Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 73 Suby drivetrain conversion upgrade!, Added a quick video on page 25
76-914
post Feb 1 2018, 08:47 PM
Post #81

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I'll give you a pat on the back for jumping back in. Smart approach, too! Start on a "not to hard" and work your way back into it. There are enough items that you can bounce around. It happens quickly and you'll back into it soon. How is the fuel pump controlled with that turbo engine. Does your aftermarket ECU control the fuel pressure? If your engine requires the FP controller, I have an extra one somewhere. Good to see you jumping back in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 3 2018, 12:17 PM
Post #82

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay now I know why I haven't done squat since I moved. My shop space dropped 2/3rds when I moved. While I got rid of a bunch of 914 crap I had built up I didn't have space for. I still have to much crap in my space. All the parts I have for my car are buried in totes from my move. I spent 10 minutes pulling my pedal cluster. I've spent the last hour scouring through totes to find my hydraulic bracket. Of which I know I have 2. I have 2 full setups for this conversion. 1 new Wildwood MC(found), 1 new Honda MC(not found), 2 new reservoirs (found). I can't find the MC conversion bracket's. I've got about 3 more lg totes to look through. They are just buried on a shelf 9ft off the ground & weren't light when I manhandled them up there. I got parts spread all over my workable space now. So looking like today will be spent trying to get my shop area more organized so I can find what I need. Then have space to work again after. ARGH! I really hate not having a shop separate from our garage. Everyone just fills the garage with whatever the hell they don't want (yeah thats mostly my wife). I can probably spend the entire day trying to organize it & not feel much better about it when I'm done. I still have to much stuff for to little space. I will always be fighting to make space to do anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

About the only positive this morning is I found my set of Boxster brake Calipers. Along with a pair of the adapters to make them work. Although I can't remember if the adapters are for the front or rear. I think the front. Really was a waste of my money as I already have the 944 Brembo turbo calipers up front already. I don't think these are any larger. Probably should just sell these
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Feb 3 2018, 01:15 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Jamie, I can fix this situation for you. We trade cars. My running SIX for your roller. Straight across. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Seriously though, I love your car and hope to see it on the road again soon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) It is very hard for me to get motivated to work in my shop if I can't find anything or if I have to work around stuff that is being stored in the garage. I totally understand! But with that said, we are cheering (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) for you, summer is coming so get your ass in the garage and get that beautiful car back on the road! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
Coastal6
post Feb 3 2018, 06:43 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 11,467

Jamie,
I was beginning to wonder if the project was stalled out.
I’m glad to see that you have started to make some progress again abit with what appears some frustration on your garage space and the stuff piled up in it.
Give me a call if you come across a task that requires a second person as I would be happy to take a short road trip up your way to help out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Jim
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 3 2018, 06:47 PM
Post #85

914 Guru

Well after a whole lot of looking & organizing. My garage still looks like crap. I did manage to find 1 of my conversion plates for the MC. I had moved onto my motor. Removed me tranny. Just had it bolted up for test fitting. Still needed to install my Flywheel, clutch & pressure plate. So installed the flywheel & torqued the bolts to 52lbs. Installed the flywheel bearing. Went to install the clutch & pressure plate but I could not find bolts. Looked at the local parts stores with no luck. Ordered some from Subaru dealership. Supposed to be here Wednesday. Going to bolt it to my engine stand. I've got a small car mount on it I am not using. The side with the dipstick tube on it I've got to pull the oil pan to remove. Not a big deal I'll try to tackle it tonight. Taking a break for some dinner. Then need to get pick up some stuff to make Mike Moorman's rotella dip for the big game tomorrow. Good to finally do something on my car. Didn't amount to a whole lot but it is progress (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 3 2018, 07:06 PM
Post #86

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Way to go Jamie. It will become more organized and easier in the next few sessions. Stay after it and keep posting your results. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 4 2018, 11:02 AM
Post #87

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 3 2018, 11:17 AM) *

Okay now I know why I haven't done squat since I moved. My shop space dropped 2/3rds when I moved. While I got rid of a bunch of 914 crap I had built up I didn't have space for. I still have to much crap in my space. All the parts I have for my car are buried in totes from my move. I spent 10 minutes pulling my pedal cluster. I've spent the last hour scouring through totes to find my hydraulic bracket. Of which I know I have 2. I have 2 full setups for this conversion. 1 new Wildwood MC(found), 1 new Honda MC(not found), 2 new reservoirs (found). I can't find the MC conversion bracket's. I've got about 3 more lg totes to look through. They are just buried on a shelf 9ft off the ground & weren't light when I manhandled them up there. I got parts spread all over my workable space now. So looking like today will be spent trying to get my shop area more organized so I can find what I need. Then have space to work again after. ARGH! I really hate not having a shop separate from our garage. Everyone just fills the garage with whatever the hell they don't want (yeah thats mostly my wife). I can probably spend the entire day trying to organize it & not feel much better about it when I'm done. I still have to much stuff for to little space. I will always be fighting to make space to do anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

About the only positive this morning is I found my set of Boxster brake Calipers. Along with a pair of the adapters to make them work. Although I can't remember if the adapters are for the front or rear. I think the front. Really was a waste of my money as I already have the 944 Brembo turbo calipers up front already. I don't think these are any larger. Probably should just sell these

I feel your pain! Not having shop space is what delayed my project for two decades. Building two storage sheds helped banish the "unwanted crap" from the garage, but space and organization is still a daily struggle. At this very moment, I'm sitting on my couch using a 914 door as a foot stool because I don't have any other place to put it. Despite that, I'm making good progress, and I know you will too. Oddly though, my constant cussing about the shop situation makes any problems with the project itself seem manageable. Good luck with your challenge!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 6 2018, 12:18 AM
Post #88

914 Guru

Got the motor on the stand today. Flipped it over to pull the oil pan & remove the Small car motor mount. then pulled it back off the stand. Just waiting on my dang pressure plate bolts to arrive. Then I can finish the clutch & mate the transmission back up to the motor. Then onto my cradle & up in the car it goes. Really just to have it in place & test fitment everywhere. Still have a bunch to figure on the turbo, exhaust & intercooler setup. Can have a better idea of layout once I have it back in. Seriously only 30 min of screwing around with it today but just feels good to have my 914 as a focus again. I've got to get it back on the road. Was a nice day out today that would have been kick ass if I had my 914 running. I would have went for a nice afternoon shakedown run
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 6 2018, 11:53 AM
Post #89

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 5 2018, 10:18 PM) *

Got the motor on the stand today. Flipped it over to pull the oil pan & remove the Small car motor mount. then pulled it back off the stand. Just waiting on my dang pressure plate bolts to arrive. Then I can finish the clutch & mate the transmission back up to the motor. Then onto my cradle & up in the car it goes. Really just to have it in place & test fitment everywhere. Still have a bunch to figure on the turbo, exhaust & intercooler setup. Can have a better idea of layout once I have it back in. Seriously only 30 min of screwing around with it today but just feels good to have my 914 as a focus again. I've got to get it back on the road. Was a nice day out today that would have been kick ass if I had my 914 running. I would have went for a nice afternoon shakedown run

We'll, your certainly back "in the groove". Shouldn't be too long now. Stay after it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Feb 7 2018, 12:49 AM
Post #90

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

Jamie, question- are you still going with the stinger computer? What computer are you running now on your 2.5L that was in your car?

I'm doing a 2.5L conversion on an off-road car and looking for a cheap and easy computer solution.

+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 7 2018, 12:17 PM
Post #91

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Jamie, why not post a WTB add for the pieces you need. I love to fabricate stuff, and use my :welder:sometimes it is better to pay less and get a good start on a project.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 7 2018, 06:39 PM
Post #92

914 Guru

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 6 2018, 10:49 PM) *

Jamie, question- are you still going with the stinger computer? What computer are you running now on your 2.5L that was in your car?

I'm doing a 2.5L conversion on an off-road car and looking for a cheap and easy computer solution.

Yes a Stinger ECU from out front on both counts. Also their custom wiring harness for it. I would say it is easy but it sure isn't cheap. Stinger ECU will run around $1400 I believe. Wiring harness another $5-600. So your into it 2k for your ECU & wiring. Probably only triple what you paid for your actual motor. Cheap & easy your better off pulling the complete wiring harness. Then using the stock ECU. All the documentation is online about how to cut down the harness to make it stand alone. You can also just send off the wiring harness to have someone else do it. Then again that also isn't cheap.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 7 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #93

914 Guru

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 7 2018, 10:17 AM) *

Jamie, why not post a WTB add for the pieces you need. I love to fabricate stuff, and use my :welder:sometimes it is better to pay less and get a good start on a project.

Not a bad idea but I have no idea at this point. Once it is up in place I could get more dimension. Would be best off with a local guy who can do it with my car there. At least for all the piping. My wrench has a great fabricator next door to his shop. Once I have everything close. I'll be taking it to him to make sure I didn't screw anything up. As well as facing the Exhaust & intercooler piping. I actually have a bunch of stuff for the intercooler & could probably make it work. I also plan to get a smaller battery & shrink my mount a bit. Where I have it on the firewall it just catches my turbo header on install. Going to run that Lithiom Miata battery which will let me cut 2" off my current mount. Which will make it all fit just nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 8 2018, 09:58 AM
Post #94

More pic's. pls. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
hockeymutt
post Feb 8 2018, 10:35 AM
Post #95

Member No.: 9,388

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 5 2018, 10:18 PM) *

i'm about to be in the same boat. Completing the same swap you are. I'll be doing something similar to DB's setup for the intercooler. small car makes a header that works with their mount for the turbo engine its $400 not cheap but will prob be really helpful. i really do not want to relocate the turbo so i MIGHT just cut a hole in the rear trunk. Save me a ton of time and money in trying to source oil lines and the cooling lines. My biggest fear is also blowing a turbo return line. A buddy at work says he's got it figured out and not to worry, I'm just waiting for it to warm up so i can get this thing "finished". My 15k btu heater only heats up the garage so much. I almost wish i went with the suby 6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) would have saved me a ton of fab work.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 10 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #96

914 Guru

Well I had some progress today. I also had a setback.

I got my clutch all done & installed. Mated my tranny back to my motor. Installed my zero decipals cable shift setup (with looks great). Didn't hook up to my shifter yet. Installed my cradle to the motor. Then using a combo of my mid rise scissor lift & my hydraulic table. I put it up into place in my car.

Which is where my problem is. My tranny ears don't line up & mount. Both my cradle & tranny ears are from Coldwater. Well I think they are. The tranny ears I got from my friend Brent. He was using a firewall mount. Talked to Ian & he is sending me another set of tranny ears to check. Basically my drivetrain is sitting 2 1/2 to 3" closer to the firewall than it should be. MY previous cut out in my rear trunk for my clutch arm definitely doesn't match where it was with my last motor. Also my motor isn't sitting level. My transmission needs to go up or my motor need to drop some to make it level. Either way I need to figure out how I am going to move my drivetrain back. Guess LineXing my cradle wasn't such a great idea without test fitting it first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 10 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hmmm...that's weird. Can you post some pics of where they line up (or don't line up) with the trans mounting points on the car? You sure you have the trans hangers on correctly? Should look like this:

Attached Image

Take a look at this thread, starting at post 266:

Orange car

Has some helpful pics. Same engine, same cradle.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 10 2018, 10:04 PM
Post #98

914 Guru

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 10 2018, 07:36 PM) *

Hmmm...that's weird. Can you post some pics of where they line up (or don't line up) with the trans mounting points on the car? You sure you have the trans hangers on correctly? Should look like this:

Attached Image

Take a look at this thread, starting at post 266:

Orange car

Has some helpful pics. Same engine, same cradle.

It is helpful. I am sure my tranny hangar's were either modified or weren't actually cold water's. Your picture shows about where it is sitting. So I think the cradle is right. What really threw me. It is just set farther forward than my last setup. I think that threw me more than the hangar's being off. I'll have the right hangar's later this week
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 11 2018, 09:23 AM
Post #99

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes the engine sits farther forward with the cradle setup, but yours looks like it's in the right spot. The Subaru trans is longer. Once you get the right hangers you'll be good to go.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 11 2018, 07:55 PM
Post #100

914 Guru

I heard from Brent & he made those tranny hangars. Not sure where I got the idea they were from Ian. Anyway minor technicality. I'll have the right hangars by the weekend. Also ordering my shift cables to.orrow from a place in CA. They were fast last time I ordered & reasonable. I do need the clevis joint for the clutch pedal to MC. Also getting a new MC conversion plate from Ross for the Honda MC. I have a wildwood MC & conversion plate for it. Think I will throw it in the classifieds once I am done. Overall I feel a little better about my progress yesterday.

I still may need to modify my header as my turbo is right up at the firewall. Also throws off my battery mount which was on the firewall right behind the passenger seat down low. My header hit it just barely when I text for it before. Now it is a good 3" closer than my test. Am going to buy the early Miata Deca battery & hope that is small enough I can cut dowm my mount & have it fit.
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 05:13 PM