Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intermittent starter issues...
SKL1
post Apr 22 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

OK, I'm wiring this thing up and don't want to fry anything. Looking at my set up, the big red wire from the battery AND the slightly smaller red wire from the wiring loom go to one of the big studs on the Ford part, correct?

Then a big red wire goes from the other big stud on the Ford part to the starter along with the big wire from the battery. Then the yellow ignition wire goes on the little stud?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Apr 22 2017, 10:22 PM
Post #42

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Apr 22 2017, 08:12 PM) *

OK, I'm wiring this thing up and don't want to fry anything. Looking at my set up, the big red wire from the battery AND the slightly smaller red wire from the wiring loom go to one of the big studs on the Ford part, correct?

Then a big red wire goes from the other big stud on the Ford part to the starter along with the big wire from the battery. Then the yellow ignition wire goes on the little stud?

It's hard to say which wires go where since several schematics were shown on the previous page. Which one are you following? Please re-post the schematic you're following.

The schematic is your connection guide. Follow your schematic and you will complete the installation correctly. Make a paper copy of your schematic and as you make connections, trace the wires out on the schematic with a colored pen/pencil/crayon so you know you've made that connection. When all wires are colored in then you are done.

The heavy wire to from the battery must go directly to the starter, not the relay. This wire is the most crucial wire for the starter to have maximum power transfer. A wire the size of the wire going to the bendix can be run from the battery cable at the starter to the relay. The relay current in the bendix should be relatively low (less than 10A) whereas the starter current could be 100 to 200+ amps.

As Mark mentioned, something about this installation seems to be overly complicated for a relatively simple modification.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Apr 22 2017, 11:25 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Spoke- all the different schematics do get confusing, but I planned on Mark's. Just didn't know what to do with the other red wire from the loom that is currently on the starter solenoid with the big red wire from the battery.

Hope Mark chimes in again to help someone getting more confused the more he goes through this thread!!!

(I've enlarged the hole on the new bracket to mount on the lower starter bolt like Mark suggests. None of the new wires will need to go very far.)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 23 2017, 02:06 AM
Post #44

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

The yellow wire comes from the ignition switch and connects to the small post on the Ford relay, marked 'S'

The smaller gauge red wire comes from the alternator and sends the charging voltage to the battery. It needs to stay connected to the '+' battery cable, so connect it to one of the large posts on the Ford relay along with the '+' cable from the battery (as shown in all of the diagrams posted).

There is some disagreement on how to connect the remaining large gauge cable from the other large post on the Ford relay to the starter and the smaller gauge wire to the starter solenoid ... take your pick ... either method will work.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 23 2017, 06:25 AM
Post #45

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Ok...I have a solenoid in my bus and my /6 and trans on my lift cart, I'll do a complete install today and post a how to.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Apr 23 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #46

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Here's the entire starter circuit schematic with the Ford relay. There should only be 5 wires.

Wire Connections:

Existing 914 Wires:

o The heavy red cable from the battery goes directly to the large lug on the starter.

o The smaller red cable from the alternator goes directly to the large lug on the starter.

o The yellow wire from the ignition switch goes to the "S" terminal of the Ford relay

New Wires:

o Red (or any color) wire 12-16GA goes from large lug on the starter to one of the big lugs on the Ford relay; either lug will work.

o Black (or any color wire 12-16GA goes from one of the big lugs on the Ford relay to the Bendix Coil on the starter. either big lug on the Ford relay will work.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 24 2017, 06:56 AM
Post #47

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Enough of the armchair experts....my way of installing the Ford solenoid.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=308904
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 24 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #48

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

The starting issue stems from the ignition switch circuit (complete round-trip with the yellow wire). All the diagrams that have been posted address that issue.

The reason for utilizing a Ford relay is that it takes less current on the primary coil windings to complete the connection between the contacts (large studs) when energized. Those contacts are specifically designed to switch heavy amperage (current).

Whether one connects the battery cable directly to the starter's large stud or runs it through the relay, both methods cure the problem ... in other words, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Retired electrical engineer (aka: armchair expert) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:39 PM