Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!, Added a quick video on page 25
JRust
post Jun 1 2018, 10:57 AM
Post #141

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 1 2018, 07:46 AM) *

Glad to see forward progress!

Are you documenting this so others don't run into same problem is is your case unique?

I will list everything on the cradle problems I had. I may flat out just get another made with a jig that will be right for everyone. It is a little silly for multiple people to keep struggling with cradle's. The problem with the coldwater cradle is it is made to work with the 901. It will work with both but when you run a suby trans it is 2" to far forward. Give a bigger angle on the CV's. Just more likely to blow out the suby CV this way. I talked with Rich 914werks a bit about it. May just help him fab one.

Yeah my car should be on the road by the end of the month. It really isn't that far off. Just isn't going to be ready for WCR.

I am considering ditching my plan of having the turbo in front of the motor & go more with the stock subaru location. Since I need ot cut out my trunk a bit anyway. It would make it easier to put my intercooler at the top of the firewall. Without worrying about the heat from the turbo affecting it. So my current polished header may get pulled in favor of the more stock setup. Still talking it over with my wrench
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Jun 1 2018, 11:53 AM
Post #142

Member No.: 19,325
Region Association: None

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 1 2018, 09:57 AM) *

Are you documenting this so others don't run into same problem is is your case unique?

I will list everything on the cradle problems I had. I may flat out just get another made with a jig that will be right for everyone. It is a little silly for multiple people to keep struggling with cradle's. The problem with the coldwater cradle is it is made to work with the 901. It will work with both but when you run a suby trans it is 2" to far forward. Give a bigger angle on the CV's. Just more likely to blow out the suby CV this way. I talked with Rich 914werks a bit about it. May just help him fab one.

Yeah my car should be on the road by the end of the month. It really isn't that far off. Just isn't going to be ready for WCR.

I am considering ditching my plan of having the turbo in front of the motor & go more with the stock subaru location. Since I need ot cut out my trunk a bit anyway. It would make it easier to put my intercooler at the top of the firewall. Without worrying about the heat from the turbo affecting it. So my current polished header may get pulled in favor of the more stock setup. Still talking it over with my wrench

Jamie
I just ordered a pair of Dutchman axles, the axles I had on mine weren’t splined correctly and they caused the CV’s to bind and pull the axles out of the CV’s. I will see how it works with the stock location of the Coldwater cradle. I’ll be back up and running in two weeks, and let you know. If that doesn’t,t work I am going to use off road 930 CVs on both ends. They appear to have plenty of angle to work, even though it’ll be pricey.

Ed
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914work
post Jun 1 2018, 12:14 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 13,762

Jamie do you need an Trunk "steel" for patching?
Im going to be doing some final cutting on a car today.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jun 1 2018, 01:08 PM
Post #144

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Jamie,

Pictures of my V8 car for the 930 trans. I made a raised area in the trunk (for the clearance)
and then got metal from Bruce Stone so I could make the cover fit and look right. Also did a cover for access to the distributor.

My trans is also moved back a couple of inches and the drop-down bracket show.

You could do it and paint the cover later.

Best,

Bob B
Attached Image Attached Image (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 2 2018, 08:08 AM
Post #145

914 Guru

QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 1 2018, 11:14 AM) *

Jamie do you need an Trunk "steel" for patching?
Im going to be doing some final cutting on a car today.

Wouldn't hurt Rich. I have the full piece below the twilight. It's a replacement aftermarket panel. Figure to use it but that piece would be less wasteful.

Hey Bob as usual you work is top notch. I will probably weld in the extra tower braces as well. Worry about cutting the rear trunk structurally. Not a huge area but be good to stiffen things
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 3 2018, 01:05 PM
Post #146

914 Guru

Yep I am changing the location of my turbo. Just going in the more stock suby spot. Ordered a new equal length header & uppipe. So I'll be cutting out a bit more between the shock towers. Didn't really want to mess with my trunk to much. With the front trunk all used up. I need all the space I can get. LOL! Oh well the other benefit is adding my ac pump wont be a problem now. There was some interference with my turbo up front.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 6 2018, 11:50 AM
Post #147

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 1 2018, 12:57 PM) *

And well why not just get Rich to fab up an engine mount and a trans hanger setup for the MT5 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

His -6 mount is what I used as inspiration for my EG mount. It just makes a lot more sense than a cradle, maybe I am (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I really like to Keep It Simple because I can be Stupid.

People think the cradle is cool, I get it, but there is really no design reality that calls for the cradle. Only one I can think of is if your going to use it to make mounting points for the suspension. And at that point I would build a tube framed car, with a 914ish body hanging on it. Or do like Dane did.....

Attached Image

That is another epic build at a different level.

Keep going Jamie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 6 2018, 12:24 PM
Post #148

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Every indication is that coldwater is no longer making parts so hopefully some suby guys will take over the production of conversion parts and take it to the next level.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 6 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #149

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I can think of 2 advantages to a cradle or I should say my cradle. The first you know of Stephan.
1) Safety; I can roll my engine drive train out intact. No balancing acts.
2) Engine and pan protection. If I am to "bottom out" the cradle is a barrier between the engine, oil pan and exhaust

It's a matter of personal preference. This is why Ice Cream has different flavors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 6 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #150

914 Guru

QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 6 2018, 10:50 AM) *

And well why not just get Rich to fab up an engine mount and a trans hanger setup for the MT5 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

His -6 mount is what I used as inspiration for my EG mount. It just makes a lot more sense than a cradle, maybe I am (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I really like to Keep It Simple because I can be Stupid.

People think the cradle is cool, I get it, but there is really no design reality that calls for the cradle. Only one I can think of is if your going to use it to make mounting points for the suspension. And at that point I would build a tube framed car, with a 914ish body hanging on it. Or do like Dane did.....

Keep going Jamie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I actually had a firewall setup which I sold like an idiot. I had cradle on the brain & didn't want to mess up my nice painted firewall. LOL! Of course I had my cradle & thought I was set. In retrospect I would have been better off saying phuck it & starting from scratch. Doing the mixture of stuff I did has caused me problems. I would have been best off just keeping my original cradle. I was trying to make the conversion easier on whoever bought it. Unfortunately the list of things I should have done is rather long (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) . Once I am done I am going to go through & document what I ended up with. Hopefully that will help with the next guy who does it
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 27 2018, 09:06 PM
Post #151

914 Guru

Well haven't seen a lot of progress though plenty has been happening. Here is a picture of my motor finally coming together. With the intake flipped the ac compressor wouldn't fit. Added some risers to the intake to make space. Upgraded my turbo & Fuel injectors. Relocated the turbo to the stock subaru location. Cut out more of my trunk for the turbo relocation. Everything has been long & drawn out. Not to mention expensive. Didn't intend to have so much work done by my wrench. Just changed so many things once I left it there. Mike does good work so in the long run it will be worth it. It will definitely end up much nicer than if I had done all the work myself.

I haven't updated this in a while & this isn't much of one.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 28 2018, 01:49 PM
Post #152

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I was just wondering how the car was coming along! Maybe I'll see it at Rt66 2019? Nice looking engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 29 2018, 09:48 AM
Post #153

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Yeh I can't say anything about car progress (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

As far as the cradle goes I guess for guys that can't weld or don't wish to "screw up" a car it is a good idea.

I still think it would be a lot easier to make a front bar, engine mount, and then rear trans hangers. Could always build (sell) a cradle to hold the engine and trans combo. Like Scott and I have done. Both of us have different engine setup and different requirements. If you need a skid plate make it so one can be bolted on. The VW TDI guys install Panzer plates. Thick Al plates that have saved me a few times, you can see the strikes they have taken.

I have never played around with one of the newer 4 or 6 engines in a 914. I would be in to design the mounts, build and sell the mounts. the above design also makes the mount shipping friendly. I'll start a new thread, and check with a couple of consultants on the logistics of a few key components.

Sorry for the HiJack Jamie this car is to nice not to be on the road (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 31 2018, 09:14 PM
Post #154

914 Guru

I actually looked at my car today. Took a few pictures of my motor. Supposed to go back in tomorrow to get the exhaust fabbed. The AC unit is a little ugly & the alternator will fit int he middle but only with a smaller belt. Adding the risers to the intake did the trick to fit the AC unit & alternator though. The rest of the AC will be on hold though. I'll be to damn poor to do anything extra. I just want to drive it again. Took a couple pics of my cold water cradle that I had modified so my axels would line up how I want. Basically the motor mounts needed moved back 2".

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jul 31 2018, 11:10 PM
Post #155

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Looking good Jamie!
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Aug 1 2018, 03:28 AM
Post #156

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

It's looking really good! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Is that an Unorthodox pulley in front? I've heard some good things about those but haven't made up my mind to use one yet... But that cradle is looking great as do the details on the engine!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 1 2018, 01:23 PM
Post #157

914 Guru

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 1 2018, 02:28 AM) *

It's looking really good! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Is that an Unorthodox pulley in front? I've heard some good things about those but haven't made up my mind to use one yet... But that cradle is looking great as do the details on the engine!

I'll find out for you Mike. I'm not sure on the pulley
+Quote Post
flmont
post Aug 2 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #158

Member No.: 9,676

Jamie,...whats your projected power output,.??
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 2 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #159

914 Guru

QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 2 2018, 08:25 PM) *

Jamie,...whats your projected power output,.??

My wrench is pretty confident we'll pull 350 without full boost. Up to 400 pretty safely without any motor issues. We'll see how it all turns out though. Until its done & on the dyno to get tuned. I'll believe it when I see it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) . At this point I just want my 914 to run LOL!
+Quote Post
flmont
post Aug 3 2018, 05:54 PM
Post #160

Member No.: 9,676

That's Great and yes I understand all to well about the time it takes to pull things together,..starting back on mine this weekend ,.
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:00 PM