Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Left side ignition switch conversion-Alternate Idea, Conversion is completed.
gothspeed
post Mar 7 2018, 09:59 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 7 2018, 07:55 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 7 2018, 10:38 AM) *

Nice job doing the metal work for the ignition. That sheet metal piece looks new, where does one source such a piece?

Restoration design. They also make the metal washer. It’s ~ $8 so buy it at the same time.

cool, thank you for the info (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Mar 7 2018, 11:59 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 3,459

Getting back to the modification….next step is modifying the steering shaft.

I used a cutoff wheel to remove the steering lock tabs off the steering shaft of the 914-4 shaft. This is needed since the 911 ignition switch mounts 3.00 inches further down on the steering tube.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

After assembling the modified shaft into the steering tube I test fit everything to make sure the steering lock worked correctly. This modification is progressing well without any major issues so far.

Attached Image

I have two problems to solve before I can move forward. The first small problem is the gray wire with a brown strip that I mentioned previously. The other problem is how to space the three switches (headlight, emergency flasher, and fog light) to the left of the ignition switch. On the earlier cars without the dash vents there was more room to locate the switches.

Ideally I would move the emergency flasher to the right side of the steering column but this is somewhat difficult due to all the wires that attach to the back of the switch.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Mar 7 2018, 12:56 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(jkb944t @ Mar 7 2018, 09:59 AM) *

I have two problems to solve before I can move forward. The first small problem is the gray wire with a brown strip that I mentioned previously. The other problem is how to space the three switches (headlight, emergency flasher, and fog light) to the left of the ignition switch. On the earlier cars without the dash vents there was more room to locate the switches.

Ideally I would move the emergency flasher to the right side of the steering column but this is somewhat difficult due to all the wires that attach to the back of the switch.

Jeff B
You can make a small extension harness. With male spade connectors going into the OE harness and female spade connectors to your flasher switch at new location. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Mar 8 2018, 06:46 AM
Post #24

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 7 2018, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(jkb944t @ Mar 7 2018, 09:59 AM) *

Jeff B
You can make a small extension harness. With male spade connectors going into the OE harness and female spade connectors to your flasher switch at new location. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I looked at the relay again last night and I think your idea will be easier than I originally though. There are multiple wires coming to each terminal on the emergency flasher switch but I only need to use single wires for each terminal connection on the extension harness.

It makes more sense to me to have the emergency flasher switch to the right of the steering column than to try to squeeze it in on the left side.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Mar 8 2018, 12:56 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

Would it be easier to just make a harness for the fog switch. Less wires than the emergency flasher, aren’t there?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 8 2018, 02:19 PM
Post #26

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I moved my emergency flasher on my six conversion when I put in the 911 column and the key on the left. I just cut a long section with the plug out of an old scrap harness and spliced the wires together. Works great on the right.

+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Mar 8 2018, 04:06 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Mar 8 2018, 01:56 PM) *

Would it be easier to just make a harness for the fog switch. Less wires than the emergency flasher, aren’t there?

I agree that it would be a lot easier to move the fog light but it just seems like it should be next to the headlight switch.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Mar 8 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 8 2018, 03:19 PM) *

I moved my emergency flasher on my six conversion when I put in the 911 column and the key on the left. I just cut a long section with the plug out of an old scrap harness and spliced the wires together. Works great on the right.

This is exactly what I plan to do. I looked last night at a spare wiring harness I have and the wires I need are in that harness. I’ll just have to get the male and female connectors.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Mar 8 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #29

Below is the modified steering housing next to the standard 914-4 steering housing for comparison purposes.

Attached Image

Jeff B
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Mar 9 2018, 07:02 AM
Post #30

Finished up the ignition switch wiring harness this week. The ignition switch wiring harness wasn’t as hard as I expected since the wire locations at each end are basically straight forward. The wire locations are marked clearly on both the 914 ignition switch and the 911 ignition switch connector.

The connections are:

30-large red wire for main battery power
50-large yellow wire for starter
15- medium diameter black wire for fuses
X-medium diameter red wire for headlights
P-small gray wire for turn signal switch
?-small gray wire with brown stripe for key in ignition switch

I disassembled the 914-4 ignition switch to see if I could use the end of it to fabricate a connector. It would be much easier to just splice the wires into the existing wiring harness but I wanted to avoid cutting into the original wire harness.

Attached Image

I was able to use two of the pieces of the 914-4 ignition switch to fabricate the male end of the harness. I used a Dremel to cut slots down the side of the connector so that I could solder the wires to the contact pins. Once the wires were all connected I used JB Weld to seal up the slots on the side and back of the connector.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The next step was to disassemble the used 911 ignition switch connector.

Attached Image

I pulled all the wires out of the connector and then soldered in the new wires.

Attached Image

Below is the nearly finished wiring harness. I still have to figure out the gray wire with the brown stripe for the ignition buzzer. This isn’t real critical yet since I am not sure I even want the buzzer to work.

Attached Image

Jeff B
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Mar 9 2018, 08:17 AM
Post #31

workmanship is looking awesome! I like the custom connector adapter idea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Mar 9 2018, 09:35 PM
Post #32

Thanks, just a few details to finish. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish it this weekend.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
914work
post Mar 9 2018, 09:38 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 13,762

This is a great thread! Thank you
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Mar 12 2018, 11:11 AM
Post #34

I finished up the emergency flasher wiring harness extension as shown below. I used some wire from a spare wiring harness to make it look as factory as possible. Moving the flasher switch to the right of the steering column seemed like the most logical place for it. As others mentioned it would be easier to move the fog light switch so it is really a matter of preference.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The wiper switch needs to have the washer tube assembly removed since it will interfere with the 911 ignition switch. This will require going to the electric washer pump which was on my list to do anyway.

Attached Image

I also had to make a new sheet metal cover plate for the dashboard and cover it with some new vinyl sourced from 914 Rubber. This is needed since the modified steering column is smaller on the right side where the ignition switch used to be sticking out.

Once everything is assembled the pictures show what the final conversion looks like. I just need to source an ignition switch trim cover to complete the conversion.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

For me it was worth the effort since I really wanted a left-hand ignition switch. It was an interesting challenge that has a factory look and feel to it. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to someone else considering a similar conversion.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 12 2018, 11:59 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Wow, that looks great.

Good info and step by step.

Now go race at Le Mans........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 12 2018, 01:34 PM
Post #36

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The plastic ones can be done with epoxy, and a filler piece..
for comparison , here is the one I did (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Mar 12 2018, 10:50 PM
Post #37

Amazing results! Thank you for sharing these intricate details. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Mar 13 2018, 05:57 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 12 2018, 11:50 PM) *

Amazing results! Thank you for sharing these intricate details. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks for all the compliments. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Truthfully, I owe this 914 community for all the many helpful threads so many others have contributed over the years. I’m glad to be able to contribute something back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Jeff B
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Mar 13 2018, 02:31 PM
Post #39

jkb944t if possible post pics when you get the final appearance bezel installed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 12 2018, 12:34 PM) *

for comparison , here is the one I did (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Hmmm I didn't know there were plastic versions of this piece. Mod looks good!
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Mar 13 2018, 03:45 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 12 2018, 02:34 PM) *

The plastic body would certainly make the conversion easier. It looks great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Jeff B
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:36 PM