Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!, Added a quick video on page 25
76-914
post Oct 5 2019, 09:40 AM
Post #341

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Hang in there Jamie. At least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 5 2019, 02:39 PM
Post #342

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yeah I'm glad that wasn't a Walbro pump because it didn't sound healthy in the startup video. Sounded way too strained. Should just have a slight whine like a toned-down or muffled 914 seat belt warning. Fingers crossed you should be all set now.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Oct 5 2019, 04:56 PM
Post #343

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Jamie my brother,

Your car really looks great. Paint is excellent in the videos. I hope you get it totally worked out soon. You deserve this bad boy to run well for you.

Best, Bob B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 8 2019, 09:16 PM
Post #344

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay New walbro pump installed. No more random super lean. Car is finally ready for it's Dyno tune. All strapped in place & supposed to get its tune in the morning. Just holding my breath no other problems arise. Hopefully I will be posting my Dyno numbers tomorrow
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Oct 8 2019, 11:59 PM
Post #345

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 8 2019, 08:16 PM) *

Okay New walbro pump installed. No more random super lean. Car is finally ready for it's Dyno tune. All strapped in place & supposed to get its tune in the morning. Just holding my breath no other problems arise. Hopefully I will be posting my Dyno numbers tomorrow

We'll be waiting for some more good news!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ravenna914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Oct 9 2019, 07:27 AM
Post #346

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865

Man this is an on pins and needles thread now!! I can't wait to hear the results!
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Oct 9 2019, 12:22 PM
Post #347

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Oct 9 2019, 12:26 PM
Post #348

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626

Dyno numbers are like crack... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 9 2019, 11:06 PM
Post #349

914 Guru

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Oct 9 2019, 11:26 AM) *

Dyno numbers are like crack... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Damn I didn't get them today. Had some spark issue. Think it fouled a plug. Nothing major but I was super busy with work. I didn't get down there like I had planned. I'll head down in the morning to see. I didn't get a call saying he was done either.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 10 2019, 05:57 PM
Post #350

914 Guru

Okay more fuel issues. I've got some kind of restriction up front. Not sure if the line is kinked from the tank to the SS fuel lines. Or I have something floating in the tank/filter. Pulling the tank in the morning to figure it out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) . With it being so inconsistent I am thinking it is a partial clog or something floating in the filter. So is fine for a while then cuts out as it clogs it. Then when no pressure moves off? Makes the most sense to me anyway. So still don't have my numbers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Andy (Dyno tune guy) is pretty confident I should have 330ish to the wheels. If I were to go a little crazy with e85 race gas I could hit mid 400's with a little different tune (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) . Next up for me is finding a Limited Slip for my tranny. They recommended the OBX with updated hardware. Best bang for the buck & very solid with the updated hardware. Still hoping to get it back tomorrow with the tune done.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 10 2019, 06:12 PM
Post #351

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Wow that's more than 2X what you had....should be fun.

FYI Subarugears sells an LSD. $900 shipped.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 10 2019, 06:37 PM
Post #352

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

I rebuilt my OBX with the upgrade bolts you can see what all I did in my thread. You also need to debur the casting. And is OBX still making them, I was looking to build a second trans and could not find another OBX. I went a bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) and surface plated the gears also so they where all flushed out.

Honda kids just change the bolts and drop them in and let the steel machine steel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Chris is correct SubaruGears sells one for $900, and no rebuild time.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 10 2019, 06:43 PM
Post #353

BTW Jamie you have to be frustrated, but it will be a small detail. Part of the reason, I put the fuel pump in the tank with a new prefilter. You can pull the nuts lift the pump out and see in the tank with out pulling the hood.

If you have access to a Borescope I would use that to see what's going on, before I pull the tank. I hate pulling tanks. Drop the under tray look around via the service holes, and remove the gas cap, and drop the scope on in and see what your pickup looks like.

Also I would rock the E85 in a heart beat, but would prefer to run with a sensor to switch the maps, not sure if your ECU can handle the input and run multiple maps based off the sensor.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 10 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #354

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 10 2019, 04:57 PM) *

Okay more fuel issues. I've got some kind of restriction up front. Not sure if the line is kinked from the tank to the SS fuel lines. Or I have something floating in the tank/filter. Pulling the tank int he morning to figure it out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) . With it being so inconsistent I am thinking it is a partial clog or something floating int he filter. So is fine for a while then cuts out as it clogs it. Then when no pressure moves off? Makes the most sense to me anyway. So still don't have my numbers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Andy (Dyno tune guy) is pretty confident I should have 330ish to the wheels. If I were to go a little crazy with e85 race gas I could hit mid 400's with a little different tune (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) . Next up for me is finding a Limited Slip for my tranny. They recommended the OBX with updated hardware. Best bang for the buck & very solid with the updated hardware. Still hoping to get it back tomorrow with the tune done.

Jamie, do you have any short pieces of the Goodyear brand fuel hose installed on your car? Maybe #R8 IIRC. Black on the outside and the inner wall is blue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 10 2019, 07:45 PM
Post #355

Kent not following your logic here?

But if your running E-85 you will need hoses that can take that stuff, I would get the proper hoses and replace them all again, if I was switching. Gates Barricade is the best stuff out there.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 10 2019, 08:30 PM
Post #356

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 10 2019, 06:45 PM) *

But if your running E-85 you will need hoses that can take that stuff, I would get the proper hoses and replace them all again, if I was switching. Gates Barricade is the best stuff out there.

That inner liner is very soft. When shoving that style hose over a steel line the inner liner can be "sliced" when slid on. This slice ends where the motion stopped so you created a flapper of sorts that now sits near or upon the steel line. When demand increases (flow increases ) this flapper is pulled down and restricts flow. In my case it happened immediately before the fuel pump where I shoved a piece on at an awkward angle. How you been buddy? Are we going to see you back at the conversion anytime soon? I miss that build..
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 11 2019, 03:11 PM
Post #357

914 Guru

Guess there was some gunk built up in my main SS feed line. Little time with an air hose cleared it out. Is working well again. Holding my breath. It's back on the dyno again & he is finishing the tune. I am supposed to pick it up this afternoon. Which means I am jinxing myself & something else will go wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 11 2019, 04:06 PM
Post #358

We want a Video and not a 15 second one.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 11 2019, 05:28 PM
Post #359

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 11 2019, 03:06 PM) *

We want a Video and not a 15 second one.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 11 2019, 06:53 PM
Post #360

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 10 2019, 10:30 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 10 2019, 06:45 PM) *

That inner liner is very soft. When shoving that style hose over a steel line the inner liner can be "sliced" when slid on. This slice ends where the motion stopped so you created a flapper of sorts that now sits near or upon the steel line. When demand increases (flow increases ) this flapper is pulled down and restricts flow. In my case it happened immediately before the fuel pump where I shoved a piece on at an awkward angle. How you been buddy? Are we going to see you back at the conversion anytime soon? I miss that build..

@76-914 Kent, Not to steal Jamies thread not sure. I have a line on a new to me car, and my wife is asking I reduce the fleet. I currently have 8 cars for just 2 of us (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) the 914-6 is going no where, I might be buried in it. The EG conversion has been on the chopping block a few times. But I keep pulling it off the block as I know, if I don't finish it, I will building something else. Like a Mid-Engine Locus, that would have enough welding / fabrication to keep me pleased for a while. So in reality I bounce back and forth each time I look at the car, build is on, look at all the other projects, I should go buy a Porsche Cayman.

Jamie Glad you found the issue and hopefully the tune goes well.
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:36 AM