Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!, Added a quick video on page 25
76-914
post Feb 24 2018, 08:55 AM
Post #121

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Jamie, my shifter would bind on the side to side when the bolt head would catch. I just ground it down till it cleared. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Feb 24 2018, 09:05 AM
Post #122

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 23 2018, 12:53 PM) *

Problem is the oil pan & the cross bar on the cradle. I can't just move it back a few inches as there is maybe an inch between the oil pan & that cross bar. So barring making a completely new cradle. Modifying this one isn't going to make sense.

Doing a new cradle is not completely out of the equation at this point either. I'll be taking it to my wrench for all my turbo work soon. I'll see what he has to say on what would be easiest. He does have a good fab guy. So making another cradle may just happen.

Ya...I just went back through your thread and found that you have the shortened/boxed oil pan. Definitely no room with that pan and the Coldwater cradle.

You could have kept your firewall mount. I really think that is the best solution...so much so that Mark now has it so that I can install it on his EG build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 24 2018, 08:05 PM
Post #123

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) cradles are so overrated. Porsche never used one, engine and trans can support themselves off the mounts locations. So many ways to build these. I now prefer the front firewall and back trans hanger, think 914-6 or 914-6 conversion cars. Plenty of room then for exhaust, shift linkage, oil plumbing, or about anything else you would like to occupy that space. I'll gladly take practical and simple over cool any day. As Einstein said, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Can't wait to see this one on the road again.

+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 24 2018, 10:24 PM
Post #124

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yeah I probably should have kept my firewall mount for it. I just didn't want to screw with everything I have on my firewall. Just my fuel pump really but I didn't want to grind off my paint to weld the plates to it. Overall that would have been a lot less work. Since I have my header coming out front for my turbo in front of the motor. I didn't see any reason not to use the cradle as it would cause me no interference with my exhaust. Oh well though not the first time I have done things the harder longer way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 25 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #125

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 24 2018, 06:05 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) cradles are so overrated. Porsche never used one, engine and trans can support themselves off the mounts locations. So many ways to build these. I now prefer the front firewall and back trans hanger, think 914-6 or 914-6 conversion cars. Plenty of room then for exhaust, shift linkage, oil plumbing, or about anything else you would like to occupy that space. I'll gladly take practical and simple over cool any day. As Einstein said, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Can't wait to see this one on the road again.

Not all cradles are overrated! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 15 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #126

914 Guru

Got my clutch MC & brace in place finally. Heading to my wrench this saturday. Need to get the transmission in neutral. I'm missing one end on one of my cable. I ordered my cables with to much throw I think. I was going by memory & did 3" of throw. I think I actually only had 2" of throw in my cables before. On the side to side cable it will work. The forward & back it is to long. I can fabricate a new back of the MR2 base where the cable mounts. That would take care of the problem. Or I order another cable with 2" of throw.

Anyway it is headed to my wrench for the following. Going to get a new cradle fabricated moving my drivetrain back 4". Getting my Turbo installed & exhaust fabricated. Wire up my ECU & finishing touches for all my motor lines.
+Quote Post
hockeymutt
post Mar 16 2018, 07:00 AM
Post #127

Member No.: 9,388

Quick question since I'm tossing around the idea of ditching the wrx motor in favor of the ez30. Is it worth the extra work to use the wrx motor?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 16 2018, 07:48 AM
Post #128

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Attached Image

You can get the trans in neutral manually at the shift rod if you need to. It slides in and out of the trans (see arrows) and there are three positions it clicks in to. the middle one is neutral. You will know its neutral because you can rotate or twist the shaft by moving the linkage at the end.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 16 2018, 08:00 AM
Post #129

It looks like the trans flanges are centered with wheels. Why are you setting it back another 4", Jaime? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 16 2018, 08:21 AM
Post #130

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 16 2018, 06:00 AM) *

It looks like the trans flanges are centered with wheels. Why are you setting it back another 4", Jaime? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

They aren't centered. Moving it back 4" would get them centered & where they were with my previous setup. Just an oversight on my part between my old cradle & the new one. Just ordered the cold water one. Which is fine & a good cradle. It is just made with the option of using the 901 tranny or the suby. I could keep it as is but think I'd need to get new axle's. I think the extra angle will just tear them up as they are stretched a bit. Plus this made things tight for my turbo at the firewall as well. I'll see what my wrench suggests is the better way to go
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 16 2018, 09:02 AM
Post #131

QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 16 2018, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 16 2018, 06:00 AM) *

They aren't centered. Moving it back 4" would get them centered & where they were with my previous setup. Just an oversight on my part between my old cradle & the new one. Just ordered the cold water one. Which is fine & a good cradle. It is just made with the option of using the 901 tranny or the suby. I could keep it as is but think I'd need to get new axle's. I think the extra angle will just tear them up as they are stretched a bit. Plus this made things tight for my turbo at the firewall as well. I'll see what my wrench suggests is the better way to go

OK, my mistake. I understand now. You'll have plenty of room up front once they're centered. We may see the green machine at RT66 after all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 17 2018, 11:56 PM
Post #132

914 Guru

Dropped it off at the shop today. We'll see how this goes. Definitely getting a new cradle tabbed up. Hopefully the guy can get on it right away. If there is a long wait. Driving it to Route 66 may not happen. Hell I am even okay with that. I'll fly out if that is the case. It would knock off a good 35-40 hours (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . With my car gone it will make cleaning up my garage easier. I'll get everything organized so when it comes home it will be more spacious
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 18 2018, 07:54 AM
Post #133

QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 17 2018, 10:56 PM) *

Dropped it off at the shop today. We'll see how this goes. Definitely getting a new cradle tabbed up. Hopefully the guy can get on it right away. If there is a long wait. Driving it to Route 66 may not happen. Hell I am even okay with that. I'll fly out if that is the case. It would knock off a good 35-40 hours (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . With my car gone it will make cleaning up my garage easier. I'll get everything organized so when it comes home it will be more spacious

Damn Jamie. Wish you were closer. We could knock one out in a day. Of course it wouldn't be as nice a product as a real fabricator will make for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 28 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #134

914 Guru

Well an update on my car though not a good one. Took it to the shop before Route 66 hoping he could finish it off in time. No luck there but didn't think WCR would be a problem. Well it would seem I screwed the pooch there as well. It's been a little out of sight out of mind. So I haven't been calling enough to keep things going. The main thing being the guy who was modifying my cradle killed me. He had my cradle over a month. Just got it back to my wrench last week & it wouldn't work. He needed to move my motor mounts back 2". Which he did but he failed to take into account the fact that cross bar was already close to my oil pan. So he moved the mounts but not the bar. Which meant it would not fit. So had to go back to get modified again. When he test fits it Wednesday the guy will come over to make new tranny hangars as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

ARGH! Okay so since he was waiting on the cradle. I did have him go through & reseal my motor, change the timing belt & water pump. As well as new Head Gaskets. Wasn't really due for it as it only has 55k on it. I didn't want anything pending there. So some good came of it I suppose. Without the cradle & the motor in place. It really kept him from doing all the work I brought it over there for. Mainly getting my turbo set & all the lines run. As well as all the intercooler stuff. What sucks is I won't have my car for WCR. Super frustrating as it should have been no problem to have it ready. I should have just bit the bullet & made a cradle myself.

One other issue is my tranny was stuck in gear. Though maybe I just bound it up somehow & he would do something simple to fix. Nah I'm going to have to pull the stack to see what the deal is. I took over my spare tranny today & got to talk things over with him. Probably be a week or 2 after WCR before it's ready. Oh well at least I will have it all dialed in for most the summer.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 29 2018, 07:51 AM
Post #135

It will all be worth it once finished Jamie! I feel your pain. I hate waiting. Hang in there and we'll see you at the '19 Events. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post May 30 2018, 03:08 AM
Post #136

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 29 2018, 07:51 AM) *

It will all be worth it once finished Jamie! I feel your pain. I hate waiting. Hang in there and we'll see you at the '19 Events. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

You've got another shot for 2018 - see you at RRC!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
2mAn
post May 30 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #137

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644

damn, I wanted to come here and give you a hard time, but it looks like you are already getting it.

Keep it up! It will all be worth it when its done, this is the annoying part. Make a list and deal with them one at a time and keep the big picture in sight. Before you know it, its exhaust time followed by a burnout!
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 31 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #138

914 Guru

Well the good news is with the test fit on my cradle the axles are lined up nicely. Moving it back 2" was just right. Only issue is the top of the tranny is hitting the bottom of the trunk. Going to need to cut out a bit for it to fit. Or drop the whole drivetrain 2 ". Which I am not going to do. So another cut in my trunk is coming. I'll get it all cleaned up & looking nice though. At this point I want to just drive my car again. I can screw around with making it all look nice later
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 1 2018, 08:25 AM
Post #139

That cut out can be a blessing, too. It's very handy for servicing the slave cylinder or a bleed point as that will be the high point on one end. Does it look like she'll be on the road in the next 30-60 days? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 1 2018, 08:46 AM
Post #140

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(JRust @ May 31 2018, 07:23 PM) *

Well the good news is with the test fit on my cradle the axles are lined up nicely. Moving it back 2" was just right. Only issue is the top of the tranny is hitting the bottom of the trunk. Going to need to cut out a bit for it to fit. Or drop the whole drivetrain 2 ". Which I am not going to do. So another cut in my trunk is coming. I'll get it all cleaned up & looking nice though. At this point I want to just drive my car again. I can screw around with making it all look nice later

Glad to see forward progress!

Are you documenting this so others don't run into same problem is is your case unique?
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:56 AM