Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Megashift Trans Controller, Controlling Boxster/996 Tiptronic Boxes?
Chris H.
post Mar 20 2017, 08:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hey All,

I'm working on a solution for a certain large, square German vehicle and wanted to bounce this off of the electronics gurus. Might also be helpful down the road for those who might want to do a tiptronic Boxster trans in their 914s.

So...the challenge for me is that there are only a couple of automatic transmissions that are pointed in the right direction to use in the Vanagon and only one that can handle more than ~150 hp for a significant period of time. That would be the 911 tiptronic. My initial thought was to use a 964/993 trans which does not have a key driven immobilizer. Looking through the wiring diagrams I THINK I can figure out a way to run it with the stock TCU.

But then I found the Megashift trans controller:

Megashift!

IF (big if) I am reading the directions right, it appears you need the shift solenoid configuration (probably more stuff too), and then it should be fairly easy to control.

So the questions are:

1. How easy/hard do you think this would be? Seems like you program the solenoid shift config for each gear, kick down, a few other settings like idle increase, etc?

2. Since the security logic for the immobilizer is not associated with the trans itself, do you think this fully bypasses the immobilizer? Seems like it but I know very little about the tiptronic box.

3. Is there another stock automatic TCU from a VW or Audi that could be adapted to run this? EDIT: The Passat TCU MIGHT WORK. Same trans model #...ZF5HP19... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

If we can make this work it could be a great thing for those wanting/needing an automatic solution. I'll give it a shot if the feedback is good.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Chris H.
post Mar 20 2017, 11:09 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thanks Andrew! Totally agree for a 914 I'd go Passat. Same trans really. Unfortunately with the Vanagon there is only one trans that I can use since the engine points out the back. What do you think about using a Passat 1.8T TCU on it? I guess I just compare the solenoid configurations. Holy crap are my eyes tired from staring at wiring diagrams! I think you're right on the immobilizer. As long as I don't use a TCU that is actually part of an immobilizer system like the 996 I think we're good.

This is what you have to buy with the later cars:

996 tip ecu

Chipped key and everything. No thanks! Everything before that is much less complex. Just have to find out what year the Passat changed over. Probably early 2000's

The 1.8t is actually a pretty cool swap for the Vanagon. I could find an automatic Passat parts car and use the TCU that comes with it. Wiring would be a lot easier. Just need the pig tail from the Porsche trans end. Then I keep the trans for a possible later project!

Thanks for the insight on JH Motorsports! They could do my ECU as well. Need to wash out several codes on the 1.8t to keep it from having a CEL, plus chip it to add some HP.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:34 AM