Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Koni Shock base adjustment setting
tazz9924
post Feb 22 2017, 05:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,779
Region Association: None

Ok so, Im doing a 5 lug conversion with koni struts and im at the point before i have to put it in and i have to set the shocks rebound stiffness. Im gonna be doing autocross and even track days in this car so i was thinking of 1/2 to 3/4 of full adjustment stiff or 1-1.5 full turns. Is there an ideal setting for a 914 or is the setting: Just wing it
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Feb 22 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

is this a red or yellow shock?
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Feb 22 2017, 07:44 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(messix @ Feb 22 2017, 04:58 PM) *

is this a red or yellow shock?

red
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Feb 22 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

I think there are a lot of things you have to consider. Sway bar/s, spring rates front and rear, tires, tire pressure, driving style, alignment. My car has a 22mm weltmeister front bar, stock fromt torsion bars, 140# rear springs, 205/55/16. For autocross I only adjust my reds in the front to full hard. The rears are always full soft. Get out and drive it. Talk to the instructors or the gear heads that work on the cars when your there. Have people observe how you car looks when it's on the track. Make one change at a time. Keep going back and have fun!
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Feb 22 2017, 09:30 PM
Post #5

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Try it at about 3/4 firm as a starting point. See how it works and adjust according. For street setting 1/2 way is suitable to most drivers.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Feb 23 2017, 10:42 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

Agreed as to Bruce's suggestion / He sold me a pair of reds way back when and we set them in his shop / Ride is firm and flat in the corners but tolerable by my lovely wife's decerning requirements for ride comfort.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 23 2017, 05:02 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 22 2017, 07:25 PM) *

I think there are a lot of things you have to consider. Sway bar/s, spring rates front and rear, tires, tire pressure, driving style, alignment. My car has a 22mm weltmeister front bar, stock fromt torsion bars, 140# rear springs, 205/55/16. For autocross I only adjust my reds in the front to full hard. The rears are always full soft. Get out and drive it. Talk to the instructors or the gear heads that work on the cars when your there. Have people observe how you car looks when it's on the track. Make one change at a time. Keep going back and have fun!

All good advice. It would really help to see the car in a hard cornering situation. Post a picture. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Also turn-in and understeer, especially on tight corners, can be controlled by using a torque bias differential. Huge difference can be realized.

Are you mostly doing autox or track as well?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 24 2017, 09:21 AM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Are your konis the externally adjustable, white knob on the top, or the internally, you compress them and turn the shaft, version? For the later I would suggest a medium setting. PITA to change the setting. Full/mostly hard for a primarily street driven car in Tacoma is going to be miserable.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Feb 24 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 24 2017, 07:21 AM) *

Are your konis the externally adjustable, white knob on the top, or the internally, you compress them and turn the shaft, version? For the later I would suggest a medium setting. PITA to change the setting. Full/mostly hard for a primarily street driven car in Tacoma is going to be miserable.

agreed even stock suspension isn't enough to cope with the stupid brick road hills of downtown
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:24 PM