Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!, Added a quick video on page 25
JRust
post Oct 11 2019, 07:51 PM
Post #361

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay here is a kinda short pull. Which ends with my tranny breaking. My luck continues
Dyno Run
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 11 2019, 08:16 PM
Post #362

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 11 2019, 06:51 PM) *

Okay here is a kinda short pull. Which ends with my tranny breaking. My luck continues
Dyno Run

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Looks like something else was going on before the trans locked up.... Did the motor lock up?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 11 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #363

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

The run up sounded good Jamie. Is the transmission, clutch, etc. stock? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Oct 11 2019, 08:54 PM
Post #364

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Don’t leave us hanging. This is like an episode from Dallas.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 11 2019, 09:29 PM
Post #365

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 11 2019, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 11 2019, 06:51 PM) *

Dyno Run

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Looks like something else was going on before the trans locked up.... Did the motor lock up?

I don't think so on the motor. The tranny is bound up good. Even trying to shift it from the back end on the rod couldn't budge it. They will pull it Monday. If it did something to the motor as well. I will phucking lose it
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 12 2019, 10:24 AM
Post #366

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Holy hell man...
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Oct 12 2019, 11:24 AM
Post #367

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865

Stay positive man.. you're in it to win it!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 12 2019, 11:36 AM
Post #368

914 Guru

Looking for an 04 forester XT tranny. The 4.11 gearing will work much better for my setup. Though my freeway cruising will be. a bit high on the rpm. Still looking through tranny stuff. Also going to do the limited slip while I am doing it
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 12 2019, 09:11 PM
Post #369

Saw this one in the classifieds on NASIOC. No affiliation at all so I can't vouch for it. From a 2005 Legacy GT but it's a 4:11

Link to Subaru Trans

There are a couple of other ones on there that don't say what year. There is an 04 XT trans ad but it sold YESTERDAY. You could also do a WTB ad...there's a separate section for it.

I keep watching your video to try and understand what happened. Does the clutch operate OK, as in does the clutch arm move at the trans when you push the clutch pedal in?
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 12 2019, 11:16 PM
Post #370

914 Guru

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 12 2019, 08:11 PM) *

There are a couple of other ones on there that don't say what year. There is an 04 XT trans ad but it sold YESTERDAY. You could also do a WTB ad...there's a separate section for it.

I keep watching your video to try and understand what happened. Does the clutch operate OK, as in does the clutch arm move at the trans when you push the clutch pedal in?

I think the drive he recommended was actually the 4.44 in that tranny. Still the 4:11 is better than what I have. So that might be a good option. I replied to the post but couldn't PM the guy because his box is full.

On my car I don't know on the clutch. I was just to pissed off & dejected to look at much of anything. I should be able to get some more info on Monday when they pull the tranny.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 13 2019, 08:26 AM
Post #371

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 13 2019, 12:16 AM) *

I think the drive he recommended was actually the 4.44 in that tranny. Still the 4:11 is better than what I have. So that might be a good option. I replied to the post but couldn't PM the guy because his box is full.

On my car I don't know on the clutch. I was just to pissed off & dejected to look at much of anything. I should be able to get some more info on Monday when they pull the tranny.

Yeah that thing is fighting you every step of the way. You'll eventually tame that beast!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 13 2019, 12:48 PM
Post #372

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Enough with the "Cliff Hanger's" Jamie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) What were the torque numbers at the time it seized? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 13 2019, 01:34 PM
Post #373

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 13 2019, 11:48 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Enough with the "Cliff Hanger's" Jamie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) What were the torque numbers at the time it seized? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I didn't get any of that. Was just getting to the point of really cranking things up. Was still at 10lbs of boost. I think I'll be in the 18lbs of boost when it's all said & done.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 14 2019, 01:06 PM
Post #374

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) 18 PSI you gas guys crack me up. I start to worry when my diesels crank out 45-50 psi. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Jamie, I am sorry about the car, you have not caught a break yet. Hoping for the best expecting bits and pieces of the worst.

BTW, check you CV joints they took a hammering on that sudden stop. Mass of the rollers, and the sudden lack of movement, I would expect the outer CVs to not have much left in them if they did not crack a cage.

I am a sick-o and lots of people speculate, I would love to see carnage pictures, I know it is hard to do, yet it will help us understand the forces these see, and maybe that the 2WD version we build still has issues.

Hopefully you don't find that your spool exploded or backed off the shaft with a nut jammed between a couple of gears.

Hard to say until it is opened up.
+Quote Post
pploco
post Oct 14 2019, 01:19 PM
Post #375

Chief Toilet Flusher

Member No.: 22,225
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm not sure what gear it was in but at about the :18 second mark you can definitely hear the trans start making funny noises.

So sorry man, that's gotta be damn frustrating. I've seen lots of transmissions on the Facebook PNW Subaru Owners group - I'll keep my eyes open.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 14 2019, 01:44 PM
Post #376

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 14 2019, 12:06 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) 18 PSI you gas guys crack me up. I start to worry when my diesels crank out 45-50 psi. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I plan to run about 35psi on the upper end on my setup... But thats a built motor... The diesels are also built for such a thing...

Jamie, I forget, is this a new trans to the setup?? What trans did you used to run?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 14 2019, 07:54 PM
Post #377

That trans wasn't kicked that hard. When the 2 wheel conversion was done was it welded or was the nut cranked down. If the latter, I wonder if that nut could have dropped and locked up that tranny? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 14 2019, 08:24 PM
Post #378

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 14 2019, 06:54 PM) *

That trans wasn't kicked that hard. When the 2 wheel conversion was done was it welded or was the nut cranked down. If the latter, I wonder if that nut could have dropped and locked up that tranny? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I'm wondering the same thing. That's pretty much the only thing that gets modified in the internals and that's one serious failure.

I bet you could remove the tail cover and get to the bottom of the issue really quick!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 14 2019, 08:30 PM
Post #379

914 Guru

The tranny I ran in my previous suby conversion was a like a 99 forester 5speed.

The tranny I had for this conversion was a 2002 WRX 5mt. It was a CL buy & I had no info on it. Seemed to go through all the gears fine. Had a bit of metal shavings on the drain plug but what used suby trans doesn't. I had another trans as well but it is locked in gear. I didn't do anything but remove the rear diff for the locking spool. I am buying a JDM transmission from a forester XT with the 4.44 gears. I'm also going to get a Limited slip put in.

I doubt the locking spool backed itself off but I suppose it's possible. I put that on myself so it should be good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) .

I will check the CV's out. The new tranny is coming with some as well. So I can just swap those in or get some new ones. Haven't looked into upgraded suby cv's.

I didn't get down to the shop today. I will go down tomorrow
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Oct 14 2019, 08:33 PM
Post #380

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

cliff hanger...hoping for the best for you Man..its been a road well traveled..Best of Luck tomorrow... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:10 AM