Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New member - introduction and questions...
914Sixer
post Mar 5 2017, 09:36 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sent you a PM with my phone number.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McLovin
post Mar 5 2017, 10:08 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 20,360
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(pugface @ Mar 5 2017, 10:14 PM) *

So, I traced it back to the fuel tank. The Previous Owner had replaced all the fuel lines, and when he put the gas tank bank in, it kinked the return line.

I drained and pulled the tank, and sort of carefully re-seated the line so it doesn't kink while installing the tank.

I measured around 30 psi now with fuel pump running. I bolted everything back up, and double checked the pressure - 30 psi with pump running (but engine not on)

I started the car and it seemed to run much better, but as it warmed up, it started getting worse. While the engine was running I saw the fuel pressure needle moving a bit erratically, and then after a few minutes, it was lowering. I was trying to adjust the regulator to keep up, but I don't think that is the issue.

At the end, it was running under 20 psi with the engine on. I turned the car off, and checked it by jumping the relay, and with engine off, I have a steady 30 psi

Let me guess - I ended up kinking the other line under the tank while being so careful with the first one? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Or, perhaps a problem that has been there the whole time, just masked by the high fuel pressure so I didn't notice before.

That sounds like crap in your tank, or maybe even in the pickup tube or a restriction in the line between the pump and the tank. If there was a restriction between the tank and the fuel pump, the pump would need to pull harder to do it's job, starving the engine and dropping pressure. Maybe you did kink the line between the pump and the tank. Maybe you have rust flakes building up in the bottom of your tank or in your pickup tube that build up when under suction, but then when you cut the car off, the rust flakes move away from the inlet. Maybe you have rust flakes swimming around your filter.
+Quote Post
pugface
post Mar 6 2017, 09:57 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 20,735
Region Association: None

Looks like I'll be draining the gas and pulling the tank again this weekend. At least now I know how!
+Quote Post
cwpeden
post Mar 7 2017, 01:05 AM
Post #24

Great White North, huh?

Member No.: 6,693
Region Association: Canada

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2458688

This is what you're looking for. If you look down the filler with a flash light at the right angle you can see it. At the bottom of the tank just closer to center from the filler.

With this one I could drive the car for about 5 mins before it would die.
+Quote Post
Brasil914
post Mar 7 2017, 07:41 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 20,905
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(pugface @ Feb 26 2017, 08:06 PM) *

Hi guys

New member here, figured I should introduce myself, as I may be asking lots of questions!

I've wanted a 914 since seeing one of the college kids driving one when I was in high school - in the 80's. Unfortunately, living in the salty Midwest, I don't think I saw another one in person since the 80's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I've also always wanted to learn more about how to fix and restore cars. And, I have a son in middle school that hopefully can learn a little as well.

Like most of you, my budget is NOT unlimited (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) so I was looking for a car that needed some work, but not too much. And a price to reflect that. I found and bought something this month that seemingly fit the bill - a project, but one that starts, shifts, and stops. all pieces (and more) there, if not all the same color. A 1973 1.7 retaining its D-Jetronic, and NO rust. Well, pretty much no rust...

So, as to the problems, when I bought I was told it won't idle once it warms up. He thought it needed the timing set. From what I can tell, it is running very rich. The oil level was high, when I changed it, it smelled of gas. Car ran well enough for me to drive it a few miles around 'the block', but I wouldn't want to go any further than that.

So, with 914world as a resource, I found many things to check. But, I must admit that I am a novice at this - so to check fuel pressure, I ordered a simple fuel pressure tester kit from Amazon. But this is the first time I have attempted this, so I worry I am doing it wrong?

I hooked up the fuel pressure gauge to the test point on the fuel rail between 1 & 2 with a clamp. When I turn the key, and the pump fires for a bit, it runs right up to 30 psi. I then disconnected the coil wire and cranked the engine per Haynes. The gauge jumped to 70 psi! Do I have it hooked up right?

Of course, if my fuel pressure is that far off, it would explain a lot of the poor running. Adjusting the regulator per Haynes made little difference, so either my test is wrong, or the regulator is blown.

Now, when I got the car, I also inherited two other 914's worth of stripped parts to various degress. I loooked through the boxes and found a second regulator, but it looked pretty sad and crusty. I installed it just to see what would happen. This time, I crank the engine, and fuel goes everywhere.

My cheap Amazon fuel pressure kit came with some hose I used to splice in - that hose ruptured! WTF. I'll go into twon this week and find some high-pressure fuel hose - in the meantime, does it sound like I had the gauge in the right place? If so, I'll order a new regulator and give it a try next weekend.

Thanks
pf

Oh, wait, you guys are going to do the THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS... thing, aren't you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Here's a pic - long way to go

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) so just seeing you are outside of San Antonio. I was there about two years ago and went 87 toward stockdale. (Might have been 181) more south. But I drove past a hous on the right that had two 914s sitting out side wish I had a trailer and my truck at that point and not the fusion rental I was in
+Quote Post
pugface
post Mar 12 2017, 06:43 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 20,735
Region Association: None

Hi guys - quick follow-up

It was the gas tank crushing and kinking the fuel lines, just as many of you pointed out! I through I did a through search of the archives, and the internet, and some nice 914 sites, and couldn't find the answer. Of course, now that you all pointed it out, I can find it easily in the archives. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

The PO had installed all new gas lines, including nice long ones under the tank for ease of installation. I went out yesterday, and pulled the tank up a few inches, car ran great, steady fuel pressure. Re-seated the tank, and drove for a little bit, but then fuel pressure got erratic and it died. Sigh.

Today I put the front up on ramps, so I could possibly see the kinks through the access panel underneath. I pulled the tank up, tried pre-coiling the lines, and put the tank bank down. Now fuel pressure was up to 70 psi again! Popped the tank up, and cut the lines to the shortest length where I could still install the clamps. Dropped it down, and fuel pressure was erratic.

OK, enough messing around, even if I got the lines to magically un-kink momentarily, I didn't like where this was going - I don't want it to run for 100 miles and then strand me. Looking for kinks in the access hole, I noticed I could probably tighten the clamps right there. D'oh - I guess that's why the hole there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I cut the hoses to about 6 inches, dropped the tank back in, and with some effort connected the lines through the access hole and tightened the clamps.

Steady 2 bar of pressure! Took it for a 3 mile drive around the neighborhood, runs great! Well, I don't know about great, but it runs strong, revs nicely. I took another test drive, and got a few miles out, so I decided to go all the way into town (15 miles, 30 miles round trip) to get gas. Took the 60 MPH main road like a champ. I'm sure there is room for improvement, setting timing and idle, etc., but I'm pretty happy that the car is now driveable!

So, thank you to all who responded,a nd for the archives - kinked lines under fuel tank.

Next up: replace muffler, check door latch, ask 914world about strange missing parts...

Thanks
pf
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Mar 12 2017, 08:11 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Congratulation sir for able to fixed it and able to drove it without issue(s)!
+Quote Post
CatDaddy60
post Mar 13 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 15,451
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello and welcome to the club! There are several people located close by by TX standards I think there's 3or 4 of us in Austin and a couple in San Antonio. I'm in Pflugerville glad you were able to get it running
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 01:14 PM