Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Real ST/RS Factory Racing Wheel
Mike Fitton
post Feb 21 2017, 04:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thought everyone here would like to see a real Porsche 911 ST/RS and 914-6 GT original factory ordered racing steering wheel. Just acquired this and it still has its original leather wrap 3 5/8" in excellent condition. Racing department used the 914.347.803.10 wheel then padded it with cotton & felt then wrapped in leather to get to the 3 5/8" thickness. Notice no padding was used on the spokes. This wheel is dated 4/70 and they could be ordered through the dealer back in the day without having a race car.

Attached Image Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pete000
post Feb 21 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Wonder what the cost was when it was new ??? Probably $85.00
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 21 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Mike - really cool part. If you ever decide to sell, please let me know. I've always wanted a real one. Thanks, mark

I wish the leather and stitching on these wheels could be duplicated. Unfortunately, the reproductions are not even close to factory.
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Feb 21 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 21 2017, 03:12 PM) *

Mike - really cool part. If you ever decide to sell, please let me know. I've always wanted a real one. Thanks, mark

I wish the leather and stitching on these wheels could be duplicated. Unfortunately, the reproductions are not even close to factory.

Not sure what I am going to do with this wheel, it is coolest part I have ever owned. Forgot to mention one other trait on a real race department wheel, has cross stitching throughout no baseball stitching on the spokes! A couple theories on why they used the 803.10, it was the cheapest 380m wheel available (hard plastic, no leather) and some say it was a little thicker than the 806.10 & 805.10 because it was designed to be used without a leather wrap. I don't have a bare 803.10 to check its thickness.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 21 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 21 2017, 08:33 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 21 2017, 03:12 PM) *

Not sure what I am going to do with this wheel, it is coolest part I have ever owned. Forgot to mention one other trait on a real race department wheel, has cross stitching throughout no baseball stitching on the spokes! A couple theories on why they used the 803.10, it was the cheapest 380m wheel available (hard plastic, no leather) and some say it was a little thicker than the 806.10 & 805.10 because it was designed to be used without a leather wrap. I don't have a bare 803.10 to check its thickness.

I had an 803.10 wheel. The rim seemed the same as the 4 version. I was told they used the 803/plastic rim vs the rubber core rim just because it was slightly firmer base once the extra padding was added on. But If I understand the above correctly, yes, it was a thicker rim than a rubber core rim without its leather wrap.
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Feb 22 2017, 03:36 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

Mike, That is so cool and stick it on the car!

Can you take some more detailed pictures of the general stitching on the rim and the spoke stitching please? And just how squishy is it between thumb and forefinger?

From your photos the stitching and leather looks just like a period 911 rim, even down to the not overly fat doubled back join at the bottom of the wheel. I guess similar stitching makes sense as it was probably done in the same workshop as regular wheels

I have two leather wheels and a hard plastic one which is tossed in a corner. Perhaps I should store it a little better if that is the basis of the proper wheel

Final part number from the GT sports purpose manual once wrapped and complete is 914.347.901.00
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Feb 22 2017, 06:25 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(SixerJ @ Feb 22 2017, 01:36 PM) *

Mike, That is so cool and stick it on the car!

Can you take some more detailed pictures of the general stitching on the rim and the spoke stitching please? And just how squishy is it between thumb and forefinger?

From your photos the stitching and leather looks just like a period 911 rim, even down to the not overly fat doubled back join at the bottom of the wheel. I guess similar stitching makes sense as it was probably done in the same workshop as regular wheels

I have two leather wheels and a hard plastic one which is tossed in a corner. Perhaps I should store it a little better if that is the basis of the proper wheel

Final part number from the GT sports purpose manual once wrapped and complete is 914.347.901.00

This original wheel is firmer than the ones being rewrapped now, it is cotton and felt underneath still has some give but half as much as the ones being done today. No baseball stitching on this one cross stitch throughout.

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 22 2017, 07:48 PM
Post #8

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

This is one I had re-done @ Dallas Steering Wheel

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Feb 22 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 22 2017, 05:48 PM) *

Attached Image

Yes, Don does good work, he has done several wheels for me. I made the same mistake you did not knowing the original wheels have no padding on the spokes and cross stitch on the spokes not baseball.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 22 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #10

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 22 2017, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 22 2017, 05:48 PM) *

Attached Image

Yes, Don does good work, he has done several wheels for me. I made the same mistake you did not knowing the original wheels have no padding on the spokes and cross stitch on the spokes not baseball.

But it felt GOOD!
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Feb 23 2017, 12:38 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

Thanks for the info, that stitching and general method of wrapping is exactly the same as my thin uncomfortable early 911 wheel, even down to the little tuck / crimp on the spoke

A beautiful thing to behold (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Feb 25 2017, 06:53 PM
Post #12

Let me know if anyone needs any specific pictures of this wheel it is shipping out to the new owner on Monday.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:41 AM