Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!, Added a quick video on page 25
JRust
post Sep 5 2019, 09:27 PM
Post #321

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Went to harbor freight & picked up a fuel pressure gauge. Put it after the pump between the pump & the motor. I still hear it when I turn the key but I get no pressure. Ordered a new pump finally. Should have just done it a week ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 5 2019, 10:45 PM
Post #322

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 5 2019, 08:27 PM) *

Went to harbor freight & picked up a fuel pressure gauge. Put it after the pump between the pump & the motor. I still hear it when I turn the key but I get no pressure. Ordered a new pump finally. Should have just done it a week ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I knew that pump sounded weird...

Also check your filters. I had some filters clog me up.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Sep 6 2019, 02:07 PM
Post #323

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 5 2019, 08:27 PM) *

Connect the fuel rail backwards? I did that once...

I also replaced my Walbro with a Bosch. The Walbro was LOUD, inconsistent pressure, kinda slow to build pressure, and got super hot. According to Walbro not a chinese fake.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 6 2019, 03:34 PM
Post #324

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yeah that pump did not sound right. It's supposed to whine, not make that clicking chugging sound. Hopefully that's all it is.

I've had good luck with the Walbro so far. Never had any pressure problems, but if it's touching ANYTHING on the body directly it's loud as hell due to vibration. I put some insulation around mine and can't hear it when driving. What's the model # of the Bosch you used Chris?
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 8 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #325

914 Guru

Hell yes it's alive although she is smoking quite a bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Finally it's running video

Flipping hydraulic clutch cable spraying fluid everywhere. I've got no pedal I've just got to get my wife to come down & push the pedal so I can see where it is leaking from. SO I can't take it for a drive yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Sep 8 2019, 03:48 PM
Post #326

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626

Yes Sir!!

Let it run a bit and see if it clears up. It usually does.
Most excellent!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 9 2019, 06:06 AM
Post #327

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Jamie,
Congrats on the startup. It sounds good. I read your thread, and your trials and tribulations sound like mine. Trust me, when you take it for the first drive after the conversion, you will realize it has all been worth it.

Again, congrats!

Clay
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 9 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #328

914 Guru

Got my clutch line fixed. Bled it but need to do it a bit more. Took it down to the gas station for some Non ethanol premium. Also have an oil leak above the header I need to find. It pops a fair amount. Next up is getting it to a DYNO for a tune. Hoping to do it this week
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 9 2019, 08:14 PM
Post #329

Spooling.... Please wait

Magic number to beat is 288whp

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Sep 9 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #330

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 9 2019, 06:13 PM) *

Got my clutch line fixed. Bled it but need to do it a bit more. Took it down to the gas station for some Non ethanol premium. Also have an oil leak above the header I need to find. It pops a fair amount. Next up is getting it to a DYNO for a tune. Hoping to do it this week

Congrats!! Mine is scary at 220 hp. If you break 250 be real careful.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 10 2019, 06:26 AM
Post #331

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Fucking A Tweety. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) You made it. I had complete confidence in you all the way, Jamie. Good on ya. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
pploco
post Sep 10 2019, 10:11 AM
Post #332

Chief Toilet Flusher

Member No.: 22,225
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Let me know your impressions of that Cobb 20G turbo - I've got the same one for my motor.

Definitely needs a tune. What map are you running now?
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 10 2019, 05:33 PM
Post #333

914 Guru

I'm dropping it by the Dyno shop tomorrow. They are going to work it in over the next 2 days (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 11 2019, 03:16 PM
Post #334

914 Guru

QUOTE(pploco @ Sep 10 2019, 09:11 AM) *

Let me know your impressions of that Cobb 20G turbo - I've got the same one for my motor.

Definitely needs a tune. What map are you running now?

No idea the map I have I got from Outfront motorsports. They gave me a map to get it started basically. I gave them the specs of my build & they made a map for me. He made it clear I would need to get it to a Dyno for a real tune though. Dropped it off this morning. Am going to run by there before I head home today. They said they would give me a ring when they were ready to put it on the Dyno. Which now that it is after 2. I would assume will happen tomorrow. Update will come when I get one
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 4 2019, 09:52 AM
Post #335

914 Guru

Holy cow it's still at the shop. Every time he'd go to put it on the dyno they would find another problem. Car was getting to hot. I had made the mistake earlier when they were chasing leaks. It was leaking from around the water pump. It was leaking where the thermostat goes. In pulling that they noticed no thermostat & put one in. I said that was fine without remembering the thermostat just causing problems with the long lines we have to run. Got that taken back out & it stays under 210 with no problem. Fans kick on around 195 I think. Then stays around 200. Which I am great with. So they go to put it on the dyno again yesterday & I am having a super lean fuel issue in random spots. Looks like my fuel pump wires were loose. The other possibility is the fuel pump itself might be a problem. It was a new one I bought on amazon that was fairly cheap but had the right specs. Really I just bought it to rule out my original pump had failed. Apparently the one I bought has some reviews with the same symptoms it was having going lean. I'll find out today if he get's it back on the dyno & I still have a lean issue. Seems like I am have been right on the verge of having my car back running & driving for like 2 months (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) .

I do still need to get a new cable from the gas pedal to the throttle. I have a stock cable but it isn't long enough with my new setup. It works but isn't great. Is there a stock cable that is longer than your standard 4 cyclinder? Does the six have a longer cable?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 4 2019, 11:42 AM
Post #336

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 4 2019, 08:52 AM) *

Holy cow it's still at the shop. Every time he'd go to put it on the dyno they would find another problem. Car was getting to hot. I had made the mistake earlier when they were chasing leaks. It was leaking from around the water pump. It was leaking where the thermostat goes. In pulling that they noticed no thermostat & put one in. I said that was fine without remembering the thermostat just causing problems with the long lines we have to run. Got that taken back out & it stays under 210 with no problem. Fans kick on around 195 I think. Then stays around 200. Which I am great with. So they go to put it on the dyno again yesterday & I am having a super lean fuel issue in random spots. Looks like my fuel pump wires were loose. The other possibility is the fuel pump itself might be a problem. It was a new one I bought on amazon that was fairly cheap but had the right specs. Really I just bought it to rule out my original pump had failed. Apparently the one I bought has some reviews with the same symptoms it was having going lean. I'll find out today if he get's it back on the dyno & I still have a lean issue. Seems like I am have been right on the verge of having my car back running & driving for like 2 months (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) .

I do still need to get a new cable from the gas pedal to the throttle. I have a stock cable but it isn't long enough with my new setup. It works but isn't great. Is there a stock cable that is longer than your standard 4 cyclinder? Does the six have a longer cable?

Fuel delivery issues are no fun while tuning... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Make sure your filters are not clogged. Plumb in a fuel pressure gauge.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 4 2019, 01:02 PM
Post #337

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The six uses a bellcrank. Terry cable can make a custom length cable.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Oct 4 2019, 02:26 PM
Post #338

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

IIRC 914rubber makes their own, if so they could likely build a one off to your specs, or to Suby swap specs if it's a pretty common problem.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 4 2019, 02:47 PM
Post #339

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 4 2019, 02:02 PM) *

The six uses a bellcrank. Terry cable can make a custom length cable.

Yes Terry Cable made mine. Just tell them how long you want it...they will include some barrel shaped cable stops if you ask. One of them will fit the Subaru throttle body.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 4 2019, 07:41 PM
Post #340

914 Guru

Yeah fuel pump I bought was a piece of crap. It is cutting out just like a few of the comments on it. Which I didn't bother to read when I bought it. I really did consider it a temporary pump so no biggie. So have a Walbro coming
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:15 AM