Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New member - introduction and questions...
pugface
post Feb 26 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,735
Region Association: None

Hi guys

New member here, figured I should introduce myself, as I may be asking lots of questions!

I've wanted a 914 since seeing one of the college kids driving one when I was in high school - in the 80's. Unfortunately, living in the salty Midwest, I don't think I saw another one in person since the 80's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I've also always wanted to learn more about how to fix and restore cars. And, I have a son in middle school that hopefully can learn a little as well.

Like most of you, my budget is NOT unlimited (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) so I was looking for a car that needed some work, but not too much. And a price to reflect that. I found and bought something this month that seemingly fit the bill - a project, but one that starts, shifts, and stops. all pieces (and more) there, if not all the same color. A 1973 1.7 retaining its D-Jetronic, and NO rust. Well, pretty much no rust...

So, as to the problems, when I bought I was told it won't idle once it warms up. He thought it needed the timing set. From what I can tell, it is running very rich. The oil level was high, when I changed it, it smelled of gas. Car ran well enough for me to drive it a few miles around 'the block', but I wouldn't want to go any further than that.

So, with 914world as a resource, I found many things to check. But, I must admit that I am a novice at this - so to check fuel pressure, I ordered a simple fuel pressure tester kit from Amazon. But this is the first time I have attempted this, so I worry I am doing it wrong?

I hooked up the fuel pressure gauge to the test point on the fuel rail between 1 & 2 with a clamp. When I turn the key, and the pump fires for a bit, it runs right up to 30 psi. I then disconnected the coil wire and cranked the engine per Haynes. The gauge jumped to 70 psi! Do I have it hooked up right?

Of course, if my fuel pressure is that far off, it would explain a lot of the poor running. Adjusting the regulator per Haynes made little difference, so either my test is wrong, or the regulator is blown.

Now, when I got the car, I also inherited two other 914's worth of stripped parts to various degress. I loooked through the boxes and found a second regulator, but it looked pretty sad and crusty. I installed it just to see what would happen. This time, I crank the engine, and fuel goes everywhere.

My cheap Amazon fuel pressure kit came with some hose I used to splice in - that hose ruptured! WTF. I'll go into twon this week and find some high-pressure fuel hose - in the meantime, does it sound like I had the gauge in the right place? If so, I'll order a new regulator and give it a try next weekend.

Thanks
pf

Oh, wait, you guys are going to do the THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS... thing, aren't you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Here's a pic - long way to go

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
pugface   New member - introduction and questions...   Feb 26 2017, 07:06 PM
ndfrigi   welcome to 914world and sickness with this toy...   Feb 26 2017, 07:16 PM
mramber   :wttc: The rust thing is a big deal, keep looking...   Feb 26 2017, 07:18 PM
mtndawg   "Like most of you, my budget is NOT unlimited...   Feb 26 2017, 07:35 PM
pugface   Thanks guys! Engine is dirty, longs looks goo...   Feb 26 2017, 09:47 PM
Blue6   :wttc: remember these are driver projects. Take y...   Feb 26 2017, 10:24 PM
McLovin   If you have some debris in your fuel line, or our ...   Feb 27 2017, 12:33 AM
falcor75   I had a kink in the return line under the tank (ne...   Feb 27 2017, 06:47 AM
pugface   I had a kink in the return line under the tank (n...   Mar 4 2017, 11:15 AM
ndfrigi   I had a kink in the return line under the tank (...   Mar 4 2017, 11:35 AM
Cairo94507   :wttc: Looks like a nice starting point. Don...   Feb 27 2017, 07:16 AM
Shadowfax   :wttc: from Louisiana There is another member here...   Feb 27 2017, 08:38 AM
Dave_Darling   The high fuel pressure almost certainly means that...   Feb 27 2017, 12:46 PM
pugface   Is this the diagram? http://www.pelicanparts.com/...   Feb 27 2017, 06:56 PM
pugface   So, I'm waiting for my magnetic spark plug soc...   Mar 1 2017, 07:01 PM
ndfrigi   So, I'm waiting for my magnetic spark plug so...   Mar 2 2017, 02:10 AM
pugface   Wait, if that is coming off the passenger fuel rai...   Mar 1 2017, 08:29 PM
Cracker   Welcome. Drove through Boerne with family in tow l...   Mar 1 2017, 09:16 PM
Jeff Bowlsby   Look up Mark Heard here, great guy and knows 914s ...   Mar 1 2017, 11:14 PM
pugface   So, I traced it back to the fuel tank. The Previou...   Mar 5 2017, 09:14 PM
McLovin   So, I traced it back to the fuel tank. The Previo...   Mar 5 2017, 10:08 PM
914Sixer   Sent you a PM with my phone number.   Mar 5 2017, 09:36 PM
pugface   Looks like I'll be draining the gas and pullin...   Mar 6 2017, 09:57 PM
cwpeden   http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t...   Mar 7 2017, 01:05 AM
Brasil914   Hi guys New member here, figured I should introd...   Mar 7 2017, 07:41 AM
pugface   Hi guys - quick follow-up It was the gas tank cru...   Mar 12 2017, 06:43 PM
ndfrigi   Congratulation sir for able to fixed it and able t...   Mar 12 2017, 08:11 PM
CatDaddy60   Hello and welcome to the club! There are seve...   Mar 13 2017, 01:46 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 04:08 AM