Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Installing 914rubber's tow bar attachment, why is nothing ever easy when I do it?
76-914
post Jan 20 2017, 03:11 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I'm finally posting my experience of what should have been a relatively easy peasy task. Let me say early on the Mark's bar is a work of art but my car was not. When I tried to mate the bar up with my car I immediately noticed it wasn't going to fit. Two problems were evident. 1, the spread between the attach points was about 9mm too short on my car and 2, the drivers side front attachment area as about 20 degrees off. I'll explain. Where the covers and/or bar mount you will notice the are not paralell to the ground but have a slight angle. The R side appeared to be normal but as I mentioned the L side was about 20 degrees greater.
I debated as to whether I should try to bend that area to match the other side and then trim Mark's bar to match or return the bar and make my own. I attached the left side of the bar to the right side of the car and attempted to "pry" that area down. No way. It wouldn't budge!

Attached Image

Next I drilled a hole in the R front reinforcement piece which allowed me to place a piece of pipe directly on the raised area. I gave a few good whacks with a 12 lb sledge and still no love.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Then I attached some blocks to pre-load the bar while I again whacked it. Nothing.

Attached Image

Finally, with the blocks still attached I put a big foot on the bar as well then whacked it again. This time it moved and with another 10 or so whacks I was able to move the piece down enough to match the angle on the other side.
strangely enough, once that angle was correct the distance between those attach points spread out enough that the bar now fits perfectly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I thought I would have to trim it to fit but I it wasn't necessary. I remembered reading some other posts where Rick suggested to others that they correct "X" before they tried to relocate "Z". I'll bet I accidentally got it right. The spot welds did separate below but I welded those back up and everything is Kosher now.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 05:28 PM