Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Amount of paint to re-paint a 914
Sea Dragon 914
post Mar 22 2017, 11:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 358
Region Association: Northern California

I'm considering shooting my own car this summer. I am thinking of using two stage paint and will be painting the exterior up to the weather rubber channels in the trunks and the door jambs.

Anyone know about how many gallons of paint it will take to shoot? I'm thinking three coats of base followed by two or three coats of clear. I've already finished most of the body work and have most of the car stripped and primered.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Mar 22 2017, 01:31 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

I painted the whole car inside and out.

For the undersides, inside the trunks and interior I used 5 quarts of PPG JAU two part single stage.

For the outside of the body, door jams, underside of trunk lids etc. I bought 1Gal of PPG DCC Concept, also single stage. Did 4 coats

not trying to sell PPG here, but its what I used.

I still have to paint the front trunk lid and it looks like I will have maybe under a quart of paint left.

Keep in mind the mix needed, this paint is 4-2-1 paint/reducer/hardener, so 1 gal of paint equals 1 3/4 gal of "ready to spray" (RTS) mixture

I would estimate 1 gal each of paint and clear with the correct reducers and hardeners should give you some left over to account for any mistakes, or future repairs. Its good to have extra of the same paint on hand rather than counting on a paint shop to get an exact match when mixing another batch.

Also plan on getting epoxy primer and some high build primer.
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Mar 22 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #3

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

Disclaimer - I'm not a painter.

My friend painted the exterior of mine and the jams (2 stage), we bought a gallon of DuPont Nason.
I think he did 2 oats of base and ended up with 2 quarts left. Not sure how much clear was used.

I later had him re-do the front fenders, hood, behind the front bumper, and inside the front and rear trunks.. that was about another quart. It really doesn't take much if done right.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Mar 22 2017, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

A lot of things go into how much base is required in addition to the area to be sprayed. Lower cost base (Nason, Limko, etc.) will take more coats to get full coverage then more expensive paints (Chromabase, Diamont, etc.). Lighter colors like yellow and white may need more coats to ensure maximum coverage then darker colors. I probably use a little more metallic over solid colors to allow getting the metallic evenly distributed on the final spray passes.

The last full 914 paint job I did a few years ago was L80E ivory and I used a bit less then 1.5 gallons of base which was reduced out 2:1, so about 2 gallons sprayed on. However this included painting inside the trunks, engine bay and completely underneath the car (done on rotisserie). For just the outside panels and jambs you should be able to do that easily with under one gallon of a good quality base and reduced per manufacturer's mixing instructions. Best to error by putting on more coats then necessary rather then trying to skimp on paint, then noticing shading variation with the primer showing through the basecoat later. The darker colors and reds are going to hide the primer better then say yellow or white, but important to get full coverage regardless of the color. If you are painting for the first time you probably should plan on minimum three coats with enough flash time between coats. A gallon of clear + activator + reducer (if needed) will be more then enough for two coats over your base coat.

Always good to have some base left over in case of future repairs or you want to paint inside the trunks. The base will hold up for several years kept tightly sealed in the can and away from heat.
+Quote Post
Sea Dragon 914
post Mar 23 2017, 10:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 358

Thanks for the input. As I'm a newbie, I'll go with the two gallons as you suggest. I'm repainting the car the original Aubergine and will be not be painting the bottom (not rotisserie) and don't plan on painting the trunks. I may do the engine compartment when I pull the engine but that's later.

Not sure I'm going to dive into this or not. My buddy has a paint booth but I'm not sure it's currently accessible. We'll see and I'll post if I do it myself.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Mar 23 2017, 10:38 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,510
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Sea Dragon 914 @ Mar 23 2017, 11:07 AM) *

I'm repainting the car the original Aubergine

Can't say that I've seen one in Aubergine before...
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 23 2017, 11:28 AM
Post #7

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Mar 22 2017, 02:31 PM) *

For the outside of the body, door jams, underside of trunk lids etc. I bought 1Gal of PPG DCC Concept, also single stage. Did 4 coats

not trying to sell PPG here, but its what I used.

I still have to paint the front trunk lid and it looks like I will have maybe under a quart of paint left.

I used the same paint and same quantities on the outside. The only difference is that I had to redo the lids so I was left with almost no paint.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Calwaterbear
post Mar 23 2017, 11:33 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,123
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 23 2017, 09:38 AM) *

I can't say I even knew that was a color? guess you learn something everyday!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 23 2017, 11:41 AM
Post #9

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Typically base/clear your base coat with 1 gallon of paint + reducer will yield ~ 1.5gal paintable. Plus 1 gal clear and 1quart hardener = 1.25 gal paintable.

For trunks/interior you do one-2 coats clear, for body panels 3 coats clear probably the minimum I would do. I might say more as you have more protection as well as more room for wetsanding if you plan to do that.

I imagine this should be enough for a small 914. For my car I went single stage. Paint+reducer+hardener gave me about 1.6 gals sprayable. I sprayed my body with 7 light coats, plus the undersides of the trunk, plus I sprayed the trunk twice and the roof twice. I still have about 1/3gal of paint left, reducers/hardeners expire so I dont really worry about that.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Mar 23 2017, 02:20 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1099196379.jpg)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 23 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 23 2017, 04:20 PM) *

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1099196379.jpg)

Great color. Just had a 911 in that color in the shop. Every one loved it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Mar 24 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

AKA eggplant!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 07:56 AM