Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 24 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!, Added a quick video on page 25
Costa05
post Oct 27 2019, 08:53 PM
Post #421

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 27 2019, 09:01 PM) *

Went back through my paperwork. Looks like my Speedometer is not a GPS unit. It was run off the VSS going by what Dean wrote. Is that on the transmission. I'm going to need to figure out how to wire that back up. I may have sent that off with my old setup. Would that just be a wire coming from the sensor to my speedometer? Is it as simple as that?

Jamie your old setup has a VSS on the transmission. Rt side of transmission. black one in center of photo. Has a plug on the end of a short pigtail. Unfortunately I am planning to use mine or it would be in the mail. Using one you will need to program the speedo to correlate to the VSS revolutions it sees at the tranny. Supposed to be straightforward. I think you can auto program at speed if you have a pace car to follow. Hope this helps. Congrats by the way.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 27 2019, 10:02 PM
Post #422

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Costa05 @ Oct 27 2019, 07:53 PM) *

Jamie your old setup has a VSS on the transmission. Rt side of transmission. black one in center of photo. Has a plug on the end of a short pigtail. Unfortunately I am planning to use mine or it would be in the mail. Using one you will need to program the speedo to correlate to the VSS revolutions it sees at the tranny. Supposed to be straightforward. I think you can auto program at speed if you have a pace car to follow. Hope this helps. Congrats by the way.

Attached Image

Perfect. Thanks bud. Yeah I am sure my tranny has the sensor there with a pigtail. So I just need to wire from that to my speedo. Yeah I have a calibrate deal so as soon as I can get the signal there. I should be golden
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 2 2019, 11:23 PM
Post #423

914 Guru

Had a few minutes to work on the car today. Spent a few minutes cleaning up some wiring. Adjusted my shifter linkage a bit too. Still need to finish up my mount for my shifter. My temporary one sucks. Kicking around between building it from wood or metal.

Took it out for a quick drive today. It is so nice to be able to drive my car. A quick pic

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 4 2019, 11:13 PM
Post #424

914 Guru

Back at the Dyno tuesday. My boost controller is in & tomorrow we crank it up. I will have some new dyno #'s tomorrow. Been nice driving my car the last 2 weeks. Still the power hasn't been quite as good as I was expecting. That should change tomorrow. Don't get me wrong it is fast as it is. Just didn't quite get the head thrown back feel. It is nice & smooth but I can't wait to have the turbo cranked up. I am excited to see how it feels
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 5 2019, 02:52 PM
Post #425

914 Guru

I am absolutely cursed. Get it on the Dyno for it's pull & it's fine for a minute. Then start making a noise. It's got a good knock now & guy says it's a bearing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . So my options are get a used JDM to replace it or upgrade. Used Jdm low mileage will run me $2500 installed. Used so no warranty. Or I can upgrade to an 2.5 IAG block with all forged stuff. This would get an 50 in torque & 10-15 hp. This would also be warrantied & I wouldn't have to wonder about it being used. Of course it's another 5k
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Nov 5 2019, 03:23 PM
Post #426

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

OUCH! That hurts.
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Nov 5 2019, 03:27 PM
Post #427

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

So sorry to hear the lastest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Oh so close.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Wishing you the best Jaime.

Oscar
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 5 2019, 03:39 PM
Post #428

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Really?

Damn.....

Could you make use of a forged bottom end? I mean what are your limit differences?

I say go JDM.... A new motor could have it's own issues. Not to mention time.
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Nov 5 2019, 03:44 PM
Post #429

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865

Jamie,

So sorry to hear that. I have a spare EJ 20 with 60,000 on it. Id' throw it your way for 800.00 bucks. (you can come down to cali and truck it back up).. or we could figure out how to ship it (I have no clue) but from all I can tell, it is a solid motor. Same as what is in my car. I think you are running a 2.5 but mine at 220 HP is blazing fast. Trans and all your gear should bolt right up to it.

Anyway, it is an option to save you some money. I bought it as a spare from a running car as a "just in case" or "future build" motor. It is not a JDM but is a USDM. It is a longblock but I have the intake for it.

Totally up to you.

Rob
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 5 2019, 05:04 PM
Post #430

914 Guru

I appreciate it Rob but think I'll stick with the JDM. Only $1200 for it & is around 30k on the motor. I at least get a 30 day warranty with it. If it can make it through a dyno session I should be good to go.

While this does suck & i appreciate the sympathy.. I'm done feeling sorry for myself about it. I am pissed but getting to drive my car again. I'd do damn near anything to have it back driving again. So I just ordered the JDM & should have it in 2 weeks. I'm not posting about a damn dyno again until it's over though. Must be jinxing myself

Andrew yeah the forged stuff with the 2.5 would be an upgrade. They are as close to bulletproof as they get with Subaru. I could push my Redline up to 8k instead of my current 7k. Not that it matters since I am not going that route.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Nov 5 2019, 09:25 PM
Post #431

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

Hate to hear anyone having engine trouble
Especially a beast like this 914 is

But i recently have been made aware that
Subarus have some serious reliablity issues.
Was told that head gaskets and ring lands
Will require engine out at very least every 100k
Miles

Is this true. ?
And also that they get extremly poor gas mileage ?

And i would assume pushing the boost up
Doesn't help prolong things either

Have you look at how much a 996 engine cost$
? While your at the crossroads
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 5 2019, 09:51 PM
Post #432

914 Guru

I am entirely to far down this rabbit hole to scrap it all for another conversion. They are head gasket prone sure but not that often. New gaskets will go another 100k no problem. Hell 100k on my motor would last me 10-15 years easy. I've had this car like 9 years & am pushing maybe 30k. Of course I've only driven it about half that time. This is my weekend nice weather cruiser. In Oregon that translates to about 8 months out of the year decent driving weather. If it wasn't for the long trips for the 914 events each year. I wouldn't put all that many miles with my weekend drives.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Nov 5 2019, 10:49 PM
Post #433

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 5 2019, 09:25 PM) *

Hate to hear anyone having engine trouble
Especially a beast like this 914 is

But i recently have been made aware that
Subarus have some serious reliablity issues.
Was told that head gaskets and ring lands
Will require engine out at very least every 100k
Miles

Is this true. ?
And also that they get extremly poor gas mileage ?

And i would assume pushing the boost up
Doesn't help prolong things either

Have you look at how much a 996 engine cost$
? While your at the crossroads

Subaru’s actually have one of the highest reliability ratings. The head gasket issues were resolved in the year 2000 and mainly involved the 2.5 DOHC engines. My EG33 has the original head gaskets from 1995. It’s true that some don’t get great mileage but that’s not due to the engine, but the fact that the cars are relatively heavy. All of them are awd too. In a small, light car the mileage is much better. Kent gets 35 mpg with his 6 on the highway.

Sorry to hear about the bearing issue Jamie. That sucks. Keep plugging away at it.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Nov 6 2019, 09:03 AM
Post #434

Member No.: 22,446

@JRust Do NOT buy a used JDM engine, must of them are 100k miles or more. The 30-50k or "low mileage" is complete BS and just a sales pitch.

You can toss a 2.5 crank and forged pistons in your 2.0 block and have a motor that will be much happier than a 2.5. And it will save you a bunch of money.

Redline is not dependant on bottom end, you'll need quality valve train to go to 8k without possibility of damage.

There's no reliability issues with Subarus except the EJ255/EJ257 (turbo 2.5L) and the new design FA/FB motors.

The turbo 2.5's have a piston design issue (Subaru lost a class action over it) but adding forged pistons only prolongs failure as the real issue is in the bore size vs rod angles.

The head gaskets don't fail because of design.

The N/A engines leak externally due to the crap quality of most US oils. They don't have the issue in Japan or Europe where oil quality is mandatory by law.

The turbo engines only lose gaskets when pushed beyond it's mechanical abilities by wannabe tuners (ie detonation) and people who think it's a race car but don't want to build a race engine.

And don't get me started on the closed deck BS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

FA/FB- well that's a story for another class action lawsuit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

If you need help with your engine decision pm and I'd be happy to help
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Nov 6 2019, 09:54 AM
Post #435

Member No.: 17,338

Bummer Jaime. We all share your ups and downs. Keep the core engine to rebuild.
I haven't dealt with Subaru's in many years, but they were completely reliable in the 80's and 90's. All I ever seemed to do was clutches.

I think you've sacrificed enough to the automotive gods. They have to let you succeed now!
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 6 2019, 10:05 AM
Post #436

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

so sorry to hear this
Hang in there.
you will beat it!!!!

all the best
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
burton73
post Nov 6 2019, 10:58 AM
Post #437

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Jaime brother,

Hang in there. Its going to be a super nice 914 after you get it worked out. You are almost there.

I hope good luck comes your way from the Porsche VW gods.

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 6 2019, 03:00 PM
Post #438

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Nov 7 2019, 04:03 AM) *

@JRust Do NOT buy a used JDM engine, must of them are 100k miles or more. The 30-50k or "low mileage" is complete BS and just a sales pitch.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) have heard horror stories about many JDM motors imported to my country,most in the know don't touch them or buy them @ core value,engine shops avoid them now as there have been so many issues.
These motors are often poorly maintained before being dismantled from cars and not sealed up or stored well after removal,a mate bought a motor and it had rain water in it,the importers don't really care as they buy them for basically scrap value and find any way to escape the warranty.
Buyer beware in this case ,don't ask me how I know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) .
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Nov 6 2019, 03:41 PM
Post #439

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

I guess their are virtually no other flat watercooled engines. Out their

So there isnt really anyway to compare reliability
Especially since jdm engines are really milage unknown
But most car engines (inline/4)will require less work and be way cheaper on maintence then subaru
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 6 2019, 04:30 PM
Post #440

914 Guru

Okay you guys are freaking me out on the JDM. I'll hold off for now & do some research. Keep your info coming
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 01:08 PM