Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just your basic oil and filter change, please., And no thanks, I'm past the days of doing it myself.
914Next
post Feb 21 2017, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So I don't put that many miles on my '73 but do change the oil once per year. I'm beyond the days of doing it myself. Just not worth the hassle of the mess and disposing of the oil.

I do have a very trusted independent service garage where I take my car for all service work. But it takes a bit more effort to make an appointment and drive the car out there since it is 12 miles away. And I'm not sure they even really want to mess with a simple oil d and filter change. Would be much easier to just zip down to a trusted oil change place and do it there. Am I making a mistake taking it to an oil change place and risking that they mess something up?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Feb 21 2017, 10:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

There's no way I'd let one of those places touch my VWs or 914.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 21 2017, 10:28 AM
Post #3

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I won't even let them touch my DD. You have such a perfect survivor, I'd be foolish to take a risk IMHO.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Feb 21 2017, 10:46 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 21 2017, 11:28 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I won't even let them touch my DD. You have such a perfect survivor, I'd be foolish to take a risk IMHO.

Yeah I guess I knew that was the feedback I'd be receiving. And that's why I've hesitated doing it. Just thought MAYBE I was being overly cautious. Thanks for setting me straight. I'll call my reliable indy guy who knows my car.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 21 2017, 10:53 AM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914Next @ Feb 21 2017, 08:46 AM) *

Yeah I guess I knew that was the feedback I'd be receiving. And that's why I've hesitated doing it. Just thought MAYBE I was being overly cautious. Thanks for setting me straight. I'll call my reliable indy guy who knows my car.

HELL NO Steve - you're being absolutely correct!

None of those idiots at the oil change places could give a flying F about your pristine car!

In fact, I would reinforce on your regular shop to be absolutely careful with it, & take pix before & after leaving it anywhere for service! It's only original once, & any damage touched up after a mishap devalues your car(s).

Alternatively, get one of those flat waste oit tanks + oil & filter plus an extra quart or two of same viscosity oil to just let run through to the waste oil tank to somewhat wash out the old stuff, then get on your crawler & do it yourself with utmost care that only YOU can give the task!

We're about the same age, so I know you can do it if so inclined & motivated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
914Next
post Feb 21 2017, 11:11 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 21 2017, 11:53 AM) *

None of those idiots at the oil change places could give a flying F about your pristine car!

In fact, I would reinforce on your regular shop to be absolutely careful with it, & take pix before & after leaving it anywhere for service! It's only original once, & any damage touched up after a mishap devalues your car(s).

Alternatively, get one of those flat waste oit tanks + oil & filter plus an extra quart or two of same viscosity oil to just let run through to the waste oil tank to somewhat wash out the old stuff, then get on your crawler & do it yourself with utmost care that only YOU can give the task!

We're about the same age, so I know you can do it if so inclined & motivated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom
///////

Thanks Tom. I guess I touched a predictable nerve with this thread. In some strange way I guess I was hoping for the answer I should have known I wouldn't get!

Not into doing it myself. Been there done that. No longer have the garage or time and tired of finding places that will take the used oil.

Called checkpoint auto. They know 914's and 356's inside out, have worked on my car before and appreciate its originality. They will do it on Thursday. Done and done.

Now my next risky move is having someone remove three tiny door dings from the passenger door. Done some research and I think I've found a guy to do that next week. Wish me luck! I think I'll remove the door cards myself for that one.

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 21 2017, 11:12 AM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

More than likely one of the 'fast lube' places would remove the screen cover to drain the oil then tighten it up real good. Breaking the internal boss and sending you home on a tow truck with a permanent leak. Then when you try to collect on the $7k+ motor THEIR employee broke, you will get laughed at.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Feb 21 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 21 2017, 12:12 PM) *

More than likely one of the 'fast lube' places would remove the screen cover to drain the oil then tighten it up real good. Breaking the iternal boss and sending you home on a tow truck with a permanent leak. Then when you try to collect on the $7k+ motor THEIR employee broke, you will get laughed at.

We'll, when you put it that way.....

Thanks!
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Feb 21 2017, 12:17 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

This is really gonna strike a nerve, but I wouldn't even take my car to the dealership at this point. Doubtful you'd ever find a tech who knew their way around an aircooled motor, let alone a 40+ year old variety. Unless of course you are near Woody in California. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Once you find a good independent shop/mechanic, I think that's the way I'd go from then on out. Sounds like you're in a good spot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Feb 21 2017, 12:32 PM
Post #10

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 21 2017, 02:17 PM) *

This is really gonna strike a nerve, but I wouldn't even take my car to the dealership at this point. Doubtful you'd ever find a tech who knew their way around an aircooled motor, let alone a 40+ year old variety. Unless of course you are near Woody in San Antonio. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

FIFY
+Quote Post
Cal
post Feb 21 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914Next @ Feb 21 2017, 12:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 21 2017, 11:53 AM) *

Tom
///////

Thanks Tom. I guess I touched a predictable nerve with this thread. In some strange way I guess I was hoping for the answer I should have known I wouldn't get!

Not into doing it myself. Been there done that. No longer have the garage or time and tired of finding places that will take the used oil.

Called checkpoint auto. They know 914's and 356's inside out, have worked on my car before and appreciate its originality. They will do it on Thursday. Done and done.

Now my next risky move is having someone remove three tiny door dings from the passenger door. Done some research and I think I've found a guy to do that next week. Wish me luck! I think I'll remove the door cards myself for that one.

I agree....don't have anyone work on it unless they're familiar with 914's. It's not worth taking the risk.

I had several small dings removed from my car last year....I removed the door cards myself prior to dropping the car off. The guy that I took it to had several classic cars that he was working on so I felt pretty comfortable having him work on it. It was pretty impressive to watch him them remove dings.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Feb 21 2017, 12:51 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 21 2017, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 21 2017, 02:17 PM) *

This is really gonna strike a nerve, but I wouldn't even take my car to the dealership at this point. Doubtful you'd ever find a tech who knew their way around an aircooled motor, let alone a 40+ year old variety. Unless of course you are near Woody in San Antonio. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

FIFY

Lol, learn something new every day! I thought for sure Woody was in Cali. It's too bad Steve isn't in Connecticut - I know where I'd be taking my car if I lived there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 21 2017, 05:55 PM
Post #13

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

OMG! Heck, I would be as worried about that as going in for brain surgery and seeing a homeless guy standing there with a hacksaw and screw driver ready to do brain surgery. No way I would ever let one of those hacks touch a 914 or any Porsche. For entertainment value one day, walk up and watch them do a couple oil changes.....you will never consider letting them even put air in your tires after that.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 22 2017, 03:03 PM
Post #14

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914Next @ Feb 21 2017, 12:54 PM) *

So I don't put that many miles on my '73 but do change the oil once per year. I'm beyond the days of doing it myself. Just not worth the hassle of the mess and disposing of the oil.

I do have a very trusted independent service garage where I take my car for all service work. But it takes a bit more effort to make an appointment and drive the car out there since it is 12 miles away. And I'm not sure they even really want to mess with a simple oil d and filter change. Would be much easier to just zip down to a trusted oil change place and do it there. Am I making a mistake taking it to an oil change place and risking that they mess something up?

True story, a few years back, I planned on attending a PCA autocross weekend at Marina California. The car, a Boxster, needed an oil change. I was working all week so no time to do it myself. Friday, I took it to Jiffy Lube down the street. I noticed a lot of filling and checking going on, but the tech didn't approach me with questions and didn't state any concerns when they charged me and gave my keys back. I then drove the car to Marina with no problems. Saturday morning, I was in the second group and when it came my turn for my run, I gunned it and let out the clutch. Behind me as I came off the line was the biggest cloud of white smoke I had ever seen.
I left the course and limped it back to the pits, horrified that I had probably blown the engine and spent +- $10K. I opened the back engine lid and discovered oil everywhere. Upon closer inspection, I see the dip stick has been jabbed through the plastic tube going to the block. I instantly guessed what the guy had done. He kept checking it and because he had kinked and tore the plastic tube, it kept coming up dry. Let's just say, he put a shitload of oil in the car. I had to go to a service station in Monterey and have them drain it and refill it.
Bottom line, they don't screw up every oil change but if someone can screw up an oil change, it will be one of the oil change places.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 22 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I am sometimes asked how long I will keep my 914. The answer is, when I can no longer wedge my old ass into it. I will be changing my oil and filter my own self, right up to that day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (Awaiting Kent's comments). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Feb 22 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 22 2017, 07:50 PM) *

I am sometimes asked how long I will keep my 914. The answer is, when I can no longer wedge my old ass into it. I will be changing my oil and filter my own self, right up to that day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (Awaiting Kent's comments). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Besides that, what oil are they putting in it? Are you supplying them?
+Quote Post
mzalanka
post Feb 22 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,300

http://jalopnik.com/lazy-idiots-at-lube-sh...-pan-1748394648
+Quote Post
cary
post Feb 22 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

To add to the info.
One of the other techs at Rothsport had the family's SUV oil changed at a fast lube.
Today he had a new oil pan delivered from NAPA. His oil drain plug was stripped out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
914Next
post Feb 22 2017, 08:50 PM
Post #19

Well, I've clearly gotten my answer guys. Thanks for setting me straight. The funny thing is that I'm obsessively careful with the car but being so busy just started to think delusional thoughts that I could take the quick and easy way on this.

Car goes in tomorrow for proper oil and filter with the experts.

Steve
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Feb 22 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 17,338

You made the right choice. I've built MANY engines that were destroyed by some quick lube place.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:36 AM