Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finally Got Back To The Track!, Chuckwalla Raceway PCA TT
Alphaogre
post Feb 1 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,487
Region Association: Southern California

Had a pretty good weekend out at chuckwalla this past weekend. Since I got that pop-up camper, we were able to camp at the track. The second day I had a wheel barring go out, nothing like going from the straight into turn 1 with a break peddle going to the floor due to the hub not being able to grab!

So, Sunday ended early but with six 20 min run times and one on Sunday, I was able to get an hour and forty min of time on the track! It's amazing how much practice you can get in with these PCA events.

This weekend was the final sign off for my solo permit for all PCA time trial and track events. It was good to have the instructor because with all the improvements I made to the 914 since the last track time, I was really surprised how much harder I was able to push and balance the car.

The car was set up with the following:
•Short stroke 2.0L w/ Cam, dual webbers, board heads, 98mm higher compression pistons.
•Front adjustable Swaybar, Rear adjustable coil-over bilstein HD shocks.
Fiberglass bumpers front and back (50lbs weight savings on both ends)
•205/50-R15 Yokohama Advan 200TW tires.

First, the fail... I spun going through turn 1 on Saturday, I got distracted by the GT3's line for a split second. I flinched my foot on the throttle through the section of the corner where I catch the car scrubbing on the track out... in car of the spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXAGFXo-N1U

This video is the end of Saturday on the final Run time before the track went cold, so it was pretty much an empty track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-DaFiX-Zyg

my buddy who came out to watch snapped some pics from the weekend.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Talking over how hard I'm flogging this poor thing but it just keeps giving! Huge thanks to MRD in vista for the motor build and help with the car everytime I need it. Mike has these 914's down!
Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Feb 1 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #2

Talking lines and post run overview with my instructor, his car is the green car, 73 911 with built 3.8L wide body and full areo... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Feb 1 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Nice post....my first DE event I spun on the first session....can still hear my instructor saying over the intercom...."Why'd ya lift?"

From a quick glance at the photos, you might consider lowering your suspension by 1/2 inch, maybe more....enjoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Feb 1 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Feb 1 2017, 06:23 PM) *

Nice post....my first DE event I spun on the first session....can still hear my instructor saying over the intercom...."Why'd ya lift?"

From a quick glance at the photos, you might consider lowering your suspension by 1/2 inch, maybe more....enjoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Yea, a split second distraction made my foot flinch just enough haha
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 2 2017, 09:57 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Good job...everyone driving a little hard spins, ultimately. Your instructor's car looks to be a hot ride...your cars ride height doesn't look overtly high to me but lowering does help a bit - especially the rear.

PS: The secret to not being distracted by "passing GT3's"...is for you to be passing them! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

T
+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 2 2017, 11:43 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Thanks for posting all the pictures and video. Man, that track is a trip for sure, but looks to be fun. I guess in the general state of things, it's not that far as we think nothing of going to Thunderhill (3 hours) or Buttonwillow (4+ hours). Of course Sears and Laguna are both like 1.5 hours.

Have you considered lowering the car a bit? Looks high in the pictures.

Lowering is the cheapest performance change and it does make a difference.

+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Feb 2 2017, 06:43 PM
Post #7

The car is still a street car, so the height is still set to make it usable and not a pain when I drive around town. It's a give and take... now that I went down to a shorter sidewall tire I think can go down a little more without clearance issues.

I obviously take a different line since I am trying to carry more speed in the low HP car, not getting distracted by other lines was something I was really trying to work on, especially since I can catch or keep up through the corners (as long as I drive MY line).
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 3 2017, 11:04 AM
Post #8

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Very cool - Please consider coming out with POC and/or VARA as we need more 914s out there. I may be well outnumbered, but at least I think we do!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 3 2017, 12:31 PM
Post #9

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Great first run!

That is quite the HP course for sure.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Feb 4 2017, 12:10 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Very cool my brother! Live the dream!
+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Feb 9 2017, 04:49 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 3 2017, 09:04 AM) *

Very cool - Please consider coming out with POC and/or VARA as we need more 914s out there. I may be well outnumbered, but at least I think we do!

You mean come out and make your epic "R version" look even better out there? haha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) I'll definitely look into some of the POC events I have heard they put on a great program, VARA is an entire new larger slippery slope down the rabbit hole hahaha
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 10 2017, 03:14 PM
Post #12

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Feb 9 2017, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 3 2017, 09:04 AM) *

You mean come out and make your epic "R version" look even better out there? haha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) I'll definitely look into some of the POC events I have heard they put on a great program, VARA is an entire new larger slippery slope down the rabbit hole hahaha

In all seriousness, I bet you'd have a great time and learn a lot with POC. For sure a lot of the guys are hardcore but there is a laser focus on Track Driving skills development, safety and fun that you do not see in many other clubs.

I'm aiming to be at Willow Springs on Sunday (2/12) but unsure I will make it.
+Quote Post
michealangelo
post Apr 29 2017, 01:52 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 21,054
Region Association: Africa

Did the GT 66 just raced with yhu running backwards?....thats wicked mehn lol.
Anyways i bet yhu had real fun.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:18 AM