Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Troubleshooting my electrical issues., My first problem was blinking red light on the dash for brakes
Dave_Darling
post Feb 13 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #21

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The door-ajar buzzer does not sound like clicking. It really is a buzzer--in my car, a really pathetic buzzing sound, but still buzzing.

The brake warning light circuit will blink when one of the brown/yellow wires attached to the light gets grounded. That provides the ground path for the light, and for the flasher relay, which will start clicking.

There should be two brown/yellow wires attached to the light, one going to the button under the hand-brake handle (see photos upthread) and one to the switch in the master cylinder. The handbrake button grounds the wire going to it when the button is NOT pressed. So if someone dismounted the button and it is flopping around somewhere, that will cause the light to flash.

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 13 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,380
Region Association: Southwest Region

New relay will be delivered on Wednesday.
switch for handbrake will be delivered tomorrow. I don't know exactly where to mount it but I'm just going to connect the wire and hold it against the floor and see if that impacts the light (once I get the new relay).
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 14 2017, 12:16 PM
Post #23

I just wanted to add some more information on what happened when the relay fried:

First of all, there are 2 red lights at the top of the gauge. The one that has been flashing is the one on the right (1o'clock position). See the video for the refresher.

There is also a bulb on the left side (11 o'clock). There was no bulb in that fixture, but a few wires that connect to it.

I pulled the bulb on the right and powered up the car. There was no flashing (obviously), but the relay did click. Not at the same rate (turn signal rate), but a lot faster. Almost (but not quite) constant.

I pulled the gauge panel back out and saw that one of the wires on the left gauge has broken. I touched it to the broken connector and the fast flashing stopped, but I also blew a fuse.

Replaced fuse and tried again, this time the relay fried.

New relay coming in today or tomorrow along with switch to mount on floor by handbrake. I plan to mount the switch, connect all the wires and insert bulbs, replace fuse and see what happens.

If still flashes, will pull bulb and see what happens.
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 14 2017, 03:50 PM
Post #24

Well now I'm really baffled. I replaced the relay, I reconnected the broken wires, put the bulb back in and now the flasher relay doesn't work at all. The turn signal comes on, but no flashing.

Fuses are good. I hate electrical problems.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Feb 14 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

Man...ya get bonus points.

Keep at it.

Have you "rung" out every wire for continuity and then checked the ground points.

Also...how bout the wiring?

For years my windshield wipers didn.t work correctly. Turned out after I replaced the fresh air fan some DAPO had scabbed on a connector to the switch and shorted one of the hot leads behind the cowl.

Hang in there check the wiring diagram and physicaly check every wire if you can get to it.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 15 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #26

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(vin man @ Feb 13 2017, 08:45 PM) *

Where did you get the flasher relay? I don't see it on Pelican.

Can you put the old one back in to see if it works?

Hopefully you didn't button up the fuse panel after installing the new flasher.

Flasher EP26 can be purchased at many FLAPS and is LED-compatible if you decide to go that way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 15 2017, 12:32 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 15 2017, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(vin man @ Feb 13 2017, 08:45 PM) *

Where did you get the flasher relay? I don't see it on Pelican.

Can you put the old one back in to see if it works?

Hopefully you didn't button up the fuse panel after installing the new flasher.

Flasher EP26 can be purchased at many FLAPS and is LED-compatible if you decide to go that way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I got it from Parts Authority. They usually have the parts I need for my VW or Porsche projects.

Autozone also has one. This is the one from Autozone: Autozone Flasher Relay

The one from Parts Authority has same pins and numbering, but the plastic housing looks a little different.

Parts Authority counter man is also pretty knowledgeable. He said I could use the 3 pin relay and jumper the missing pin location (showed me what to do) if I wanted to use $4 relay instead of $15. I went with the 4 pin to be safe.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 15 2017, 02:50 PM
Post #28

Jerry

QUOTE(vin man @ Feb 15 2017, 01:32 PM) *

Did you try re-installing your original flasher. Quite honestly the flasher does very little besides flash when you put the turnsignals on. If your original flasher flashes the exterior bulbs ok, there is nothing wrong with the flasher. Likely you have some wiring issue external to the flasher.

The link above takes me to partsgeek.

Autozone doesn't list a flasher or hazard relay for the 914 although it has some other interesting items for the 914.

I was wondering why my 914 is so slow. Maybe I need a new Nitrous Controller. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 15 2017, 03:00 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 15 2017, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(vin man @ Feb 15 2017, 01:32 PM) *

Did you try re-installing your original flasher. Quite honestly the flasher does very little besides flash when you put the turnsignals on. If your original flasher flashes the exterior bulbs ok, there is nothing wrong with the flasher. Likely you have some wiring issue external to the flasher.

The link above takes me to partsgeek.

Autozone doesn't list a flasher or hazard relay for the 914 although it has some other interesting items for the 914.

I was wondering why my 914 is so slow. Maybe I need a new Nitrous Controller. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

The autozone part is the exact one from Parts Geek - the URO brand. They crossed that number and got me the same part.

Nothing blinks. When I turn on the left turn signal, the light comes on and stays on - does not flash/blink.

Smoke came out of the original relay. I did retry it - no good.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 15 2017, 04:05 PM
Post #30

Jerry

What is the part number on that blinker. Not the partsgeek/autozone number but the part number on the flasher or packaging?

Pep Boys, O'Reilly, Autozone, Advance Auto, Rock Auto, etc., have EP26 on their websites and may have it in local stores. I've found them at some of my FLAPS. Pick up an EP26 and see if it works in your car.

Pep Boys EP26
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 15 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #31

A few pics.

The first is the original relay that smoked. Part number on the relay is TBB264DB 002479-01

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i304.photobucket.com-11380-1487212504.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i304.photobucket.com-11380-1487212504.2.jpg)

The next relay is the one from Autozone. p/n 91461830311E

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i304.photobucket.com-11380-1487212505.3.jpg)

Finally the one from BAP/Parts Authority. DNI 0831/41
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i304.photobucket.com-11380-1487212505.4.jpg)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 15 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #32

914 Idiot

URO... Not exactly the highest quality.

I believe that the original flasher relay has multiple contacts in it, one to run the external lights and one to run the indicator in the tach.

Different years may have used different flashers, though. I don't really remember.

--DD
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 16 2017, 08:35 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 15 2017, 09:23 PM) *

URO... Not exactly the highest quality.

I believe that the original flasher relay has multiple contacts in it, one to run the external lights and one to run the indicator in the tach.

Different years may have used different flashers, though. I don't really remember.

--DD

I returned the URO POS.
No progress last night. I'm going to start looking for professional electrical person to tackle this. Either that or replace the whole harness.

Edit:
What I accomplished last night.
#1 - Realized the URO relay was junk. fell apart first time I installed it than pulled it out of the socket. Returned to Autozone.

#2. Put everything back the way it was including the old relay. When I turn key on, the orig relay would click superfast. blinkers did not work.

#3- tried the BAP (DNI brand) relay. Blue the fuse.

I'm really electrically challenged and super frustrated. I followed all wires and did not see any that were melted/fried. The fuse that blows is position 8 in my fuse block. When I look at the wiring diagram for a 72, the colors of the wires on both sides of position 8 in my car actually match what is show in postion 9 in the diagram. on 1 side, 2 black wires. On the other side, 1 black/yellow wire and 2 red with white wires. Not sure why they are in different position but I would suspect it doesn't matter as long as both sides of the fuse are the proper wires.

When I follow the diagram, wires go to the headlight switch and/or hazard switch as well as the relay board. Headlight switch is not a auto parts store part which means time and money to replace. I haven't looked for hazard switch yet and don't even know if either switch is bad.

If there is anyone that is in the Phoenix area and loves electrical troubleshooting, I'm happy to give them a challenge and pay for their time.
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 16 2017, 10:18 AM
Post #34

Anyone have a recommendation for a person/company that can troubleshoot automotive electrical? I want to get this issue resolved and honestly don't want to keep trial and error day over day. Need to have someone that knows this stuff diagnose and fix and be done.

-Frustrated Vinny
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Feb 16 2017, 05:45 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hmm. I've got a similar problem with the indicator light not working, and ordered a new relay. It arrived as a Wehrle #914-618-303-11/206. It looks the same as what it is replacing. None of the numbers match anything mentioned so far. I have a '74 2.0 and I know earlier models had a different relay but I'm not sure of the changes in circuitry. Hopefully, this one will work and the earlier '72 models are different. Is my assumption correct?
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 16 2017, 11:03 PM
Post #36

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Got it working!

An electrical genius I know was able to come tonight and spent about 4.5 hours tracking it down. He knew it was going to be something stupid, but not sure what.

He came to realization that it was ground related pretty early on. Then just started tracking circuits.

To avoid blowing fuses, he took an 1156 light socket and bulb and ran that between the to ends of the fuse. This way, we would have power, but not enough to do any damage.

Turns out that one of the light sockets had shorted out. I have removed the light socket for both the flashing brake light and, I believe, the flashing seat belt light.

With the new relay, I've now got working turn signals!

My hazard light switch appears to be damaged so I'll have to source a new one of those, but it doesn't affect my ability to drive the car. I've also got to replace my high beam/low beam relay as it is sticking.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. I was wiped out and left the workshop a mess and the car in pieces. But happy!
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 19 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #37

Problem #3

Premature celebration. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

On Friday night I put everything back together. Over the very rainy weekend, I have been trying to get the car ready to the point I can drive it to a car show on Tuesday. Little things like door handles, window cranks, window regulator, windshield trim...

Today, I got door panels back on and wanted to take for a quick drive. Battery dead.

I put charger on the battery and tail lights immediately came on. I got in the car and pressed brake pedal - couple lights on dash came on and electric fuel pump started running. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Only electrical thing I've done is replace the headlamp relay. The original 4 pin was sticking and I got a 5 pin replacement. Followed the instructions from another thread to ensure I wired it properly. Don't believe it is the relay. Maybe I bumped something else when putting everything back.

All fuses are good. I need to track down my electrical genius again....
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 21 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #38

Update:

I was concerned that maybe I did not wire up the new relay for headlights correctly. Rechecked and is correct.

I didn't realize this at first, but it isn't just the tail lights that are on, but also the headlights. I didn't notice before because they are retracted, but they are powered up when I have the battery connected to the car (even without the key in the ignition).

I tried removing the relay all together, and the head light and tail lights are still on all the time.

I started checking the ground locations. I found one at each headlight, and one close to the relay board. They all look good and no broken wires.

Now I'm wondering if maybe the headlight switch has gone bad? How would I test that theory?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 21 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #39

914 Idiot

Unplug the switch?

--DD
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 22 2017, 04:21 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 21 2017, 09:55 PM) *

Unplug the switch?

--DD

Will give it a try tonight. I don't think the headlights would work at all without the switch so I'm sure that will cause them to go out. The question is more of "how do I know if the switch is broken?"
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:58 PM