsdale in the summer several times to our home there without any vapor lock issues. From the coast to AZ is a one-stop event on the freeways. I drive this car (and engine) and it doesn't sit for long between drives.

I replaced my 120 speedo w/ a 150 version some time back and did not retain the mileage reading on the old speedo to translate to precise mileage.

So to summarize, the engine will include all clutch and flywheel components with lots of life left on them. The bundle will include 2.0 headers and mounting bracket for the muffler-to-headers bolt up. (I am using my 901 tranny in my 6 build)I will include a virtually brand new SS Dansk muffler that is on the motor now. The engine package will include intake and carbs - tuned for my runs from the coast where I live to high 4K in elevation for touring runs. The engine has a Bosch ignition system and is included and fully operational. I removed the tin and had it powdercoated satin black when I first recieved the engine from TVX / That finish remain in place.

The paint that TVX used on the case is not holding up cosmetically and could be resprayed if someone cares. I do not.

Once I remove the engine in the swap process, I will drain the oil (for shipment) and replace the oil filter with new / new belt on the alternator and new pushrod tube gaskets as two are leaking a drip or two over a day or so. I will include new exhaust gaskets for the reinstallation of the system by the buyer after the engine is in their car. This engine has no pulled studs and in my use, has no exhaust leaks.

From what I am hearing, I would like to set a range of 5-6k include all of the stuff listed above / if 6, shipping could be included maybe sorta kinda depending on location in the contus.

The above description is correct except that I am now deleting the Dansk muffler from the deal and dropping the ask by the retail value that I paid for the muffler so 5.5K less 600.00 / = $4,900.00 + shipping. Seems reasonable.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Jan 25 2017, 04:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,526
Region Association: Southern California

I rode in this car last week. Can and will Vouch forrest has a solid motor. and is a decent guy.
car ran very nicely.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Feb 3 2017, 10:30 AM
Post #7

Thanks for the assessment Colin: To arrive at such a fine compliment, I think you might have been drinking on the job..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I doing a leak down today and with that information, formally put together an offering package / I just picked up my 6 and need the 2.2 out of the way for engine bay work.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tomrev
post Feb 3 2017, 11:38 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,037
Region Association: None

I am not in the market for an engine, but this price is very reasonable! Any one who has gone thru and done a proper rebuild would wish they could have pulled it off for this much. Good luck with the sale!
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Feb 3 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #9

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

Iam a buyer cash money pm sent

And local pick up ,

And can this be dropped in my 73 1.7

I am assuming so

Pm sent
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Feb 4 2017, 12:28 PM
Post #10

Engine SOLD pending payment. Thanks Josh

+Quote Post
thelogo
post Feb 4 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #11

Hi
I will take the engine
But ill pay cash upon pick up

Not going to do pay pal deposit thou

If you're not comfortable with that , let me know
Or if someone else wants to do a deposit with you , ill step aside

But i really want to upgrade my tired 1.7 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Feb 5 2017, 11:49 AM
Post #12

PM sent
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Feb 5 2017, 02:29 PM
Post #13

Im officially OUT

Seller thinks im trying to scam him or something.

Apparently my cash is not good enough.

You guys have at it . But buy with caution (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Feb 5 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 16,470

QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 5 2017, 12:29 PM) *

Im officially OUT

Seller thinks im trying to scam him or something.

Apparently my cash is not good enough.

You guys have at it . But buy with caution (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

You're joking, right? Your talking about Forrest, I would trust him with a signed, blank check. For you younger guys, a check is what we used before paypal.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Feb 5 2017, 03:01 PM
Post #15

Thats what i thought too

Its not that i dont trust him
He doesn't trust me

But he claims he got burned on a cash
Deal before so now he only wants the money to be exchanged at a bank . After i already told him that im only available on sundays my only day off .

I dont know how you can get burned on a cash deal

Its cash . I give you the money and you have the money .

But im not into haveing to beg to pay someone 5k

So im done
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Feb 5 2017, 03:07 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Idk either of you guys, but a bank is considered by some a safe place to do transactions. Was he going to bring the motor to the bank too?
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Feb 5 2017, 03:31 PM
Post #17

I guess cash is not king (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Feb 5 2017, 03:37 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 16,470

Logo, no dog in the fight. I was just referring to your statement, "But buy with caution". Do you think, because you two couldn't arrange a time to buy/sell the engine, it warranted that warning to other members?
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Feb 5 2017, 03:46 PM
Post #19

X
+Quote Post
euro911
post Feb 5 2017, 08:07 PM
Post #20

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Well then, just write him a check and take delivery after it clears the bank. Forrest isn't going to scam you.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 04:45 AM