Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 24 25 26  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!, Added a quick video on page 25
Andyrew
post Jun 5 2020, 12:10 PM
Post #501

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jun 5 2020, 11:08 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 5 2020, 12:23 PM
Post #502

Spooling.... Please wait

That is good looking work. I plan to bring it a bit higher & have it higher in front than back. Plan to build the front this weekend. My ECU is sitting basically dead center between the seats at the firewall. So I am going to give it 2 separate sections. They will connect but I won't need to remove both depending on what I am working on. I'll post some more pics this weekend.
[/quote]

Sounds familiar! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Look forward to seeing your solution!!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 5 2020, 05:13 PM
Post #503

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 5 2020, 11:23 AM) *

Yeah Andrew I don't think I will have it quite as high as yours. I think my current the bottom of the shifter is at about 4" off the center tunnel. I'm thinking 7-8" with a drop of 1" to the back. I'll play with the feel of it & may drop 2" in back if it doesn't feel bad.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 5 2020, 06:32 PM
Post #504

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 5 2020, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 5 2020, 11:23 AM) *

Yeah Andrew I don't think I will have it quite as high as yours. I think my current the bottom of the shifter is at about 4" off the center tunnel. I'm thinking 7-8" with a drop of 1" to the back. I'll play with the feel of it & may drop 2" in back if it doesn't feel bad.

I can't wait to see it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 6 2020, 02:55 PM
Post #505

914 Guru

Couple pics with my new Zero Decibals shifter. Good news is even though the console I built is a temporary one. I don't have the movement I had with my previous mount that made my shifts a bit sloppier. I am loving the feel of this Zero Decibals shifter coupled with his Bell crank setup in back. My shifts are precise & the throw is short.

This console is 14" long, 5 7/8" wide 7" tall in front sloping down to 6" in back. I am going to build a new one. The new one will be 8" tall in front with 6" in back. So a bit more rake to it. At least theat is the shelf the shifter will mount too. The outside will be 2" taller. It will also have some storage below from the front. More space below in the middle of the shift cables (in the space just back of the shifter with a big gap in the aluminum). Just for misc change or whatever. There will be an addition 10" section behind this. Which the cables will be going through as well but will still give me room for wahtever. Leaves about 6" of space between the firewall & the console. This is where my ECU will be staying. With the stock 914 arm rest sitting on top. Will tie things together nicely.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 6 2020, 04:39 PM
Post #506

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

That looks great Jamie. Curious as to what caused the MR2 shifter to move to and fro when you shifted? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Jun 6 2020, 05:32 PM
Post #507

Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

Well planned. I just put put your shifter upgrade on my to do list someday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 6 2020, 06:47 PM
Post #508

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 6 2020, 03:39 PM) *

That looks great Jamie. Curious as to what caused the MR2 shifter to move to and fro when you shifted? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I just had some angle iron with holes in it. Put 2 pieces together with bolts in it. Wasn't very thick metal. So between the front & back it would bend. So it would rock back & forth just a bit. That coupled with my cables being just a bit to long. The shift to 2,4,R the rod would bottom out. Went in usually but make the rocking worse. When i did it was just to test height a bit. Was never meant to stay in there as long as it did.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 18 2021, 06:24 PM
Post #509

914 Guru

Well it's been 2 years with no updates. That is 2 years of having my car driving. Though I didn't put more than a couple thousand miles on it. Only driving in nice weather & on weekends. I did flat tow out for Route 66 last weekend. I had some heat issues on one day. Car hit 230 degrees & popped one of the rubber nipple caps. Was shooting out antifreeze all over my car. Really was quite the mess. Once it cooled off I added some water & we got back on the road. Ended up getting hot again. Just up at altitude & the longer pulls going up long grades. Pretty sure I had some air in the system. I just stopped there & got a ride back to the hotel & my truck. Flat towed it back to hotel. Good news is no blown headgasket or anything. Just got hot & took the weakest spot out. Which for me was a less than a 1$ rubber cap. So more an annoyance than a real problem.

Flat towed home & took it to my shop who did my tune. Had them change my oil & flush my system. Their vacuum bleeder get's the air out good. They also verified no issues from it getting hot. While I have it there. I got my stock subaru wiring harness from the 2002 WRX my motor came from. I had sent it to Jeff Robenolt @ autoadventures to cut down the harness. He does fantastic work & is very reasonable. So I am having them put in the new harness & stock subaru ECU. Then I will get it back on the dyno for a real tune. The old Stinger ECU is very limited & was hard to find any tuners who would work with it. With the stock Subaru ECU my tune can get more aggressive & I can download a tune damn near anywhere with CObb access port. Hoping to hear back Tuesday it's all in.

After that next on my list is going to an air to water intercooler. After watching Andrew's youtube video on Budget outlaws. My straight air to air I know sucks. Really was just a temporarily setup to see how it would do. It limited my tune as intake temps were getting up there. I meant to replace it sooner but just kinda left it alone. Working now on getting all the parts together for my budget intercooler setup. I'm going to use Andrews idea of a motorcycle radiator for the heat exchanger. I know his fits up in the his flared wheel well. Not sure where I am going to place mine yet. I may keep it up where my current intercooler is just under the gt engine lid. I'll update with some pictures when I get it back from the shop.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 18 2021, 06:31 PM
Post #510

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Jeff did my SVX harness a couple years ago. Great guy to work with.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
strawman
post Sep 19 2021, 10:41 PM
Post #511

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

Hi Jamie, I am glad to hear that your overheating problem didn't do any damage. I am a strong proponent of vacuum coolant system fills -- best $130 I ever spent. My air-to-water system works great, and I've never had a problem with it. My build blog shows the FrozenBoost unit I'm using, along with a Bosch heater booster pump (from a BMW E34 5-series -- under $10 at Pick-n-Pull!) and a transmission cooler heat exchanger from a Ford Crown Vic. I hammer my car hard, and my intake temps never get 20 degrees higher than ambient temperature according to my COBB AccessPort data logging sessions. I hope that you can join at WCR next month!
Geoff
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Sep 19 2021, 11:29 PM
Post #512

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Really glad to hear your car is still in good shape...it had me worried when it blew after me driving it! The vacuum fill is absolutely the way to go with a system like yours. I hope you can make it to WCR after it all get straightened out - you know how much fun these roads are gonna be!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 22 2021, 03:19 PM
Post #513

914 Guru

New harness installed & basic tune done. Goes on the Dyno for the real tune this afternoon. Wish I had my air to water intercooler setup done already. I'll have to get it back down later to tweak the tune at that point. Would have been nice to have it all done. As it is I have a hefty bill waiting for me on pickup. With my old stinger setup I was at 270hp to the wheels. I should be north of 300 now but am still limited by my intake temps with my current intercooler. Anyway I hope to have some new Dyno numbers today but may be tomorrow. Also keep your fingers crossed. I have had some bad days on the dyno with my previous motor. So I get damn nervous with it going back on
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 23 2021, 08:18 AM
Post #514

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 22 2021, 02:19 PM) *

New harness installed & basic tune done. Goes on the Dyno for the real tune this afternoon. Wish I had my air to water intercooler setup done already. I'll have to get it back down later to tweak the tune at that point. Would have been nice to have it all done. As it is I have a hefty bill waiting for me on pickup. With my old stinger setup I was at 270hp to the wheels. I should be north of 300 now but am still limited by my intake temps with my current intercooler. Anyway I hope to have some new Dyno numbers today but may be tomorrow. Also keep your fingers crossed. I have had some bad days on the dyno with my previous motor. So I get damn nervous with it going back on

Can't wait to see those numbers. More importantly, I can't wait to see those temp gauge numbers after you install the air to water intercooler. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 23 2021, 09:33 PM
Post #515

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 23 2021, 07:18 AM) *

Can't wait to see those numbers. More importantly, I can't wait to see those temp gauge numbers after you install the air to water intercooler. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Yeah I'm picking it up tomorrow. Stupid intercooler hose kept popping off when he was trying to tune it. Finally got fed up with it & just has a basic tune to it with like 10lbs boost. He isn't charging me for the dyno as he couldn't get a real tune. Wants me to get my air to water intercooler done & bring it back down. My car runs as is just fine but is close to a stock setup at like 230hp. So getting my air to water intercooler setup is now a top priority for me. It is the final step for this. Although I could still put my 20g turbo on it for a little more power when I do the next dyno setup. Think I'll probably stick with the 16g & just see what I think of that setup when I can finally get the tune dialed up.
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 24 25 26
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:46 AM