Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1975 Fog Lights, 1975 Fog Lights
gspreeman
post Mar 26 2017, 07:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,395
Region Association: None

Can't seem to find an answer in the owner's manual. My 1975 has rectangular fog lights mounted in the big rubber bumper. How do they work? They don't light up but, I don't know if they should. I don't have a fog light switch in the interior. Are they just there as an option that doesn't function? Give me some clues. Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 26 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Check your dash if the switch is missing (open hole in the dash) to the left of the column.

If so, then you'll need to get a hold of a used amber bezel switch from someone on here, wire it up, then try it to see if it works.

If no hole, then you'd need the switch + wiring & to open the hole at the proper place to mount the fog light switch (find it from the backside & pop it out).

BTW - some of your other electrical problems could be due to old wiring with too much corrosion & resistance, &/or due to DAPOs hacking into the harness over the years of misuse & abuse! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

It will be a long slow process to track them all down.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
gspreeman
post Mar 26 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,395
Region Association: None

Okay, so, I'm not losing my mind. I definitely don't have a fog light switch on the dash. Someone, years ago really hacked the electric system. I found a wire that was spliced into the windshield wiper wire and a few other splices. Where do I connect the switch to? What would the wires look like coming from the fog lights?

Since you seem to know something about 914s, what about my dead low beam on the drivers side? Dirty or worn out headlight switch?
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Mar 26 2017, 08:37 PM
Post #4

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(gspreeman @ Mar 26 2017, 07:15 PM) *

Okay, so, I'm not losing my mind. I definitely don't have a fog light switch on the dash. Someone, years ago really hacked the electric system. I found a wire that was spliced into the windshield wiper wire and a few other splices. Where do I connect the switch to? What would the wires look like coming from the fog lights?

Since you seem to know something about 914s, what about my dead low beam on the drivers side? Dirty or worn out headlight switch?

Start by understanding and finding the wires for the fog lights, from the lights backwards. Use the electrical diagrams on this webpage to find the colors and endpoint of the wires.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm
Start with the page called "Current Flow Diagram 1974", about halfway down the page. Go through all six pages, they list part names, wire colors and endpoints. Find the fog light wiring, note the wire colors, and start at your fog lights going backwards. When you understand these diagrams, you can fix almost any electrical item in your car. Use a small battery and a test light with probe to make a simple continuity checker. Check each wire as you find it at each end to make sure you are getting current through it. I just got my fog lamps up and running, used a light up amber toggle switch to run them. I rewired them to bypass the lights switch and high beam block, so now I can use them as daytime running lights independent of the headlights at all.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 26 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Wiring diagrams would help you sort out which wires do what. The 74 diagrams available on Pelican are at least close to your 75's wiring.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

There should be a fog light switch on the dash to run the fog lights. It would have a gray/red (gray with a red tracer stripe), a black/blue, and a brown wire attached to it.

That should send power to the fog light relay which would be located on top of the fuse panel. One of the round relays that sits up there. It should have a red/black, a gray/red, a white/blue, and a white/yellow wire.

The white/yellow wires send the power from the relay to the lights, which then ground through separate brown wires.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:28 PM