Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Driver side low beam not working, Driver side low beam
gspreeman
post Mar 26 2017, 07:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,395
Region Association: None

Okay, no voltage to the driver side low beam. Checked the fuse, it's okay. Pulled out and swapped the relay, still nothing. What is my next step? I am guessing the headlight switch? What else could it be aside from a cut wire somewhere.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 26 2017, 08:42 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The switch powers the high/low relay, and then the left and right circuits separate from each other. They go through separate fuses (did you check the right fuses?) for each light, then to the light. Then they ground separately as well.

If it's just the left low beam that is out, and you have removed and inspected and cleaned the fuse and it's still out, and only that light is out, the low beam filament is the most likely suspect.

Do you have +12V at the low beam connection of the headlight?

--DD
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Mar 26 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

Dave is spot on specific, as usual, but in a more general sense, I'll tell you the same thing I just told Gspree. Start by understanding and finding the wires for the fog lights, from the lights backwards. Use the electrical diagrams on this webpage to find the colors and endpoint of the wires.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm
Start with the page called "Current Flow Diagram 1974", about halfway down the page. Go through all six pages, they list part names, wire colors and endpoints. Find the fog light wiring, note the wire colors, and start at your fog lights going backwards. When you understand these diagrams, you can fix almost any electrical item in your car. Use a small battery and a test light with probe to make a simple continuity checker. Check each wire as you find it at each end to make sure you are getting current through it. I just got my fog lamps up and running, used a light up amber toggle switch to run them. I rewired them to bypass the lights switch and high beam block, so now I can use them as daytime running lights independent of the headlights at all.
+Quote Post
gspreeman
post Mar 26 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,395
Region Association: None

Checked the fuse and it's good. Used a voltage meter at the headlight socket and no power, (maybe a little if I recall...1 or 1.5 volts), but negligible.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Mar 26 2017, 09:56 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

May have lost ground. Did you check the socket at the back or the front? Wire may be backing out of socket.
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Mar 27 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

I'd think if you lost ground, the high beam wouldn't work also. read the voltage with the lead removed from the light, not a bridged reading with it connected. Wiggle the harness while reading voltage and look for a change caused by a weak or open wire inside the harness
The 1.5 volt seems to say a high resistance open in the lead from the fuse.
The first place I'd guess is the lead just prior to where the harness bends every time the headlights go up and down, then where the wiring harness exits the cockpit by the brake fluid container. If the fuse is tight and clean, is the wiring clean and secure at the fuse output connection.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:49 PM