Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front tow hooks, with a GT front valence
23e Heure
post Feb 24 2017, 06:07 AM
Post #1

Busy overtaking 911s

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,057
Region Association: England

My car is off to paint very soon and I need to decide quick what to do about front tow hook/eye.

We've added GT flares, and GT fibreglass front bumper and valence (along with whole load of other GT style mods which I'll try to document in a separate thread):

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i13.photobucket.com-19057-1487938048.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i13.photobucket.com-19057-1487938048.2.jpg)

What I'm stuck on here is the best front tow option, hopefully one which involves minimal modification required to the front valence.

The valence fits with 2 bumps neatly over the ends of the suspension pick up points.
And most of the front tow options I have found are designed to attach to and protrude ahead of those pick up points, which may mean butchering the valence?

For example the rennline option. You'd surely have to completely remove those valence 'bumps', right?: Rennline E03 - weblink

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.rennline.com-19057-1487938048.3.jpg)

I'd prefer to only need to cut a slot in the valence or bumper (or even have the eye protrude through the gap between the bumper and valence.

I like what's happning on these cars for example, although I confess in these shots I can't see if/how they have cut the lower valence, let alone what hook and mount they are using!:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com-19057-1487938048.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com-19057-1487938049.5.jpg)

Can anyone give me some more ideas of the options people have gone with please!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 24 2017, 08:43 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

The factory moved the bottom tow hook to the front. You can see the orange tow hook in the picture. Otto's used the 75 bumper mounts on my car and put a hole in my front bumper similar to the early rear chrome bumper cars. I can post a picture later. Personally for your car I would remove the stock mount and move it to the front, unless you need a towing eye for race purposes like my car.
Restoration design did have NOS 914 tow hooks in stock.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 24 2017, 09:22 AM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Not crazy about the FG valance, looks boxy .

You need a chrome bumper, right now my Stainless steel GT front bumper prototype is being made. Once approved I will also be producing a SS paint grade valance.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 24 2017, 09:43 AM) *

Not NOS, it's an exact reproduction (at least damn close) of the stock tow hook. I don't think it will be useful for the GT valance.
+Quote Post
23e Heure
post Feb 24 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #4

Busy overtaking 911s

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 24 2017, 02:43 PM) *

The factory moved the bottom tow hook to the front. You can see the orange tow hook in the picture. Otto's used the 75 bumper mounts on my car and put a hole in my front bumper similar to the early rear chrome bumper cars. I can post a picture later. Personally for your car I would remove the stock mount and move it to the front, unless you need a towing eye for race purposes like my car.

Thanks, let's see what you've got.
The stock mount is gone, we've opened the front trunk floor for oil cooler airflow.
I need a race towing eye, strong enough in case I need pulling out of the gravel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
23e Heure
post Feb 24 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #5

Busy overtaking 911s

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 24 2017, 03:22 PM) *

Not crazy about the FG valance, looks boxy .
You need a chrome bumper, right now my Stainless steel GT front bumper prototype is being made. Once approved I will also be producing a SS paint grade valance.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

After lots of umm-ing and ahh-ing, I am actually removing the chrome bumpers from the car and replacing with FG.

I actually prefer the FG look on a GT, looks harder / more purposeful to me, and that's what I am after. My ones will look better once they are satin black.

Each to their own (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 24 2017, 02:56 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Here's a couple pictures of the tow hook. I can get some pictures of it on the car tonight.
It just bolts to the two bumper shock mounts on the passenger side. My car used to have Fiberglass GT bumpers, but I changed it to Chrome, since its mainly a street car now.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
23e Heure
post May 20 2017, 12:42 AM
Post #7

Busy overtaking 911s

Has anyone got one of the Patrick Motorsports one here?: Patrick Motorsports link

- If you have, would you be kind enough to measure it for me?

I want to be sure it protrudes far enough out from the front of the car to clear the valence.

Thanks!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/patrickms.s3.amazonaws.com-19057-1495262532.1.jpg)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:20 PM