Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stereo speaker placement idea you might like, 6 speakers, sounds great even with no roof on!
oakdalecurtis
post Mar 26 2017, 04:42 AM
Post #1

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

I have two speakers on each side in front, one in the original footwell location and one in the door, wired together in series as one channel. Each pair make up the front left channel on one side and the front right channel on the other side. Then I have two speakers in the center of the backrest. One is the left rear channel and one is the right rear channel. When I balance the music out from front to back, it's really easy to hear the sound because it's coming from very close to your ears in the backrest. The front two speakers on each side compensate for their inferior position by being paired for each front channel. Don't need an amplifier. Works better than I could have hoped! (Might also notice the velcro strap around the fuse cover to keep it from being bumped off accidently)
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 26 2017, 08:40 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Just in case you're wondering why the only comments you get are crickets....
The majority here won't like it, at least the long time members and purists, they hate speakers in the doors and consider it a hack.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Mar 26 2017, 08:54 AM
Post #3

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just thinking Along the same line. Don't like the door speakers, although we see it there. With good speakers that fit the factory location.... Why the doors? Is it that much difference in sound?
+Quote Post
sb914
post Mar 26 2017, 08:55 AM
Post #4

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 26 2017, 07:40 AM) *

The majority here won't like it, at least the long time members and purists, they hate speakers in the doors and consider it a hack.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
RickS
post Mar 26 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

There is that much difference in sound using the doors. Do a little research on enclosures and air movement in speakers and the question will answer itself. Besides, How many modern cars do not use the doors?

I won't cut my door cards but know if I did the music quality would improve dramatically. Just trying to preserve what little originality I have left.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Mar 26 2017, 09:18 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,126

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 26 2017, 10:40 AM) *

That's pretty much it. And cutting into a good condition back pad is an idea few would do. Besides, I'd probably slam my elbow into it.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Mar 26 2017, 10:16 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If you like the sound, it's your car - go for it. I always thought some tweeters around the headrests or high up on the windshield pillars would be a good idea as well. I'd be hesitant to cut into original, good door cards or rear upholstery, but since you can get replacements that could be used, the sky's the limit.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Mar 26 2017, 10:58 AM
Post #8

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 26 2017, 09:16 AM) *

If you like the sound, it's your car - go for it. I always thought some tweeters around the headrests or high up on the windshield pillars would be a good idea as well. I'd be hesitant to cut into original, good door cards or rear upholstery, but since you can get replacements that could be used, the sky's the limit.

Actually, even though I've had the car for twenty years, it came to me with the door speakers already there. I just added the two back rest speakers to improve the sound quality while driving. I have never hit the flush speaker grills with my elbows, but I also have a raised console in the center to rest my right arm on while driving. Even though I have returned many items on the car toward original items, if doing some modification to the car makes it more fun to drive or use, I alter it in a heartbeat.
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Mar 26 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My car came with door speakers as well. I have sourced un-cut stock door panels. I'm going back to the stock locations using shallow depth two way separates Focal VRS100. A sub mounted in the side of the console sub will add a little bass. Undecided on the sub right now. I have a few different options. Going for a stock look with decent sound. Watch for my install later this year.

Another option I considered was buying a three way separate kit. Put the 5 1/4" in the door and the mid/tweeter behind the stock grill. For a while I searched for a pair of vintage Nakamichi SP-400 speakers which contained this set-up in a plate design. Just toss out the plate and grill and use the drivers and crossover parts. I read about custom installers doing this somewhere on the web on many different cars.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Mar 26 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #10

Oakdalecurtis

Sounds good Steu. The problem with any speakers down by your feet is poor sound quality while driving with the roof off. That's why if you can place any speakers closer to your ear, like in the backrest or even in the headrest, your stereo will sound much better while running.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Mar 26 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #11

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 26 2017, 08:08 AM) *

There is that much difference in sound using the doors. Do a little research on enclosures and air movement in speakers and the question will answer itself. Besides, How many modern cars do not use the doors?

I won't cut my door cards but know if I did the music quality would improve dramatically. Just trying to preserve what little originality I have left.

First off, doors are not the best place, just the most practical. Speakers far out by the feet are good for imaging. I've had good results putting the tweets by the windshield.

Second, the good sounding speakers are housed in tuned enclosures, not just screwed to the unsealed door's frame.

Third, I prefer the live concert sound, so no rear speakers unless it's subs, because bass is non-directional.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Mar 26 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #12

Oakdalecurtis

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 26 2017, 07:00 PM) *

First off, doors are not the best place, just the most practical. Speakers far out by the feet are good for imaging. I've had good results putting the tweets by the windshield.

Second, the good sounding speakers are housed in tuned enclosures, not just screwed to the unsealed door's frame.

Third, I prefer the live concert sound, so no rear speakers unless it's subs, because bass is non-directional.

I guess I'm just getting old and deaf, cause the louder and closer the music is to my ears, the better it sounds! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
RickS
post Mar 26 2017, 11:08 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 26 2017, 07:00 PM) *

Oh how I have been so humbled. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif). But since we are not on an audiophile site I decided not to go there. I too love live concert sound, but after Jimi died it's been tough to get him to play live in the car. Pitty.

Still not opening my door cards for speakers. Can listen to sports just fine with Focals.

I agree with another poster, it's your car and you can do whatever the hell makes you happy and everyone else can go pound sand if they don't like or 'approve' of it. Anything can be replaced. My car is totally bastardized and it ain't changing it for anyone. Purists can go discuss the proper color anodizing for their license plate bolts for all I care. BUT, I might feel differently if the standard 914 was a true collector car worth 6 figures, but since it doesn't even come close, except for real Sixes and GTs, it's not an issue.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Mar 26 2017, 11:13 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Mar 26 2017, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 26 2017, 09:16 AM) *

Actually, even though I've had the car for twenty years, it came to me with the door speakers already there. I just added the two back rest speakers to improve the sound quality while driving. I have never hit the flush speaker grills with my elbows, but I also have a raised console in the center to rest my right arm on while driving. Even though I have returned many items on the car toward original items, if doing some modification to the car makes it more fun to drive or use, I alter it in a heartbeat.

I like the backpad speakers, I did it myself (mines also already cut up to access the hole I put in the firewall for motor access).

I got the idea from the Viper. I test drove it, I thought its got a lot of power but I think the is 914 more fun. But heyyyy look at those speakers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 26 2017, 11:33 PM
Post #15

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I'm no audiophile. In fact, I'm a bit deaf after visiting a sandbox in the middle-east. But, I would never cut my doors. I used an early version of 914Rubber factory speaker housing replacement with Polk component midrange speakers. I also used the passenger footwell sub housing for base. Then to even it all out, I surface mounted the Polk component tweeters. I could have dropped them into holes in the dash but I couldn't bring myself to cut a panel.

The sound is very rich. Again, I'm not an audiophile. But it's pretty damned good...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
RickS
post Mar 26 2017, 11:46 PM
Post #16

Clean install.
+Quote Post
PancakePorsche
post Mar 28 2017, 11:25 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,373

Autosound and the 914. A challenge since 1970.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 28 2017, 11:42 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I have a radio block off plate and a six cylinder engine to listen to.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:37 AM