Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Just put in LED dash lights, I made the simple hard...
oakdalecurtis
post Mar 20 2017, 10:07 PM
Post #1

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

Just got eight dash LED bulbs from Super Bright LED's, BA7S-W Cool Whites. I thought I would just pop them in. Not so fast. I tried one new bulb in a center console gauge first. The LED bulb would not go into the plastic bulb fixture quite far enough to turn and lock due to a small metal rim on the bulb. I did not want to file the rim down on the bulb, so I removed the light fixture and filed about a 1/16 of an inch off the top. This would allow the bulb to go in far enough now to turn and lock. Then when I did get the bulb in, it didn't work. I quickly discovered that LED bulbs have a polarity and you must hook up the 2 wire leads in the correct polarity. Ahh, it worked now. I filed down the bulb fixtures on the other 2 console gauges and moved on to the dash gauges. Thankfully the metal bulb fixtures in the dash gauges fit the LED bulbs without needing shortening. Then I started working on the speedometer bulbs. I didn't seat and rotate one of the LED's completely in it's fixture and it fell out INSIDE the speedo! I had to remove the speedo from the dash and spend an hour trying to figure out how to get the LED bulb back out the hole without disassembling the speedo. I finally succeeded and put everything back together. Here's a few before and after pictures, but they don't really show the quality of the improvement in the light. The first picture is original bulbs, the second and third pics are the new LEDs.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
oakdalecurtis   Just put in LED dash lights   Mar 20 2017, 10:07 PM
whitetwinturbo   :Qarl: :Qarl: :Qarl:   Mar 20 2017, 10:41 PM
Larmo63   Looks great!!!!!   Mar 20 2017, 10:43 PM
RickS   LEDs are the way to go. I have the blueish ones t...   Mar 20 2017, 10:55 PM
jpapatrout   LEDs are the way to go. I have the blueish ones ...   Mar 22 2017, 06:04 PM
oakdalecurtis   LEDs are the way to go. I have the blueish ones...   Mar 22 2017, 06:49 PM
sb914   Nice!   Mar 22 2017, 06:10 PM
RickS   + 1   Mar 23 2017, 09:05 AM
Mikey914   I have both versions in stock. So if you have a ru...   Mar 23 2017, 09:20 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:44 PM