Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Air/Fuel ratio, is there a quick answer?
malcolm2
post Feb 5 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

OK, I have been tinkering with the new-to-me AFM on my 1911cc engine all weekend. I have adjusted the spring about 20 teeth CCW to get to this point.

I have been using an A/F sensor and gauge. can someone tell me, or direct me to a chart/table of what A/F I should be shooting for on my daily driver.

The last adjustment of the CO screw has left me here:

I have always had a strange idle situation, so lets ignore that for now. any normal adjustments to reduce the idle at normal operating temp eventually stall the car. A problem for another post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

the idle is high.... at 1200 the A/F is a smooth 12.2.

I found a long hill and drove up it at about 3800 rpm and the A/F was 12.5.

thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 5 2017, 06:09 PM
Post #2

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Got this from one of Chris Foley's posts

in A:F ratio, you want to see:

13.5-12.9 on the gauge while accelerating or climbing,

12.8-12.5 at WOT,

and 16-17 while cruising, going downhill or decelerating.

Right now I am in those ranges with FI. A little richer on WOT as I can get to 11.5 at times. But seems to run well in these ranges.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Feb 5 2017, 06:34 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Great. I get to drive to work tomorrow (no rain). So I will do some documenting. Thanks.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 5 2017, 07:37 PM
Post #4

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

My experience ( before and after the top end rebuild and new TB) is 12-13 idling in the am; constant cruising speed 14-15.5; up hills it richens a bit.
I used the innovative as the AFR for 3 years; just removed it though.
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Feb 5 2017, 10:22 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 805

Agree with the ranges in Jim's posts for varying load conditions.
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Feb 5 2017, 10:34 PM
Post #6

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Getting idle and AFR can be a challenge. As the engine warms up, things expand, adjustments can change, seals seal better. In tuning the ITB's on my car, I find that it liked around 12:5 or less at idle. If you open the throttles slowly, the afr would take a dive just as the throttle plates opened, and came back to a more expected level just after that. Listen to your engine, give it what it wants. The guidelines are just that- expected guidelines. Let the motor tell you what it wants to run best, and do that.
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Feb 6 2017, 12:10 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Peak power is made around 13.5:1, idle is usually smooth at that level as well. You can run leaner at cruise for fuel economy especially if you have load sensing for timing advance (vacuum advance or programmable system). You can get as lean as 15s if you can advance timing enough, but be sure your system will retard and richen as soon as you put a load on it or detonation and eventual damage will occur.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 6 2017, 12:40 AM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I don't like to see much higher than 13:1 in an iron cylinder engine, my nickies engine I can easily run 14:1 no problem.
I can really see the performance degrade as the temps go up in a iron cylinder engine if you run much over 13:1, the nickies equipped engines doesn't suffer from this issue.

Deceleration it doesn't matter...no load.
I have a fuel cut below a certain TPS setting so on decel my meter goes off the scale.
Fuel cut stops popping and/or backfiring on decel on wild cam engines.

plays with cars I'll have to say you are wrong, those number might be fine on a watercooled car, but aircooled always needs to be a bit on the rich side.
Trying for those numbers on an aircooled and you will hole a piston.

Big issue on a performance, wild cam, ITB Type 4 is your vacuum signal will be total shit. This gives the MAP sensor a horrid signal that peeps chase forever, often blaming the FI system.
I run TPS/O2 only program on my T4 2600cc engine, zero issues, runs on par with a modern FI car.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Feb 6 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Aircooled engines may need to run slightly more rich than the water coolers
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Feb 6 2017, 10:45 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 19,948

When in doubt, do the spark plug color test.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 6 2017, 12:31 PM
Post #11

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Feb 6 2017, 11:45 AM) *

I still do this time to time as a control, but a proper working O2 wideband meter will be spot on.

I tune both FI and carbs with a wideband, they're so cheap now anyone who tunes their own engine should have one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Feb 6 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Doing final tune on my Zeniths,dropping idles down a touch as well as mains,I always run a little fat on the jets with any aircooled engine.
I don't really trust plug colour to much with the modern fuel.
Mark what is the best performing/value AFR kit to use?,would like to install one,the 911 engine is a hungry beast on carbs would like to get that the best I can.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Feb 6 2017, 03:04 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Help me out with WOT. I played with that a little at lunch today.

How do you test that? I was running in third gear about 45 mph. I floored the pedal. The car picked up speed and the gauge dropped to 10-ish and the car accelerated.

I only held the pedal down for about 15 seconds. Was not sure I was doing it right.

How and how long?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 6 2017, 05:13 PM
Post #14

that's what I do!

QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 6 2017, 03:12 PM) *

Mark what is the best performing/value AFR kit to use?,would like to install one,the 911 engine is a hungry beast on carbs would like to get that the best I can.

You want one with the biggest LED numbers, a tiny dial or numbers are hard to read on the fly.

I'm not sure what's best now, my O2 WB is a WMS that I bought 10+ years ago and has been solid as a rock. They stopped making them because they couldn't compete against the cheap china made units, it cost $500 back then. It's small but has 1.25 tall LED numbers.

I've heard good things about the PLX and if you're a techie they have a bluetooth for your phone or tab. Like my WMS it has datalogging, but with the bluetooth option you can do this right on your phone.
But there's also a real cheap one on evilbay for $135

Beware of the $80 Inovate "deal" on evil bay, it doesn't have the lambda sensor... the most expensive part.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Feb 6 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154

I think it would be a cool gauge to have. Would it be better to have it as part of the car or a tool in your toolbox?
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Feb 6 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 7 2017, 12:13 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 6 2017, 03:12 PM) *

You want one with the biggest LED numbers, a tiny dial or numbers are hard to read on the fly.

I'm not sure what's best now, my O2 WB is a WMS that I bought 10+ years ago and has been solid as a rock. They stopped making them because they couldn't compete against the cheap china made units, it cost $500 back then. It's small but has 1.25 tall LED numbers.

I've heard good things about the PLX and if you're a techie they have a bluetooth for your phone or tab. Like my WMS it has datalogging, but with the bluetooth option you can do this right on your phone.
But there's also a real cheap one on evilbay for $135

Beware of the $80 Inovate "deal" on evil bay, it doesn't have the lambda sensor... the most expensive part.

Thanks have somewhere to go now, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 6 2017, 11:06 PM
Post #17

that's what I do!

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 6 2017, 08:05 PM) *

I think it would be a cool gauge to have. Would it be better to have it as part of the car or a tool in your toolbox?

Yes I do this all the time BUT for some odd reason the lambda doesn't like to be removed and reinstalled many times. After it has been in several cars they tend to fail. They also seize in place, but using an anti seize paste they often don't ground properly.
Believe me at $80-$100 a pop I'm damn careful removing and installing them, but they still fail.
Leave it alone and they will last 100K+ miles. If it's dedicated to the one car leave it installed on the car.
Aftermarket FI you have to have a O2 sensor for the computer.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Feb 7 2017, 05:21 AM
Post #18

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

It's a great tool to have, especially if you're going to start messing with the AFM. I picked up an Innovate, from eBay, almost 4 years ago. Works fine. My car runs well, but cold start up requires a foot on the throttle for 30-60 seconds, depending on temp.

Hope to get it on a lift within a month for a good valve adjustment and some push rod tube seal replacement... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 7 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #19

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Feb 6 2017, 01:10 AM) *
Peak power is made around 13.5:1, ....
That's theoretically ideal. But if you want to drive your car in the real world, you need to forget about theoretical. Or at least pay more attention to what the engine is telling you. No dyno-graph in the history of cars had peak power at 13.5:1. Ever.

I've heard reading spark plugs was more accurate on older fuels. Supposedly new fuels don't indicate as well on the spark plug. I don't have any real world experience to share in this department though. I look at them, I 'read' them, but I don't trust it much.

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 6 2017, 04:04 PM) *

How do you test that? I was running in third gear about 45 mph. I floored the pedal. The car picked up speed and the gauge dropped to 10-ish and the car accelerated.

I only held the pedal down for about 15 seconds. Was not sure I was doing it right.

How and how long?
You want to hold WOT and see how things respond. So it's one of those annoying answers -- hold it long enough to learn what you need to know. 15s should tell you all you need to know though. You want to see AFR go rich as soon as you hit the gas and stay rich while at WOT. You want something in the neighborhood of 12:1. 15-16 at cruise will give you great fuel economy, but may be a little lean in my experience.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 7 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #20

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 7 2017, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Feb 6 2017, 01:10 AM) *
Peak power is made around 13.5:1, ....
That's theoretically ideal. But if you want to drive your car in the real world, you need to forget about theoretical. Or at least pay more attention to what the engine is telling you. No dyno-graph in the history of cars had peak power at 13.5:1. Ever.

I've heard reading spark plugs was more accurate on older fuels. Supposedly new fuels don't indicate as well on the spark plug. I don't have any real world experience to share in this department though. I look at them, I 'read' them, but I don't trust it much.

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 6 2017, 04:04 PM) *

How and how long?
You want to hold WOT and see how things respond. So it's one of those annoying answers -- hold it long enough to learn what you need to know. 15s should tell you all you need to know though. You want to see AFR go rich as soon as you hit the gas and stay rich while at WOT. You want something in the neighborhood of 12:1. 15-16 at cruise will give you great fuel economy, but may be a little lean in my experience.

Reading spark plugs became outdated with unleaded fuels. Mark, you never really lived with leaded fuel so... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:01 AM