Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!, Added a quick video on page 25
Andyrew
post Feb 1 2017, 09:57 AM
Post #21

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Personally I dont like doing comparison runs with a launch. To many variables. Thats why I like 20-60, or in my car 40-80 or 60-120 as I dont get traction in the lower speeds.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 1 2017, 10:24 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 1 2017, 07:57 AM) *

Personally I dont like doing comparison runs with a launch. To many variables. Thats why I like 20-60, or in my car 40-80 or 60-120 as I dont get traction in the lower speeds.

I hear you. Not something I'm overly worried about by any means. Just want to show possible owners what the drivetrain is capable of. Was good to get it out on the road for a change. Been a few months since I have driven it. Just hoping weather holds out so I can get some good video saturday. I think I may skip the 60-120 one though Andrew. LOL! maybe with my new drivetrain I'll do that one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 1 2017, 11:23 AM
Post #23

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 1 2017, 08:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 1 2017, 07:57 AM) *

I hear you. Not something I'm overly worried about by any means. Just want to show possible owners what the drivetrain is capable of. Was good to get it out on the road for a change. Been a few months since I have driven it. Just hoping weather holds out so I can get some good video saturday. I think I may skip the 60-120 one though Andrew. LOL! maybe with my new drivetrain I'll do that one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

With 300hp It comes in pretty quick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This is my setup on about 12psi. This is about 300hp, something to look forward to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hliU58TRbFE
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 1 2017, 11:13 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Dang that was fast Rich is buying my drivetrain. So it is full steam ahead now. I am pulling the drivetrain this Saturday. Need to go through all the wiring with a fine tooth comb. My original wiring diagram needs redone for the new owner. My original one has changed when I did my new ECU. Anyway time to move on from my NA 2.5.

Time for my 2009 2.5 Turbo motor from a subaru forester XT. I did a thread when I got it. Basically the car was Tboned. Guy bought it for the front clip to fix his wife's car. Turned out he knew the guy who owned the car before. In talking to him he found out there was a recall on the motor in his car. He got factory replacement motor at 70k. So my motor has a mere 15k on it. My plan is to relocate the turbo to the front of the motor using Outfront motorsports header. It does mean I need to flip my intake or get a different one. Only because I want to setup a/c & there isn't the space to flip it & have all the accessories on the belt.
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Feb 2 2017, 12:02 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sounds like we both have builds to do. Glad to be hooked up with a good/sound entry level suby swap to begin with. Good history, good seller.
Rich
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 2 2017, 12:33 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

QUOTE(Costa05 @ Feb 1 2017, 10:02 PM) *

Sounds like we both have builds to do. Glad to be hooked up with a good/sound entry level suby swap to begin with. Good history, good seller.
Rich

You need to change your signature to Suby conversion underway istead of in consideration! Congrats Rich you are going to love this setup man. It will transform your 914
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Feb 2 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

I will need to let the PO know his chariot has been given a new identity. See attached Craigslist Ad. Its hilarious.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  1973_Porsche_914_CL_Ad_red.pdf ( 1.73mb ) Number of downloads: 170
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 2 2017, 11:05 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

QUOTE(Costa05 @ Feb 2 2017, 06:38 AM) *

I will need to let the PO know his chariot has been given a new identity. See attached Craigslist Ad. Its hilarious.

That Add is funny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .

Well Arne I am going to just tear into my car Saturday I think. Another drive may just put me off. I am inspired to get my drivetrain out & off to Rich. I take a drive Saturday the 45min down to Cars & Coffee. I am more likely to stretch that drive out longer. So I better just buckle down & get my heater going in my shop. Going to be a cold day so think I'll clean up some while I let it heat up. Then pull my car in & get busy.
+Quote Post
arne
post Feb 2 2017, 11:29 PM
Post #29

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 2 2017, 09:05 PM) *
Well Arne I am going to just tear into my car Saturday I think. Another drive may just put me off. I am inspired to get my drivetrain out & off to Rich. I take a drive Saturday the 45min down to Cars & Coffee. I am more likely to stretch that drive out longer. So I better just buckle down & get my heater going in my shop. Going to be a cold day so think I'll clean up some while I let it heat up. Then pull my car in & get busy.

Well, then I guess I'm going to need to come to you to bounce ideas off of you. Will touch bases with you soon.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 2 2017, 11:58 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

QUOTE(arne @ Feb 2 2017, 09:29 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 2 2017, 09:05 PM) *

Well, then I guess I'm going to need to come to you to bounce ideas off of you. Will touch bases with you soon.

Anytime Arne I am always up to talk 914's
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 3 2017, 09:45 AM
Post #31

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 1 2017, 09:13 PM) *

Dang that was fast Rich is buying my drivetrain. So it is full steam ahead now. I am pulling the drivetrain this Saturday. Need to go through all the wiring with a fine tooth comb. My original wiring diagram needs redone for the new owner. My original one has changed when I did my new ECU. Anyway time to move on from my NA 2.5.

Time for my 2009 2.5 Turbo motor from a subaru forester XT. I did a thread when I got it. Basically the car was Tboned. Guy bought it for the front clip to fix his wife's car. Turned out he knew the guy who owned the car before. In talking to him he found out there was a recall on the motor in his car. He got factory replacement motor at 70k. So my motor has a mere 15k on it. My plan is to relocate the turbo to the front of the motor using Outfront motorsports header. It does mean I need to flip my intake or get a different one. Only because I want to setup a/c & there isn't the space to flip it & have all the accessories on the belt.

Which route are you going w/ the AC install? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
arne
post Feb 3 2017, 10:52 AM
Post #32

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 2 2017, 09:58 PM) *

Anytime Arne I am always up to talk 914's

PM sent.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 3 2017, 12:27 PM
Post #33

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 3 2017, 07:45 AM) *

Which route are you going w/ the AC install? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I have my core unit in the fresh air box which McMark built for me. The condenser is there in front of my radiator already. The compressor will just be in the stock spot on my motor. So I just need to run my lines. Wasn't sure where I plan to run my lines. Considered just going through the center tunnel with them. Possible down the side of the longs like the oil lines typically are run. I just remember you bought all the stuff to make your own lines. So figured you are my new best friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 3 2017, 03:17 PM
Post #34

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 3 2017, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 3 2017, 07:45 AM) *

I have my core unit in the fresh air box which McMark built for me. The condenser is there in front of my radiator already. The compressor will just be in the stock spot on my motor. So I just need to run my lines. Wasn't sure where I plan to run my lines. Considered just going through the center tunnel with them. Possible down the side of the longs like the oil lines typically are run. I just remember you bought all the stuff to make your own lines. So figured you are my new best friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

If'n you'll pay the shipping both ways I'll send it your way. PM me when you get ready to do the AC or before you buy any parts for it. Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
EDIT: I'll send you the hole punch as well. That will take a few hours off the job by itself.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Feb 4 2017, 01:43 PM
Post #35

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 4 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #36

914 Guru

Okay well I've got a few picture. First 2 are of my 09 2.5 turbo motor on the stand. Then my car on the rack & an underside picture from the back. I've got to go do a few things now so plan to pull the motor in a few hours

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 5 2017, 10:45 AM
Post #37

914 Guru

Didn't make to much progress yesterday. Ended up having a busy afternoon. Went out for a while in the evening. Got may radiator lines drained. Unplugged a few things. Went to take off the outer CV's & 3 out of my 8 bolts were stripped. Anyone have a good trick for getting those? I have the official 8mm starred bit to pull them. I did not strip them trying to pull them. That was left for me unfortunately (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . So after a while I gave up & called it a night. Hope to go out for a while before the super bowl but we'll see
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Feb 5 2017, 11:07 AM
Post #38

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Cut the heads off with a grinder. Once the head is off, they usually spin out by hand if the PO didn't put thread locker on them.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 5 2017, 12:57 PM
Post #39

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 5 2017, 09:07 AM) *

Cut the heads off with a grinder. Once the head is off, they usually spin out by hand if the PO didn't put thread locker on them.

How do you cut them off Isnide your trailing arm?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 5 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #40

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 5 2017, 11:45 AM) *

Didn't make to much progress yesterday. Ended up having a busy afternoon. Went out for a while in the evening. Got may radiator lines drained. Unplugged a few things. Went to take off the outer CV's & 3 out of my 8 bolts were stripped. Anyone have a good trick for getting those? I have the official 8mm starred bit to pull them. I did not strip them trying to pull them. That was left for me unfortunately (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . So after a while I gave up & called it a night. Hope to go out for a while before the super bowl but we'll see

They make drifts you can drive into them, and back them out. But another solution, just unbolt the trailing arms.
+Quote Post

26 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:29 PM