Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 21 22 23 24 25 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!, Added a quick video on page 25
Chris914n6
post Nov 6 2019, 05:59 PM
Post #441

Jackstands are my life.

Group: Members
Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Stock parts should be pretty cheap. I'd rebuild and refresh, then you would have a practically new motor.

JDMs are definitely closer to 100k than 30k or even the 60k they used to advertise.
I bought a JDM Nissan motor once, turbo didn't spin and the intake was full of a white sandy powder. Sent it back.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pploco
post Nov 7 2019, 08:21 AM
Post #442

Chief Toilet Flusher

Member No.: 22,225
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I've had a few JDM motors over the years. One went straight in and was absolutely flogged for 50K miles without any issue. Another got a new water pump, oil pump, and timing belt - that one has about 40K miles and is still going strong. Another, I pulled the heads to take a peak - it definitely had more than the 35K miles on the paperwork, but it was less than 500 bucks to rebuild with NOS parts from NASIOC.

Given the luck you've had, I'd probably rebuild or get new shortblock. A bad bearing doesn't mean the motor is junk. You can get through a rebuild with OEM parts for about the same cost or less than a "slightly used" JDM motor. Lots of options.

Heck - tear it down, get it honed, get the parts, and bring it to Boise. I'd help you rebuild it.
+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Nov 7 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #443

They call me "Nanoman"

Member No.: 10,736

That sucks. No doubt.

I had 2X JDM motors in my conversion. The first spun 4 bearings in the bottom end. teardown showed a dented oil pan from shipping that closed up the oil pickup tube gap as well as a slight crack in the oil pickup tube (very common problem).

The second engine was modified with the Outfront Motorsports oil pickup and I made sure to straighten and reinforce the bottom of the oil pan. Ran great. No issues with 22psi boost on twin turbos.

If you go the used engine route check the oil pan. Makes sure it was not damaged (even slightly) when bouncing on a pallet during shipping. Happens a lot.

+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 11 2019, 11:55 PM
Post #444

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

After licking my wounds for a while. I have decided to go the JDM route. MY shop will check it out good & warranty it for 90 days. So I feel okay about it. This will be my cheapest route to get my car back on the road again. So not much of an update I suppose. Just called the shop to order the motor. Should take a week to get it.Then another few days to swap it
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 12 2019, 08:55 AM
Post #445

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Way to go Jamie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Get back on that damn Horse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) Did they give you an estimated time of completion? Keep that old engine, place it on a stand then tear it down when you have the time. It will be worth your time to know your engine. Your own personal Cheerleader, Kent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
MichiganMat
post Dec 12 2019, 11:06 AM
Post #446

Member No.: 6,222
Region Association: Northern California

I am on my 2nd JDM EJ motor.

I got a few good track days out of the first, then spun the bearings. I rebuilt it, and then got less than 1 full day out of it and spun the bearings again. When I opened it I found scored pistons and cylinders, as well as another spun bearing. The tell-tale sign for the bearing failure for me was a change in exhaust note and a slightly noticeable reduction in power. The next time I hear the exhaust note change (it becomes more boomy, bass filled, and louder) I'll trust my instincts and shut the car off.

Additionally, my data logs from the day do not show starvation of any kind, but rather a progressive lab-by-lab lowering of the oil pressures.

The new motor going into the car now is also a used one, but I've added a new larger oil pump (11mm vs 10mm) and I'll be using a large external oil cooler. I've also got an oil block-off plate between the pan and the block to prevent g-force related starvation. Its unclear to me why the first two motors did not last, as they were bone stock, not hyped or with crazy tunings. All I can guess is that hot thin oil and a too-small (or badly functioning) pump was the cause.

In my humble, most google-educated, opinion, I suggest you look into all causes and conditions surrounding the oil delivery to your new motor. A slightly larger pump and proper cooling may just save you from another expense.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 12 2019, 10:13 PM
Post #447

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Solid choice. It’ll get you back on the road the fastest as well. Keep the other motor and start collecting parts for it bit by bit.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 12 2019, 10:44 PM
Post #448

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 12 2019, 08:13 PM) *

Solid choice. It’ll get you back on the road the fastest as well. Keep the other motor and start collecting parts for it bit by bit.

Yeah I plan to pull it apart. I'd like to see what really happened. Was shut off quickly so it may not have major damage. I'll work on rebuilding it in my spare time. I'll have it ready if my JDM takes a dump. I also have my other 914 I'll be picking up to restore. So getting mine out of the garage to move it in will be good. I can get the drive train pulled & down to the painter in week it's gone. Then I will be needing to get myself a lift so I can fit them both.

I also came damn close to buying a 08 Cayman over thanksgiving while I was in SLC. I did drive it & really liked it. Really been considering picking up a Boxster. I definitely liked the Cayman better but Boxsters are so damn cheap.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 17 2019, 06:46 AM
Post #449

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

Jamie remember when you lusted after the suby914.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Orig. Builder getting an award RRC2012
2012, obviously you had a desire...drive on...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=193828

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 17 2019, 08:04 AM
Post #450

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 12 2019, 12:55 AM) *

After licking my wounds for a while. I have decided to go the JDM route. MY shop will check it out good & warranty it for 90 days. So I feel okay about it. This will be my cheapest route to get my car back on the road again. So not much of an update I suppose. Just called the shop to order the motor. Should take a week to get it.Then another few days to swap it

Progress is always worth updating us on, no need to apologize for being pragmatic.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 17 2019, 09:31 PM
Post #451

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with the Cayman, just such a nice car to drive, standard, S, spent some seat time in a GT4, love all of them. In reality it is about as close as you will get to a Subized 914.

I still think about buying one about once a week.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Dec 18 2019, 10:56 AM
Post #452

Member No.: 9,676

I bought a 02' Boxster in march with 80 K on it with a bunch of maintenance already done on it,Its just the base 2.7 but it is a solid driving car,.Truly enjoy it,...But still cant weight to get my 3.3 914 on the road,..I just love that classic 914 look .!!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 20 2020, 01:55 PM
Post #453

914 Guru

I am changing my mind again. I am going to build a brand new motor. Getting a IMG 2.5 short block with forged parts. Getting hybrid pistons to use my current 2.0 heads. Stage 2 cams. That alone is 5k but I will have a rock solid brand new motor. Going to look for a stock wiring harness & go with a stock suby ECU. So I will be done with my stinger ECU. So much easier to get a tune done with the stock ECU plus have all the stock sensors. I am already into my setup a shit ton anyway. All in this will cost me about 8k. Which sucks but this motor will be a huge upgrade & will have a warranty. In the end I will be back to having a really reliable setup I can take anywhere. It will just have a bunch more power. I will still run it in the 300-350hp range. With e85 I can push over 500hp with no problem. Just not going that crazy.

I just kept going through the used JDM or even a used US suby motor. I still have the worry of a bearing issue. Which all higher mileage motors will have. I might be fine for a few years. It might do the same damn thing in a month. I'd rather invest long term & get it done right.

The other option is scrap all this shit & go with the ez30 instead. I could do it for alot less money. Problem is I have spent so much going the turbo route & have a ton of parts worth money. Sure I could sell some of it. I also got a taste of the turbo & damn I want to feel that in full effect.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 20 2020, 02:31 PM
Post #454

914 Wizard

well even withe subi engine , It just keeps playing out that you can not Turbo a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
Sounds like a real strong package.warranted... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
and yes I have 2 broke 6cyl's
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 20 2020, 02:38 PM
Post #455

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 20 2020, 12:31 PM) *

well even withe subi engine , It just keeps playing out that you can not Turbo a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

As my turbo would say Pshhhhh

Jamie,
I've come to find out I love the piece of mind of a warranty.. You're going to turn up that block once you get on E85, I know it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jan 20 2020, 02:50 PM
Post #456

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

Using subaru engines is a compromise i think
Durability wise ....

And adding boost isnt gonna help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Is there a reason you dont use a inline\4 cyclinder turbo engine.

As they make power way more reliably and cheeper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 20 2020, 04:24 PM
Post #457

914 Guru

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 20 2020, 12:50 PM) *

Using subaru engines is a compromise i think
Durability wise ....

And adding boost isnt gonna help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Is there a reason you dont use a inline\4 cyclinder turbo engine.

As they make power way more reliably and cheeper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Subaru's are very reliable motors & even the built ones with alot of boost. This motor will be capable of cranking my boost up to 30lbs if I want. I won't go near that & this motor will go for many years. Which is why I am going to spend the extra coin on it.

As far as using an inline 4 turbo? I was already doing subaru & love them. Not planning to change to a different drive train completely. Even with the issues I have had. If I was starting from scratch I would probably do an LS motor & no turbo.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 20 2020, 06:32 PM
Post #458

914 Wizard

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 20 2020, 07:46 PM
Post #459

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Good plan Jamie. A new or rebuilt-to-new-spec engine will be reliable for a LONG time and you can feel confident driving it anywhere you want. I hear once you experience boost in a 914 you can't go back!

BTW here is a Subaru engine build channel on YouTube. German guys building high performance Subaru engines in a spotless shop. Very talented group. Check it out:

Subi Performance

+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 20 2020, 07:56 PM
Post #460

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

I see Cobb in your future, might as well put in the flex fuel sensor. A little corn fuel makes your day so munch more fun. Also means you can put that OBX diff to good use.
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 05:45 AM