Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does the paint in the trunks always match the exterior from the factory?
pmead
post Feb 26 2017, 08:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,813
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have a Saturn Yellow 73' Someone has resprayed it in a non-correct yellow. They did a terrible job. I have found a couple of chipped areas in the trunk that show a greenish yellow (to green for Saturn yellow) color under the yellow. Weird color for a primer, does not act/look like bondo. Did the trunk area match the exterior for a 73' 1.7 car? When I repaint I want it to be correct. Is it possible that some PO changed the paint code plate?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 26 2017, 08:25 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(pmead @ Feb 26 2017, 09:23 AM) *

I have a Saturn Yellow 73' Someone has resprayed it in a non-correct yellow. They did a terrible job. I have found a couple of chipped areas in the trunk that show a greenish yellow (to green for Saturn yellow) color under the yellow. Weird color for a primer, does not act/look like bondo. Did the trunk area match the exterior for a 73' 1.7 car? When I repaint I want it to be correct. Is it possible that some PO changed the paint code plate?

Interior surfaces and exterior are always the same color
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Feb 26 2017, 08:37 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It's easy to change the paint plate, but tougher to repaint certain areas. I'd look around the fuel tank or the passenger compartment under upholstery to try to find the original color then check the color chart to see what was available in the year of manufacture. Though Porsche did have paint to sample programs back in the day, few if any 914s had this option.
+Quote Post
stevend914
post Feb 26 2017, 09:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,670
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(pmead @ Feb 26 2017, 08:23 AM) *

This may help: http://p914.com/p914_paint_73.htm
+Quote Post
pmead
post Feb 26 2017, 01:31 PM
Post #5

I may have figured it out. I found a couple areas that had chipped in the rear trunk, I chipped a little more and the paint under the dark yellow matches my PPG sample for L13M Saturn yellow. However I also found some Zambeze green? on a couple spots around inner head light bucket areas. The floorboards and rockers are excellent on the car and I feel at one point it has had a rotisserie restoration done. I believe the rust areas were cut out and replaced with parts from a green donor! The only other explanation is that it began life Saturn yellow then was green and then returned to the wrong yellow. I don't think that is the case because I could only find green in a few obscure spots. When the wrong yellow was applied they must have had the car totally disassembled because the this darker yellow is behind and under many accessories.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 26 2017, 02:47 PM
Post #6

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Yeah, quite likely they replaced some panels during an accident repair or restoration. I know we changed several panels on my Six during the rust/old accident repair replacement. As long it was done correctly, not a big deal.
+Quote Post
pmead
post Feb 26 2017, 03:23 PM
Post #7

I have done quite a few "rusterations" and this looks good from what I can see so far. The truth we will be told when I strip it and see if all rust was removed, how the seams look, how much bondo etc..... I wont get to it until this summer. The mechanicals seem well sorted other than a bad vacuum pod on the dizzy. Usually when people spend time and do one part of a build correctly the rest of the job was done correctly as well. I think this paint job probably looked good when it was completed. The spider webbing and cracking can happen over time when enamel is to thick, or multiple coats are applied to quickly.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:35 PM