Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dash Removal? Now or later, doing the interior first
Calwaterbear
post Mar 26 2017, 06:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,123
Region Association: Central California

Ok guys,
I am taking everyones advise here, picking a particular piece for the project of getting the 72 back on the road. I chose to tackle the interior first - stripped it bare - except for the handbrake, how the heck do you get that thing off? and scraped and grinded and wire wheeled off all the interior rust.

Just finishing that part, have to pull the gas and clutch/brake pedals, then ospho up and prime the metal, paint it, then go with new carpet kit, new seat bottoms, and hopefully 914 rubbers new back stop firewall piece.

Obviously The heater / defroster tubes are rotten (I assume that those 2" vent tubes coming off both sides , and going into the dash.

so I would rather finish up project 1 - the interior rust removal and repaint, before i tackle another piece of the puzzle, but am I getting myself into a bind by not doing the dash at the same time?

any advise is appreciated
thanks

carl j
auberry Ca
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Mar 26 2017, 06:57 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Good plan to finish one before starting another. Do put on your short list to check all the longs and evaluate rust. It can be extensive and is the backbone of the car. If you can assure a good foundation for your project you can assure many years of use without issue and it is more desirable (should you ever have to sell).
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Mar 26 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #3

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

But there are a few projects that are related...or at least best tackled "while you're at it." One example is replacing the nylon fuel lines with stainless. Best to do that before the interior is back together since you'll have better access to the tunnel. Post a list of the projects you've got in mind and the brain trust here will be happy to organize them for ya!
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Mar 26 2017, 08:50 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 18,984

Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
Calwaterbear
post Mar 27 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Mar 26 2017, 06:02 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

But there are a few projects that are related...or at least best tackled "while you're at it." One example is replacing the nylon fuel lines with stainless. Best to do that before the interior is back together since you'll have better access to the tunnel. Post a list of the projects you've got in mind and the brain trust here will be happy to organize them for ya!

OK so first, I am doing the interior, removing any surface rust, repairing any holes, Ospho the thing, then prime and paint. After that, new or refurbished pedals, a new carpet kit, and refurbishing seats and firewall board.

Dash will need a new Dash pad, at least, but right now, I'm not so sure it needs to come out. i'm hoping not to have to do any rewiring

once i am done there, I will turn my attention to getting the thing running, original engine, with the original injection.

Then once it is running and stopping - then I will go after the exterior, new paint whatever body work is necessary

+Quote Post
Calwaterbear
post Mar 27 2017, 11:07 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 26 2017, 05:57 PM) *

Good plan to finish one before starting another. Do put on your short list to check all the longs and evaluate rust. It can be extensive and is the backbone of the car. If you can assure a good foundation for your project you can assure many years of use without issue and it is more desirable (should you ever have to sell).

so tell a neophyte what a long is please?
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Mar 27 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

A long is a 'longitudinal'. The longs are behind the outer rocker panel. There is an inner and outer long. Welded together, they compose a very important structure to the unibody of the vehicle. They tend to suffer from rust issues, and specially on the passenger side of the vehicle towards the rear of the car, under and around the rear suspension console and sail panel area.
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Mar 27 2017, 11:35 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

By the way, I would suggest what others have here. Check those areas carefully. If the car is severely rusted, spending money on the interior is like putting lipstick on a pig.

I'd also suggest doing all of the mechanical work first. A nice interior is something to be proud of, but you can enjoy the car on the road with a ratty interior. Large portions of that interior will be coming out while performing all kinds of mechanical work, I'd personally wait until the car is all sorted out before tackling the i passenger compartment.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Mar 28 2017, 09:55 PM
Post #9

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Post lots of pics here most can tell you where to look form your pics. Once your foundation is good you will be able to enjoy the car for many years.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:27 PM