Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS_Line bored WO 1.7L Case w/ 2.0 crankshaft - Sold
Jesco Reient
post Mar 27 2017, 09:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,690
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I am offering for sale a 1971 1.7L case That I have line bored. I have cut the cylinder spigots to clean them up. The oil plugs have been removed and tapped for pipe plugs. As offered before, The price also includes a new set of +0.50MM Mahle main bearings for the case/crank combination offered as well.

The 1.7L WO case and the 2.0L crankshaft are +0.50MM on the main Bores, with a 0.5MM/0.5MM crankshaft and bearings.

This case is being offered at $925.00 plus shipping. Detailed pictures of the bearing surfaces are available upon request. Detailed sheets of the final measurements are available also. For those interested in purchasing this case. As a side note since it is getting towards the season that everyone wants to start building their engines to get out and drive I am also still line boring your cases as well.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1013.photobucket.com-14690-1490628639.1.jpg)
The actual package being offered.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1013.photobucket.com-14690-1490628640.2.jpg)
This case had a damaged dipstick, Which I repaired using the process which I have used succesfully many times.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1013.photobucket.com-14690-1490628640.3.jpg)
The 3-4 side of the case, notice the area under the cylinder spigots where the material is solid, this along with the better aluminum of the earlier cases is one of the reason these cases are highly sought after for a performance 2056 build. Very solid.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1013.photobucket.com-14690-1490628640.4.jpg)
The 1-2 side of the case.

As a reminder, A few years back when I was building my wife's 914, the motor needed to be line bored, now before semi-retirement I built Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 engines and large Curtiss Wright 18 Cylinder radial engines for unlimited airplane racing. The tooling available that I was looking at was in my opinion substandard for the result I wanted. Even well known Type IV builders regarding line boring the Type IV case suggested finding one that did not need to be line bored. So as I did with the aircraft engines when a challenge came along, I studied the process, looked at what was being done and what it was going to take to get the result I wanted to achieve. So I made a new boring bar out of very stable linear way tool steel I made it as large as possible allowing the best available 90 degree cutting plane, Hard chromed the wear areas, used the highest quality indexable carbide boring tooling available and built a new bar with tapered expandable colletts on each end to locate the bar accurately. The total run-out on each of the expandable colletts was less than .0001 thousandths of an inch. I have done several cases up to this point with excellent results. I thought possibly it was time to explain this, and perhaps you will all understand the reason for the pricing. I also made the tooling for cutting the cylinder registers while torqued to a plate so the torque stresses are correct for those areas also.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1013.photobucket.com-14690-1490628641.5.jpg)
The tooling laid into a case to show it's fitment.

This last year we developed a 1/2 stud that when installed in the case acts to pin the the case from movement in the bearing bore area. The process is a refinement of the way that Len Hoffman at Hoffman machine was doing his race cases. Len was very helpful during the planning of that design.

You can PM me at this website, or send me an e-mail at BellCobraIV@AOL.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bretth
post Mar 27 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

This looks like a great deal to build an engine from.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Mar 27 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

John did my case, crankshaft and rockers for my 2056. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Mar 27 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #4

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

PM sent.
+Quote Post
BK911
post Mar 28 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,674
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 27 2017, 07:22 PM) *

John did my case, crankshaft and rockers for my 2056. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Mine too!! Beautiful work.
+Quote Post
Jesco Reient
post Mar 29 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 27 2017, 04:57 PM) *

PM sent.

I have replied back at Ya'
John
+Quote Post
Jesco Reient
post Mar 29 2017, 09:07 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 27 2017, 04:22 PM) *

Thank You! I try hard to make a good product. We are currently making the tooling to be able to line bore the 356 case as well.
John
+Quote Post
Jesco Reient
post Mar 29 2017, 09:08 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(BK911 @ Mar 28 2017, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 27 2017, 07:22 PM) *

Mine too!! Beautiful work.

Thank you, Maybe my next trip to Knoxville I will get to meet up with you. Probably later summer early fall.
John
+Quote Post
Jesco Reient
post Apr 11 2017, 09:51 AM
Post #9

Sold to Rob, On it's way to McMark for the build.
John
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 11 2017, 10:05 AM
Post #10

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

John,

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what kind of machine do you use to turn that boring bar and how do you hold the block? Your tooling looks awesome and I've been wondering since you first posted about it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:34 AM