Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Troubleshooting my electrical issues., My first problem was blinking red light on the dash for brakes
914_teener
post Feb 22 2017, 04:56 PM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

You rule each thing out.

You test input and out put voltage first with a meter.

You will need a wiring diagram and an analogue or digital voltmeter.

Then you test the wiring output.

Then you test the device.

It is a process of elimination....like a logic diagram or test.

To answer your question directly:

By testing it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 24 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 11,380
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ruled out headlight switch and brake light switch.

Going to pull the gauge cluster back out tomorrow and see if something there is shorting out.
+Quote Post
vin man
post Feb 28 2017, 03:37 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 11,380
Region Association: Southwest Region

ok, issues 3 (and 4) resolved.

After resolving Issue 2 - the flashing brake light, I did 2 things. I replaced the headlight relay and then put everything back together and reinstalled the upholstery.

I had replaced the original 4 post headlight relay with a 5 post relay. Headlight relay post
I had found some info on the Samba website that said that I should just run a hot wire to post 30, and therefore not have to run a jumper between 30 and 56. This was not the case. A JUMPER was REQUIRED. I removed the constant power to 30, put the jumper in place, and the headlights were no longer always powered regardless of the key position.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-11380-1487356047.1.jpg)

Issue number 3 was that my brake lights were always on and, when I depressed brake pedal, I was also getting some lights on the dash and power to the coil.

I caused this problem when reinstalling the interior. I had screwed the plastic housing that holds the armrest through the floor. When I did so, I went right through the main power wire, nicked the brake light wire, and possibly exposed a couple others as well.

I did a lot of troubleshooting and have a much better appreciation of the electrical system and also much more comfortable reading those wiring diagrams. Really helped a lot to blow it up to 3 foot by 4 foot and stick to the wall as me and a buddy worked through the circuits.

Car is all back and buttoned up. Drove it today and very pleased!
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Mar 1 2017, 09:24 AM
Post #44

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

There are 2 diodes behind the combo gauge, the brake light uses 2 separate circuits, the diodes prevent the current flowing in the wrong direction.
This is according to the factory wiring diagrams.
I have the same problem, just pull the wires to the switch on the master cylinder, tape them up, flashing stops but brake warning light will not light as the pedal goes to the floor, the light will not help in that situation, as you already know the pedal is going to the floor!
PS: get a 911 flasher, ground the common from the flasher and watch your individual turn signal indicators flash on the gauge in the direction you are turning.
Mike
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:54 AM