Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!, Added a quick video on page 25
JRust
post Jan 30 2017, 11:19 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay this has been a long time coming. I am finally going to pull my incredible, reliable, powerfully awesome 158 hp NA 2.5 Subaru Drivetrain. In goes my new 2.5 Subaru Turbo motor out of a 2009 Forester XT. I will be pushing 220 plus depending on if I upgrade my turbo over the stock one. Pretty sure I am sticking with stock to start. That is a pretty easy bolt on upgrade later. I have a 2004 WRX 5speed tranny to mate up to it. Will be doing a firewall engine mount connecting to a Small car motor mount. Tranny ears for the back. Using Outfront header to move the turbo around the front of the motor. Outfront Wiring harness to the Stinger ECU. Still need to figure out the intercooler but staying in the engine bay under a GT grill. More details to follow but plan to pull my old drivetrain this weekend.

Okay so plans have changed & I am going to be putting in this 2005 WRX motor with 55k on it. My 2.5 will go in eventually but my plans are to build it out a little more. Going to get a larger turbo for it & other odds & ends to push 400hp with it. So this 2.0 motor will be pushing 220 easy & looks great

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jan 30 2017, 11:55 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

That will be a very nice bump in power!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jan 31 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #3

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

Close to 300 with just a Cobb tune and a bell mouth down pipe. About 15-16 Psi
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jan 31 2017, 12:17 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

You've been thinking about this for awhile I know - great to see you finally getting to it!
I agree with Matt. The downpipe you'll need to do anyway and the Cobb Accessport is the way to go! For as often as you'll use full boost, upgrading the turbo may not be necessary where you build your exhaust around the downpipe. Just don't starve out your fuel ratio and you're good to go - congratulations! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 31 2017, 12:39 AM
Post #5

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

What are you going to do for the intercooler?

Will it be done for the WCR?

This will be fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Jan 31 2017, 07:00 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,984

That is a good looking car! Worth the effort (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 31 2017, 09:11 AM
Post #7

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I get everything your doing except starting this at the beginning of the 914 season. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Come to think of it, I began my conversion in the Spring as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Jan 31 2017, 09:21 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Jamie, I read your add in the classifieds and it appears your offering everything that is needed for a swap except the radiator and axels. I have a set of Coldwater 914 axles that I would be willing to sell to help someone complete the conversion.

Ray
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 31 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So you got it. Nice. Still going back and forth with that Vanagon dude (don't ask y'all...I'll post it in my Van thread if it works out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ).

Hey if anyone is looking for a good NA engine Jamie's has some nice upgrades. It's got extra oomph but nothing that would affect reliability at all. I talked to the PO before he sold the car just to ask what was up with it. Perfect starter engine.

Jamie I'd stick with the stock turbo since it's free anyway. Then turn it up when you get used to the power and want more. What ECU are you running it with? EMS again or the stock ECU? There are a lot of solutions for the electronics. NASIOC is probably the best place for that.

+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 31 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 30 2017, 10:39 PM) *

What are you going to do for the intercooler?
Probably rolling with the stock setup but I know jack about intercoolers. I need to look into this more than any other part of the conversion at this point (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
Will it be done for the WCR?
#Yesmabyeihopethehellso
This will be fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Most definately (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Thanks for the heads up on axles Ray. That would be perfect. Trying to make the conversion as easy as possible for the next person. As close to turn key as I can make it without doing the conversion for them anyway. My current drive train will be an easy conversion for someone. All of the hard work is done already.

I am super psyched about finally doing the motor upgrade. It has been a long time coming for me. I plan to get the A/C setup finished with this as well. May just have to make a weekend trip down to see you Kent to do my lines.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 31 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I wish I had known you were going to sell the 2.5 3 months ago. I would have held on to the legacy instead of basically giving it away.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 31 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #12

Spooling.... Please wait

If you put an external water mister that activates on boost you should be fine with the stock intercooler for moderate boost levels.. You can also go with W/M injection post intercooler which would do a lot of good but the expense level is higher.

Or you can go with an air to water intercooler log if you plan on keeping the power at or under 300hp. Should be plenty of cooling for that power level.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 31 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #13

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Stock IC is fine even with out the mister. I would do a water to air though. Frozen Boost makes some kist for this, not sure why your limited to 300HP, just get a bigger sized unit.

It has been discussed several times thou, and well every one has done them a bit different. PorSTI uses an air to air intercooler, Scott says he gets temp creep if sitting a long time. It cools right back down once he is rolling. Spending some time in that car, I know it can move. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Gray Matter is a water to Air unit, we will see how that one turns out.

Good luck with the build and engine sale
+Quote Post
arne
post Jan 31 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #14

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799

Starting this weekend, Jamie? I guess we won't see any 'teens at coffee in Eugene this Saturday, either. I don't think we've had any show up since that time you and your buddies drove down.

Will be interesting to watch progress in this thread. I like seeing this kind of thing when I have seen the car in person before.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 31 2017, 03:02 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(arne @ Jan 31 2017, 12:33 PM) *

Starting this weekend, Jamie? I guess we won't see any 'teens at coffee in Eugene this Saturday, either. I don't think we've had any show up since that time you and your buddies drove down.

Will be interesting to watch progress in this thread. I like seeing this kind of thing when I have seen the car in person before.

When is it Arne? I might be up for coming down before I tear into it. I wanted to do a video of it running & driving anyway.
+Quote Post
arne
post Jan 31 2017, 03:49 PM
Post #16

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799

QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 31 2017, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(arne @ Jan 31 2017, 12:33 PM) *

When is it Arne? I might be up for coming down before I tear into it. I wanted to do a video of it running & driving anyway.

10:00 Saturday, same location as before. Means you wouldn't be able to start the drop until after lunch. Love to see you and the car again, though. And I'd also like to pick your brain a bit as I get ready to start my own 914 project in a few weeks.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 31 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

QUOTE(arne @ Jan 31 2017, 01:49 PM) *

10:00 Saturday, same location as before. Means you wouldn't be able to start the drop until after lunch. Love to see you and the car again, though. And I'd also like to pick your brain a bit as I get ready to start my own 914 project in a few weeks.

I'll drive down as long as the weather is decent. I added a few video's of a quick drive tonight to my classifieds add. I'll make a better one on saturday but wanted to get something up.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 31 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #18

Spooling.... Please wait

You should do some performance runs. 20-60, 40-80 ect. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Torque app on your phone will do it just on location alone if you dont have an obd port.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 31 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 31 2017, 06:57 PM) *

You should do some performance runs. 20-60, 40-80 ect. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Torque app on your phone will do it just on location alone if you dont have an obd port.

Good plan. Actually my speed hut gauge will do a 0-60 come to think of it. I need to look up how to do that. Only know that because Ray mentioned they do it. LOL didn't even know my gauges had the capability
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 1 2017, 09:51 AM
Post #20

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 31 2017, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 31 2017, 06:57 PM) *

Good plan. Actually my speed hut gauge will do a 0-60 come to think of it. I need to look up how to do that. Only know that because Ray mentioned they do it. LOL didn't even know my gauges had the capability

Push the little black knob on the face until it reads 0-60 time. It will start automatically as soon as you take off. Check out your fastest recorded speed while your in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

26 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:14 AM