Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bad Vibrations, front end, steering vibration, comes and goes-causes?
DRPHIL914
post Feb 23 2017, 10:46 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

so I know the most obvious is a possible wheel balance issue and ill start there, - but here is what makes me thinks its not that- its at about same speed or close, between 60 and 70- goes away sometimes if going same speed but going around a corner etc- could be linkage? -
whats new- the whole front end with in last 2 years except the shock inserts. - 5 lug hubs new bearings last year with new A-arms and bushings and turbo tie rods, front end was balance and and aligned by professional shop(bob woodman tires) that is a 911 race shop too- turbo tie rods were installed by Georgie- 40+years working on Porsche's recently retired from HHI Porsche forced retirement at 70- SO -

maybe check tire balance first I suppose? ths shocks feel fine but I don't know how old they are- all bushings etc were new with in 2 years-

Thanks,

Phil

PS - how hard is it to put new inserts in front and do I have to re-align afterward??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Feb 23 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,948
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 23 2017, 08:46 AM) *

so I know the most obvious is a possible wheel balance issue and ill start there, - but here is what makes me thinks its not that- its at about same speed or close, between 60 and 70- goes away sometimes if going same speed but going around a corner etc- could be linkage? -
whats new- the whole front end with in last 2 years except the shock inserts. - 5 lug hubs new bearings last year with new A-arms and bushings and turbo tie rods, front end was balance and and aligned by professional shop(bob woodman tires) that is a 911 race shop too- turbo tie rods were installed by Georgie- 40+years working on Porsche's recently retired from HHI Porsche forced retirement at 70- SO -

maybe check tire balance first I suppose? ths shocks feel fine but I don't know how old they are- all bushings etc were new with in 2 years-

Thanks,

Phil

PS - how hard is it to put new inserts in front and do I have to re-align afterward??

Typical symptom of poor wheel/tire balance, and less likely failing tire side wall.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 23 2017, 10:54 AM
Post #3

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Feb 23 2017, 11:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 23 2017, 08:46 AM) *

Thanks,

Phil

Typical symptom of poor wheel/tire balance, and less likely failing tire side wall.

thanks, - reminds me I forgot to mention that tires are 205/55-16 Bridgestone Potenza, and are 18 months old with about 3000 miles on them- I could have lost a balance weight- im going to go check and then have both fronts checked - im going to go back to 6" rims in rear and sell my 7" x16" fuchs so when I re- mount the tires on the new rims I might swap the fronts to the rear and see if there is a difference -
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 23 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #4

Dr. Phil

Better vibrations! Rebalance today- static and dynamic done in front tires and vibration at 60-65 is gone, just a bit at 70, so next week I wil take it over and have them do the rear -
Oh and a change in the CHT has given me a much better idle and no hesitation or loping once hot- it was cutting out so now after an hour drive none but we'll see after a few more drives-
+Quote Post
struckn
post Feb 23 2017, 06:06 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 23 2017, 02:46 PM) *

Better vibrations! Rebalance today- static and dynamic done in front tires and vibration at 60-65 is gone, just a bit at 70, so next week I wil take it over and have them do the rear -
Oh and a change in the CHT has given me a much better idle and no hesitation or loping once hot- it was cutting out so now after an hour drive none but we'll see after a few more drives-

Sounds like you got it under control. I was going to suggest you swap front and rear tires to see if the vibration moves with the tires to the rear which would help to see if its a tire.

I'm dealing with a similar concern. My rear tires might be out of balance, but it seems to be felt more when on Asphalt back roads. Point being I'm thinking it could be just that the road surface is rougher. Last year I got rid of KYB Shocks, and installed Bosch/Sacks. It made a big improvement. I'm still getting a little up and down vibration from the rear that comes and goes. Hoping it's not Flat Spots on the Yokohamas, or Universals, or suspension issues. Not a major issue just a little annoying.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:21 PM