Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spark Plug Question, Colder plug..............?
Lab Rat
post May 2 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,018

I have a modified 1.7 in my '73. Running 96mm Mahle pistons, mild Webcam / lifters, stock D-Jet FI and Pertronix Ignitor. I'm running in a PCA Dr. Ed. event this Sat. at Road America, and am concerned about heat generation. Currently I'm using Bosch Super PO 282 (W7CC) plugs. I bought a set of Bosch Super RO 488 (W6DC) plugs, being advised that they are a colder plug. One concern is that they "reach" almost 1/4 inch longer than what I've been using.
Will they hit the piston tops?
Are they actually a colder plug?
I've had a heat problem in the past. Timing is set at 29 degrees advance. Fuel mixture setting at "two clicks" from richest setting. Any help/advice is appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post May 2 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #2

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

A bosch 6 series is colder than a Bosch 7 series.

i assume if all you wanted to change was plug heat range you would have supplemented your w7CC with W6CC....
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 2 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

A D series plug has an extended reach, something not in the plan for a 914, although they probably won't hit the pistons. You might be better off with a W6CC. 6 is colder than 7 in the Bosch numbering system. It does NOT mean the engine will run cooler; it simply means the transfer of heat away from the tip is more efficient. The knob you think sets the mixture only sets it for idle. Once the throttle is cracked, that circuit becomes meaningless. You can bump the fuel pressure a couple of pounds before it messes up the spray pattern, so it won't get you much. D-jet doesn't much like any cams other than stock, so your idle suffers, hydrocarbons go up and driveability suffers. Increasing the bore has raised your compression. Increased compression means more heat. Probably a lot more. I don't know if you condidered this when you built the engine, or whether you took steps to correct the compression, but it's a BIG factor, one that changing plugs doesn't even begin to address. The Cap'n
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:19 PM