Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flywheel for 6-conversion to 901 gearbox, Vendors disagree on part no.
rwfms
post Mar 9 2017, 09:00 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,365

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 9 2017, 02:36 AM) *

QUOTE(rwfms @ Mar 9 2017, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 8 2017, 02:52 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) the starter stock is more than enough,Bosch make great starters when I reconditioned them years ago most only needs a clean and lube,the worst I found needed commutator machined and new brushes and these were old starters back then,save the reduction high torque starters for high comp petrol motors and diesels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .
Sounds like the OP may have had a flywheel with no induction hardened teeth...easy to check with a hand file the tips should be bloody hard.

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know when I get the gearbox out.
Ron

Sorry to seem forgetful but did we work out what your engine was ,sorry but never googled your part number for the flywheel presume a 6 bolt ?

'70 911 2.2E, 6bolt
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rwfms
post Mar 9 2017, 09:09 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 5,365

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 9 2017, 02:36 AM) *

QUOTE(rwfms @ Mar 9 2017, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 8 2017, 02:52 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) the starter stock is more than enough,Bosch make great starters when I reconditioned them years ago most only needs a clean and lube,the worst I found needed commutator machined and new brushes and these were old starters back then,save the reduction high torque starters for high comp petrol motors and diesels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .
Sounds like the OP may have had a flywheel with no induction hardened teeth...easy to check with a hand file the tips should be bloody hard.

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know when I get the gearbox out.
Ron

Sorry to seem forgetful but did we work out what your engine was ,sorry but never googled your part number for the flywheel presume a 6 bolt ?

I think Root Werks is right about the timing marks on the flywheel. I haven't confirmed that with the vendor but I will.
+Quote Post
larryM
post Mar 11 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #23

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 7 2017, 05:10 PM) *

I prefer the 74- up 911 starter. The starter is 1.5 hp, almost twice the horsepower of the .8 stock starter. Plug and play.

be aware - there was a run of those 1.5 starters that had a "thin" nose bushing - which tended to crack - resulting in chewed-up ring gear

i trashed 2 new 914-6/901 flywheels with one of those 1.5 Bosch starters (that i b'ot new) before i found that cause on a pelican thread - i no longer know the link but it was circa April 2012 after i posted the message below:

- you can just get the ring gear replaced by RIMCO - they do a nice job and understand our stepped flywheels http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ear-repair.html

i now run a genuine IMI HiTorq on my 3.2 - and on my 454 chevy - both b'ot on eBay

- if ya just want a good used higher torq oem 3.2 Bosch starter ('89) - i have one on shelf FS

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 11 2017, 01:56 PM
Post #24

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(larryM @ Mar 11 2017, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 7 2017, 05:10 PM) *

I prefer the 74- up 911 starter. The starter is 1.5 hp, almost twice the horsepower of the .8 stock starter. Plug and play.

be aware - there was a run of those 1.5 starters that had a "thin" nose bushing - which tended to crack - resulting in chewed-up ring gear

i trashed 2 new 914-6/901 flywheels with one of those 1.5 Bosch starters (that i b'ot new) before i found that cause on a pelican thread - i no longer know the link but it was circa April 2012 after i posted the message below:

- you can just get the ring gear replaced by RIMCO - they do a nice job and understand our stepped flywheels http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ear-repair.html

i now run a genuine IMI HiTorq on my 3.2 - and on my 454 chevy - both b'ot on eBay

- if ya just want a good used higher torq oem 3.2 Bosch starter ('89) - i have one on shelf FS

Great info!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 02:16 AM